Multimedia

Author Topic: 200,000 mile tune up advice needed  (Read 5727 times)

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
200,000 mile tune up advice needed
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:34 PM »
Dear mechanic, does this sound right for a 215,000mile tune up?
I drive 2000 ford ranger 2.5l standard transmission, 2WD
I received this truck from my old man uncle @110,000mi
and this is what I think i need done to my truck

1. and 2. at bottom

3. ive never flushed the coolant, gonna do that
4. ive never flushed my powersteering fluid, gonna do that
5. do I need to flush my brakeline fluid?
6. any other fluids I need to flush?
7. any other filters to change besides fuel filter and air filter?

8. I noticed one hose cracking, should I just have all hoses replaced?
9. serpentine & (I think) timing belt were replaced at @175,000mi
10. manual says I should have replaced camshaft belt @120,000mi
11. any other belts I should be replacing?

12. sparkplugs wires were changed @150,000mi
13. sparkplugs were changed again @195,000mi, is this a convient time to change them?
14. is this a convient time to just say fuck it and replace the whole engine? Mine has been making a weird rattlecan noise when I slam the gas on the freeway, my truck just feels slow and unpowerful (I do get 22mpg city, 27hwy)
15. do I need to replace catylitic converter or muffler since that seems to be where ratttlecan noise is coming from

16. should I replace my 02 sensor? I have been getting on and off p0133 check engine code for a while which is due to the 02 sensor but I believe it could be due to leaky radiator
17. radiator has a very minor leak at the plastic top cap, is this a convenient time to replace it?
18. PCV valve, says it is to be repaced at 60,000 and 120,000mi, for 2.5l engines
---it is an emissions sensor and I have never replaced it, do you think it will help my fuel economy?
19. I already once replaced my MAF sensor but I keeps randomly feeding gas to the engine when my foot is off the pedal. Shall I buy a third one? From pick and pull or brand new?

20. I have never had my brakes replaced within these 100,000miles ive had the truck probably because im light on my pedals. I think ill get them replaced
21. ill have them check my tires for lumps and rotate my tires
22. fix my snapped spare tire holder cable
23. about 2.5 years ago a tire shop said my front joint bushings were failing and need to be replaced. Later on another mechanic said they were fine
24. maintenance manual also says that at 150,000miles I should:
a. inspect and lubricate ball joints
b. replace RWD axle lubricant
bbb. Replace transaxle grease
c. replace wheel bearings, grease seals, lubricate and adjust bearings
----about 6 years ago my mechanic said my wheel bearing was about ready to fail within a year. Should I get them all replaced?

1. I just went to the burningman desert and spent 3 days doing donuts and speeding through alkaline dust, I beat out my air filter when I left (about to buy a new one today) and 500miles and 2 weeks later I just hosed it down with water. I read I should spray the cars clearcoat and engine compartment with a vinegear/water solution but then read not to do that cuase it will leave behind an HCl residue which is even more harmful ???
but should I still spray down my rubber seals and electrical components ???
should I be worried about corrosion on all my nuts and bolts ???

2. I ruined and replaced my transmission about 75,000 miles ago. I recently read that if youve been on the same transmission oil that long then it will cause damage if you flush and replace the transmission oil. Should I consult the mechanic who installed the transmission?
I do drive very lightly compared to most others I see smashing on their pedals and gears, about 2/3 have been hwy miles, the other 1/3 have been city miles + hauling(overloaded)

is there anything else it looks like i missed? how much do you think a mechanic will charge for the work and parts? $500? $1,500? i have a certified mechanic i sometimes go to and has been recommended to me by others. my grease monkey neighbor who does front yard car work for half the price. he used to own a ford ranger also. i imagine i would want someone well trained and versed to be on the look out when mixing and matching this much stuff at one time, but on the other hand, it is all pretty basic stuff, isnt it??

also another question, do you think a front bumper/hood rack would hit my mpgs just as hard as a roofrack over my cabheight camper/topper?

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Re: 200,000 mile tune up advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
You're not going to produce HCl if you spray down your truck with vinegar. There's not much reason to use a dilute acetic acid. Just use soap.

Offline blueee

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
I read that playa dust has the same pH as draino

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:25:26 AM »
I don't know where that Cl ion is going to come from. Just use water, remember Le Châtelier's principle.

Offline blueee

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
so here is my skimmed down maintence list, how does it look?

2000 ford ranger - 2.5l - standard - 2wd - 215,000mi

flush coolant
replace radiator
flush power steering
check steering box for major leak
transmission oil change
engine oil change
replace air filter
replace old hoses
check timing belt for replacement

check balljoints for replacement
fix spare tire mount
rotate tires
check tires for lumps
check wheel bearings
check brake pads

replace or clean MAF sensor
Worth it to replace:
1. pcv valve?
2. 02 sensor?

I regularly go to a skatepark next to a super-tweaky methy scrapyard and the owner said he would do the maintenence for me - better yet, he would show me how to do it myself - so i imagine he would give me the frugal run on car maintence which i am totally into but im worried he will be filling my car with **** fluids and **** parts - he told me to go get all my replacement parts from pick-n-pull and "if the part looks shiny, grab it"

he also said for the majority of my concerns, "if its not cuasing any problems, dont mess with it"
im very hesistant to work with him, but also very curious

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
Any pokemons there at his yard of scrap meth?

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 10:44:21 PM »
On the upside, you'll probably get a free bump.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline chubbs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
If your timing belt made it another 100K after it was supposed to be replaced, im seriously impressed.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special