Multimedia

Author Topic: odyssey clutch: clicking noise when I stop pedaling  (Read 28861 times)

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
Re: odyssey clutch: clicking noise when I stop pedaling
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
you adjust (tighten) the slack by tightening the grub screw. the first possibility that comes to my mind is that when you put grease in it somehow 'undid' the grubscrew.

if the grubscrew struggles to hold its place and keeps loosening itself, you could always take the hub apart and add spacers to take up the slack instead. it'd reduce some room for adjustment, but you probably know how much slack you want in the hub anyway so that isn't a big deal.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:36 PM »
That adjustable slack washer is the Achilles heel of the hub. My grub screw has gradually worked itself to a setting with more slack and needs the occasional tightening to get it back into position. Also the hole threaded for the grub screw creates a stress point for it to crack around the screw.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »
That adjustable slack washer is the Achilles heel of the hub. My grub screw has gradually worked itself to a setting with more slack and needs the occasional tightening to get it back into position. Also the hole threaded for the grub screw creates a stress point for it to crack around the screw.

the self loosening is part of my worry about the hub - in an ideal world the slack adjuster sits perfectly well at its setting and there's no wiggle to work the screw loose etc, but it's always limited to manufacture tolerances i guess. i wonder if you could just pretend that it's metal and secure it with loctite (give it overnight to cure properly!) would work on such materials.

a second ghetto fix would be to add ANOTHER grub screw into the hole, tightening it against the first one (essentially treating them like cones on older generation hubs' conenuts) then cutting/ filing off the protruding excess. then against, putting a few actual spacers on is much less effort than this.

as for stress concentration, that part shouldn't be seeing any stress, since the whole slack adjuster is only something for the clutch mechanism to rest on, at the force of the clutch spring/drag mechanism spring.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 03:07:19 AM »
Its metal against plastic without any strong forces on the screw right? Wouldnt just household glue do the trick?
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »
Its metal against plastic without any strong forces on the screw right? Wouldnt just household glue do the trick?

loctite is classier because bikes

Offline Cmb4130

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
Update

I greased the wheel and the noise is gone. Butter.

But!

I still can't tighten up the slack. It's a full quarter pedal which is a bit much.

I use a 2.5 mil Allen key and the adjustable nut won't tighten.

Frustrating.

I may have to take it apart to investigate.
REFS: greyandblueT-1rider, dalton_bmx, pookey999, ScramHyphy, Blue Streak, pieceoffitrider, bsf256, 180, LittleDevil661, Rusty, Lamehead, FatChris, Sketchphoto

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special