Multimedia

Author Topic: odyssey clutch: clicking noise when I stop pedaling  (Read 28556 times)

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
Re: odyssey clutch: clicking noise when I stop pedaling
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
This reminds me of a time nearly 15 years ago when I lived on the eastern coast of Australia in a little town call Coffs Harbour. It's a beautiful little beach town where you can get KFC and sit on a grassy outcropping and watch the dolphins swim in the ocean. A girl I knew there worked at a little fish and chips shop--sometimes she would hook me up with a greasy bag of chips for free. The mountains in that region are close to the ocean and as a result there is a sub-tropical rainforest there, just a few miles drive from Coffs. Myself and a couple of friends drove out to see it one Wednesday simply because we'd never seen anything like it--we were all from the intermountain west which is pretty much just desert and high mountain desert. In the mountains of Idaho, you need to worry about things like bears and mosquitos and the occasional mountain lion. In the subtropical rainforest, I didn't know what to worry about or watch for simply because I didn't know and I couldn't see past all the green. There is so much green there! My friends and I decided to venture off the trail like a pack of idiots so we could discover the secrets of the forest for ourselves. I don't recommend this unless you enjoy walking though mysterious wet slimy things, enormous spiders, and falling on your ass a lot. One of the girls with us screamed and pointed--I looked back frantically to see what she was on about and realized she was pointing at the ground near my feet. Actually, she was pointing at my feet! Blood! My left athletic sock was crimson red and it simply wasn't registering with me. It was my blood. It was my blood. I panicked and tripped over myself getting back to the main trail so I could assess what was wrong. Between my wet shoes and my courage stood that sock. I knew what I was going to find. There was a spider in there. A funnelweb. I knew it was a funnelweb. Or a redback. I knew it.  Cautiously, I slid my shoe off and inspected. Nothing. A twig and some debris, but no spider. I had to examine my sock. I didn't want to, but I knew I had to. through the slick red blood, I noticed something unusual about the shape of my ankle--a bump where there should be no bump. My heart pumped faster and my breath drew short as I rolled down the bloody rag to reveal a mass of black and red slime. Repulsed, I looked away. Had I smashed the spider in my fury? In my rage to escaped the unknown dark forest had I sunk the fangs deeper into my own flesh?
Stephanie drew her courage and came to my aide. She pulled the bloodied sock off and found the intruder. A leech the size of my thumb was still attached, though smashed against my leg.
I haven't been to the rainforest since, though I'd love to get some fish and chips and watch the dolphins.
My KHE Astern is still running strong.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:59:12 PM by montymitch »

Offline conormckeon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
My buddy (who's a 8 year long coaster guy) Clutch was doing this as well, shortly after the Helical slack adjuster blew up into tiny pieces. He's back on his Federal coaster.

When I took mine apart to regrease it one of my slack adjusters was in two pieces

Offline Otter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »
In my experience (KHE) it's because it's to much grease in it. Causing the clutch to stick while disengaging.
I usaly keep the grease to a minimum in my coaster, and it's been rolling great for 5 years, no problems.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »
Perfect hubs except the slack adjuster does suck in them

Already cracked 2 of them

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »

Cool story hansel.

Thanks for your incite on the topic
Your thoughtful reply is a great contribution to bikeguide [/sarcasm]

Offline TerribleAtreyu

• View Profile
    • www.thebridgebmx.com
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 04:20:24 AM »
My Clutch hub did the same thing at first, then I took it apart to grease it and removed the little grub screw (for slack adjustment) as I noticed it could potentially hit the inside of the shell if all the way out (I run max slack)
It's been the smoothest feeling hub since

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 07:09:52 AM »
Why take it apart to grease it when there's a slotted hole that allows you to apply grease into?
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
ediot, please post the yellow Standard. I never get sick of seeing that bike

unfortunately i didn't take good care of archiving old photos, a lot of old ones are lost. i've just dug threw my old harddisks and found some shit quality pictures at bad angles, but it'd be fun to post them up i guess. i'm starting a new thread for it in the lounge.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
Add grease. The Clutch loves grease, dont be afraid.
Add it through the adjustment hole and it will eventually make it to where it needs to be, just keep working it in there.

If you need to take apart then try these:-
Disassembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1SjjJz9nM
Reassembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnWbSjyexc

Should cover most things.

If something breaks contact warranty.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
^^^

would it be a problem to have grease on the drive engagment surfaces (i.e. the actual clutch)?

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
Why take it apart to grease it when there's a slotted hole that allows you to apply grease into?
because I didn't want to wait for it to work it's way into the clutch.

Oh, and because I wanted to play with it.

Offline Cmb4130

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
What kind of grease should I use?  WD 40 ruins sealed bearings, and regular grease is as think as marshmallow. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help everyone.
REFS: greyandblueT-1rider, dalton_bmx, pookey999, ScramHyphy, Blue Streak, pieceoffitrider, bsf256, 180, LittleDevil661, Rusty, Lamehead, FatChris, Sketchphoto

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »
uurrghhhh wd 40 is not grease, only use that stuff for cleaning old grease and gunk out before you add fresh stuff
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
What kind of grease should I use?  WD 40 ruins sealed bearings, and regular grease is as think as marshmallow. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help everyone.
I use Park tools grease

Offline Cmb4130

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Greased it up and so far it sounds like the harsh clicking noise has stopped.

Thank you.

However, when I greased it, the slack moved all the way back to its original position. I had it tightened up to feel more like a cassette.

Why did it move without loosening it?

REFS: greyandblueT-1rider, dalton_bmx, pookey999, ScramHyphy, Blue Streak, pieceoffitrider, bsf256, 180, LittleDevil661, Rusty, Lamehead, FatChris, Sketchphoto

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello