Multimedia

Author Topic: Alcohol.  (Read 28968 times)

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
Alcohol.
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
Straight up, I think I'm addicted to alcohol. I haven't gone a week without drinking heavily in maybe 5 years. Is that a problem or nah?

I mean, I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, it doesn't affect my job or anything I need to do its just when I'm done with work or at home with nothing to do, I have a really strong urge to drink and usually cave in. My room mates always give me shit because I'll sit in my room and play video games or browse the Internet and drink a bit on the daily rather than sit and watch tv for hours with them every night. But to me, I don't see it any worse than going to to smoke every hour. Could be wrong, I dunno.

Maybe dealing with bordem by drinking is not a good thing to do but there's only so much shit you can do without spending a lot of money. Maybe I should start golfing or something. Riding is too dangerous at this point, can't get hurt and miss work. But my logic is, do it and have fun while I'm still "young" and don't have a family to look after or even a girlfriend to worry about. I enjoy every bit of where I'm at right now but people around me am give me shit. But the same people smoke cigs all the time and when they're not smoking they're in the couch watching TV or playing xbox.

I dunno. I know if I tried to straight up quit drinking all together, it'd be one of the toughest things I've had to do and I would do it if I had a legit reason, but I guess I really don't.  Sorry for the rant. Just bugs me when my couch potato smoking friends give me shit over it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:52:14 PM by Alex. »
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline powell

• View Profile
Re: Alcohol.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »
i was basically in the same boat, i was feeling like shit all the time and rarely would a week go by with out some sort of heavy drinking. I've all but quit drinking, since ive lost about 20lbs feel significantly less shitty and realized how much money i was spending. For what i spent a year going out and drinking (roughly $200-400 a month) i could of more or less built up a decent carbon hardtail.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:31:47 PM »
It doesn't affect anything you need to do? Go do something outside or productive man. Being straightedge is fucking fantastic, but I don't give a shit you're not. That said, it's alright to drink but don't be a fucking drinker.

If you're scared of getting broke off, get a different type of bicycle. There is great satisfaction in powering yourself through backroads as hard as your body can go. Maybe a mootin bike? You might not have mountains but I think you might be a little safer.

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 01:54:47 AM »
I'm sure you've seen the cars or other shit I've built. I think you misinterpreted that. I do plenty of productive things. I just finished building a laundry room and currently working on drywal King and finishing off a pretty big garage. This is all outside of my actual job. It's just when that's all done for the day and it's dark out.. I'm probably going to drink a few beers before bed.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 03:09:24 AM »
I usually get hammered once a week, put a lot of that down to it being Winter and having fuck all to do though. When it gets to summer my booze habits swing more towards pub gardens / street beers on the bike rather than nights out.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:28 AM »
I drank heavily between 18 and 26, at least once a week, sometimes 3 nights in a row plus all day in between. Drugs as well for most of it.

Now I'm a functioning adult with a house and kid, drink a beer or two some nights but rarely as heavy as before. I just decided it wasn't for me, but no point changing until that point. I still managed to ride my bike and develop my career in the midst of all that.
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
Read books, there's no better way to expand your mind and broaden your perspective. I've never been much of a drinker and these days I barely touch booze but I was a pretty heavy pot smoker. I've always loved books but over time it became difficult to read while while being high and I was high all the time I wasn't working. I realized I was no longer getting any joy from smoking so I stopped. It was refreshing to have a clear mind for an extended period of time and now I can enjoy books again and working on little creative projects. The money I used to spend on weed I now spend on traveling every few months. I still enjoy the occasional joint but don't see it ever becoming a habit again. Oh, and obviously ride bikes as much as possible.

Offline Merry

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • @SoxMerry
    • View Profile
    • Ryder Distribution
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
I wasn't really in the same boat, but I was getting hammered once every two or three weekends. I'd grab a beer with food if I went out to eat. The occasional beer after work. A social drink or two if I was chillin' at a friend's house. Also, being that I'm constantly playing gigs during the week, it was always super easy to have a beer or two in the run of a set.

I started doing strength and conditioning classes at a local gym back on March 21 which kind of gave me added motivation to avoid drinking. I haven't had a drop of liquor since March 19, and I feel fantastic. I've lost some weight, tightened up and gotten less doughy, and I have a lot more energy. I'm not off booze for good, and I'll definitely be getting shitty next weekend when I head to Toronto, but cutting it out for the past month has definitely been easy with the extra motivation of putting in work at the gym - a sort of "don't make the work you're putting in pointless by drinking" notion.

Plus, the gym hurts so goddam bad, and drinking a ton of water helps.
Follow me on Twitter, ya bums: @SoxMerry

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I agree with all the points being made. It's not hurting anything by drinking when I do, but most Sunday's are a complete waste because I'll be super hungover. I'm not fat but I definitely have a bit extra beer weight that'd be nice to shave off.

I think the biggest thing is, is that when I drink and go out, I'm not nearly as anxious or shy/boring. Not saying I'm a complete nut job or cringe factory when I'm sober, just way more relaxed and introverted. Liquid courage has really helped me in many ways and I think in some ways I almost feel as I have to continue to be that guy to the people I've met and became friends with while under the influence.

It's like self medication, with booze. Hahaha, not healthy but fuck if it doesn't make shit easier.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:57:36 PM by Alex. »
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline (jeff)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 01:05:14 AM »
I wasn't really in the same boat, but I was getting hammered once every two or three weekends. I'd grab a beer with food if I went out to eat. The occasional beer after work. A social drink or two if I was chillin' at a friend's house. Also, being that I'm constantly playing gigs during the week, it was always super easy to have a beer or two in the run of a set.

I started doing strength and conditioning classes at a local gym back on March 21 which kind of gave me added motivation to avoid drinking. I haven't had a drop of liquor since March 19, and I feel fantastic. I've lost some weight, tightened up and gotten less doughy, and I have a lot more energy. I'm not off booze for good, and I'll definitely be getting shitty next weekend when I head to Toronto, but cutting it out for the past month has definitely been easy with the extra motivation of putting in work at the gym - a sort of "don't make the work you're putting in pointless by drinking" notion.

Weren't you edge?

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:17:44 AM »
Straight up, you're not addicted to alcohol. Are people that play sports every weekend addicted to sports? You don't have an addiction, you have a shit house hobby.

If you feel like you can't function as well socially without the piss then do yourself a favour and go out a couple of time sober.
Hangovers and trains

Offline Merry

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • @SoxMerry
    • View Profile
    • Ryder Distribution
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »

Weren't you edge?

That ship sailed years ago.
Follow me on Twitter, ya bums: @SoxMerry

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
Not even a wagon comparison?

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:12 AM »
I think the biggest thing is, is that when I drink and go out, I'm not nearly as anxious or shy/boring. Not saying I'm a complete nut job or cringe factory when I'm sober, just way more relaxed and introverted. Liquid courage has really helped me in many ways and I think in some ways I almost feel as I have to continue to be that guy to the people I've met and became friends with while under the influence.

This is the most real thing I've ever read. I drink most days, sometimes a lot, sometimes not. I've had periods over the past few years of not drinking for  around 4 months at a time and I just don't see my friends that much during that time. A few years ago I wanted to quit drinking totally, I'm now realising that moderation is so much better, but quite hard.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:23 AM »
I drink a beer each day with dinner and maybe one in the evening then go and get hammered every weekend. Rarely drink spirits anymore since I found tasty craft beers
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:14:56 AM by hugh. »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:23 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello