Multimedia

Author Topic: Marmoset hub replacement parts  (Read 21931 times)

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
Marmoset hub replacement parts
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »
My aluminum hub guard has welded itself to the axle, so now that I need to replace one of those easily replaceable bearings, I can't. Are replacement axles still available anywhere, or am I screwed?

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
Re: Marmoset hub replacement parts
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:13:41 AM »
Have you tried to ... what's the scientific term.... smash the shit out of the axle until it comes out?
Hangovers and trains

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »
Yep, I have applied force. The bearing is sandwiched between the axle and the hub guard--there is no foreseeable way to get the guard off without damaging the axle substantially.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
assuming the alu hub guard is now glued to the end of the axle and the bearing that needs replacing, i think you can hammer the axle out of the hub from the other side. with the axle out, there're a few things you could consider:

1. dunk the axle/hub guard/bearing combo in a bowl of WD-40 and hope that the WD-40 can seep into between the hub guard and axle, although i'm not optimistic of the outcome. the bearing will get rekt but your aim is to replace it anyway.

2. if you hold the axle with the guard on top (like its an open umbrella), you could rest the hub guard in a vice using it as support, put a bolt into the hold on top of the axle and use gentle persuasion via a big fuck off hammer. since you're hitting onto the axle directly, there shouldn't be sideway impact like you would if you were to try to hit the hub guard off the axle.

to protect the axle threads, i find it best to use a spacer (NOT A WASHER) under the bolt head (i.e. between the bolt head and the axle). this small spacer needs to be of a smaller diameter than the inner of the bearing so that it doesn't stop against the bearing. with the spacer in place, do up the bolt semi tight (make sure the bolt is long enough to no less than 5 threads in the axle. i don't know the actual safe number, but i wouldn't want less than that), then wack it hard while chanting "i will use anti seize between metal parts" over and over

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I bought a new axle like 6 months ago, surprised that they're so hard to come by now. I found one here: https://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=15991&cat=0&parent=0&sid=3, though no idea if they actually have it in stock, and if it's worth it for you to order from England. I replaced mine because I stripped the helicoil, meaning I have an extra axle that only needs a new helicoil. In the off chance you're located in Europe and feel like hunting down helicoils I'd send you this axle for free ;)

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
email odyssey/full factory, if they have spares theyll likely sell you one
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
My aluminum hub guard has welded itself to the axle, so now that I need to replace one of those easily replaceable bearings, I can't. Are replacement axles still available anywhere, or am I screwed?

DOH!!!!
:)
G.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:07:39 AM by G »
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
Dip the guard in a saturated solution of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), aluminium guard will be eaten away leaving steel axle completely unharmed and ready to rock.

marmosets have steel axles now?!

an alu guard should be able to come off by force, big socket on the end of the axle (hubguard side) and fucking HIT IT

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
Dip the guard in a saturated solution of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), aluminium guard will be eaten away leaving steel axle completely unharmed and ready to rock.

an alu guard should be able to come off by force, big socket on the end of the axle (hubguard side) and fucking HIT IT
Yeah, I'm positive that it has an aluminum axle with steel helicoils, but the guy that designed it says otherwise, so...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
maybe he was in homer mode? personally id just go at it with a hacksaw, as close to the axle as you dare, then finish with a file-alu is nice and soft so should be pretty quick. if you kinda cut vertically just to the side of teh axle, will do you a paint drawing if you dont get what i mean
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
That's probably the best idea so far. I did put anti-seize on, but I don't think I used enough and I think the hubguard has been smashed around enough that it's simply mashed into place. I get what you are saying, but I'd still like to see a paint drawing because I've had a shitty day and paint drawings make me laugh.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 03:15:55 AM »
I would ensure the axle is steel before you go anywhere near it with caustic soda (and that you use it in a well-ventilated area)

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »
it's deffo alu on alu, seriously mate just hit it harder with a socket and metal hammer

easy to say just cut it, probably be really awkward unless you had it unlaced

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »

Damn I was not on good form yesterday, been a crazy start to the year...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 07:11:21 AM »
maybe he was in homer mode? personally id just go at it with a hacksaw, as close to the axle as you dare, then finish with a file-alu is nice and soft so should be pretty quick. if you kinda cut vertically just to the side of teh axle, will do you a paint drawing if you dont get what i mean

This is probably the best bet. Cut straight towards the axle, the bearing will obviously get in the way once you are close but you can use the end of a hacksaw blade (or one of those fancy reciprocating vibratory saws if you have it) to get closer, then get a cold-chisel in the slot and bang it in (a bit like a giant nut splitter)  and hopefully you can split the guard enough to break its hold on the axle.

Good luck.

G.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 07:11:21 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special