Multimedia

Author Topic: Gland 4 installation tips  (Read 12455 times)

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Gland 4 installation tips
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »
I started breaking spokes on a regular basis this fall when I tried to learn how to grind angled ledges. Reason being that I often hit the wheel just above my hub guard. I got a Gland as it protects a bigger area of the wheel and since then my spokes are kept intact.

I do however go through 2-3 (i.e. all) zip ties every session. Almost one every single grind. This is super annoying. Anyone got a tip on how to install a gland and not having zip ties break all the freaking time?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:23:49 AM by JFax »
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
Re: Gland 3 installation tips
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:07:01 AM »
gland 2  and a shoestring
the j heads of your spokes will still eventually get smashed in

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Gland 4 installation tips
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »
The shoestring sucks too, but you might get an entire session out of it, instead of a single grind.

Ive been thinking about CA gluing a few set screws into it, and using a nut and a washer to hold it in place. Im pretty lazy though.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »
I remember a friend who had a similar guard to gland where you screwed it on to the spokes, worked wonders.

My bike got stolen though, so it doesnt matter anymore...
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »
zorg bikes hubguard.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
gland 4 seems like a stupid design, having the zip ties so exposed on the area youre going to grind against

even on the older glands where the zip ties were even more recessed, they were still shit. in fact designing it for the zip ties instead of a shoestring/mankey strap, seems really stupid to me, cos the zip ties always break

I guess i only ever see people use zip ties to attach their glands instead of anything else though, so maybe g designed it around the fact that people never could be arsed to use the strap, even though its massively superior (and oh did i mention, zip ties suck in this application)
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
gland 4 seems like a stupid design, having the zip ties so exposed on the area youre going to grind against

even on the older glands where the zip ties were even more recessed, they were still shit. in fact designing it for the zip ties instead of a shoestring/mankey strap, seems really stupid to me, cos the zip ties always break

I guess i only ever see people use zip ties to attach their glands instead of anything else though, so maybe g designed it around the fact that people never could be arsed to use the strap, even though its massively superior (and oh did i mention, zip ties suck in this application)
They are seriously exposed, especially if you don't crank them down tight. I've got one on my right front, but it's a rare day I grind on that side.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:57:32 AM »
The ties "ought" to be OK. they are nylon and should be just as able to handle a grind as the guard itself, I dont think that they actually grind through significantly before they snap, so it really puzzles me that a small minority of people have these constant issues with them breaking. Most people seem to do well with the guard but I am still very keen to find a solution though and so if anyone who does constantly break them wants to email me detailed pictures of the broken ties and how they had them fixed on in the first place that would be super helpful for my product development.
I think a lot of it comes down to landing on the edge of the guard which tries to jam the guard up which obviously allows the spoke angle to act like a wedge and magnify the load.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 05:36:53 PM »
i wonder if people cranking the zipties down real tight affects it? so that as the guard settles into the wheel and inevitably moves around while getting bashed about on grinds the zip ties dont have enough give in them and thus just snap?
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:17 AM »
When I first got the gland I tightened down the ties as hard as I could, used tools to really tighten it down. The ties snapped immidiatly at the bend when grinding.

My friend, who previously ran Glands helped me out and strapped the new ties a bit looser to the wheel, they held up half a session (~5 grinds) before snapping the exact same way.

Just watched the installation guide on the site and I had them wrapped around the same spoke group. I will give the strap a go and see if that helps.

I tried to remember the bolt style gland-esque guard my friend used a long time ago, but cant remember... Ill ask to see if he does.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:55:05 AM »
When I first got the gland I tightened down the ties as hard as I could, used tools to really tighten it down. The ties snapped immidiatly at the bend when grinding.

My friend, who previously ran Glands helped me out and strapped the new ties a bit looser to the wheel, they held up half a session (~5 grinds) before snapping the exact same way.

Just watched the installation guide on the site and I had them wrapped around the same spoke group. I will give the strap a go and see if that helps.

I tried to remember the bolt style gland-esque guard my friend used a long time ago, but cant remember... Ill ask to see if he does.

The original GLAND (GLAND 1 I guess) was steel and bolted on, the problem was that the spokes took a fair bit of damage despite rubber and nylon washers etc to protect them. If a cable tie breaks its no big deal compared to a spoke, though obviously they need to last dozens of hours of riding not minutes. As I say, for the majority of users they are fine, but I would still like to make any improvement I can.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 05:31:42 AM »
Ok, cheers. I have a heard time seeing how it would work, but I bet you or someone else had it tested thouroughly before releasing it, so I guess it should work somehow, or I just suck at grinding angled ledges (which I know that I do).

Offline bsd510

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »
I've found that I have the best luck with the zipties when I make sure to position them properly before tightening them down. (sorry for the shitty wording ahead) If you position the zip tie head so that it lays flat against the back of the gland when you pull the tie through it works much better. Essentially leave 5-8mm of slack between the head of zip tie and the guard when you're putting it on so that when you pull it tight you can bend the zip tie so the head lies flat. If you have the head of the zip tie tight against the guard, it makes it pull at more of a 90 degree angle when you hit the hub guard. Once I figured this out I haven't snapped another zip tie (knock on wood)

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
What about using wire?

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:31 AM »
What about using wire?

Aha! This might be smart. Made me think of trying this:

No idea what they are called in english, "hose tightener" in swedish. tighten them, bend them in so they dont pertrude past the guard's plastic edges, then ride worry-free. Shall see if I can get ahold of any small enough.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:31 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello