Multimedia

Author Topic: Burnt welds/new frame  (Read 4572 times)

Offline bsd510

• View Profile
Burnt welds/new frame
« on: October 27, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
I was looking at my new frame and since it's painted black I can't see the welds completely. After watching that new mike laird video it got me thinking about the different frames that failed on me at the welds and was wondering if my new frame had good welding on it. When I look down the seat tube, I can see rust forming on the inside wall in the shape of where the welds are for the right seat stay and the left side of the top tube. I was wondering why the rust only started on those welds and not the others, and was wondering if that was a sign of burnt welds. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Ricked_Em

• View Profile
Re: Burnt welds/new frame
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
I was looking at my new frame and since it's painted black I can't see the welds completely. After watching that new mike laird video it got me thinking about the different frames that failed on me at the welds and was wondering if my new frame had good welding on it. When I look down the seat tube, I can see rust forming on the inside wall in the shape of where the welds are for the right seat stay and the left side of the top tube. I was wondering why the rust only started on those welds and not the others, and was wondering if that was a sign of burnt welds. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What kind of frame is it? Also, what area do you live in? Im in STL so it's always humid and you will get surface rust on a bare piece of metal after 30 seconds of it being raw haha. Your best bet would to be other people with your frame in raw or clear and check out the welds on their frame. Don't use pics from the manufacters website as it is probably like mcdonalds, using the best one for pics. Good luck!
"Nobody looks cool using a bike pump"-Van Homan

Offline Rockhard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Man those Laird Frame welds make others look like shit. I've been looking at heat marks in a whole new way now.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello