Multimedia

Author Topic: Ghost pedalling halp  (Read 9913 times)

Offline dude...

• View Profile
Ghost pedalling halp
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
So my hub started ghost pedalling a few months back and now its driving me nuts cos of all the dumb dorky no footed stuff and standing on my pegs i do.

I took it all apart yesterday, cleaned out all the grease and replaced it with oil, hoping that would make it smoother and stop ghosting but no joy. its always in the same spot too, i ride right foot forward and the cranks always start ghosting until theyre the other way around (left pedal forwards) then stop, meaning half the time im having to land switch footed which is shit.
Hub is a ratchet, 9t driver, been cared for and maintained pretty decently.

axle is a zodiac ti one, i was wondering if this could be slightly bent and causing the issue.

other thing im wondering about is the weight distribution of the cranks/pedals etc, ive had that happen before cos i grind on my right pedal so that would always become lighter than the left one and rise to the top all the time (especially with metal pedals). only thing is this time they always end up flat, just left foot forward instead. i like my chain loose for crankflips so that might be a factor too.

give me some advice/thoughts. final option is to source a profile axle thats not cut down and run my ss hub instead  :-[
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline paranoidmexican

• freeeeeeeestyle
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost pedalling halp
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
grip flange behind your sprocket?
Perform an act of kindness without posting it to social media. Love one another.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
did you inspect the pawls and ratchet ring for wear? Is the driver turning smooth when you turn it by hand?

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »
grip flange behind your sprocket?

no cos crankflips

chain is not tight at all for the same reason

pawls and engagement ring seem ok, driver turns decently by hand, very clicky but not rough. i squished the springs so theyre less springy to see if that helped but no joy. i realised i have another driver kicking about so i should probs try that one

Offline CARROTFVCKER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
stop letting ghosts ride yer fvckin bike

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:28:46 AM »
Ghost pedaling is when there's enough friction between hub and driver to overcome the inertia of the rest of the drive train. Catchring ,spring and pawl wear makes this LESS likely

Have you tried omitting the seal?

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:00:08 AM »
My ratchet has started doing this too. I was going to try that other driver I got off you, but I forgot when I swapped back to lhd

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
was the ratchet discontinued because of the simian or the antigram or another reason?

also is anyone running a simian rear? is it out yet?

in related news i'm still pretty stoked on my antigram

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »
Simian isn't out yet.

I think it's funny that my clutch fc has less drag than my newish antigram
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »
freecoasters should have no drag at all when theyre disengaged. it actually makes a massive difference on manuals, you can go so slow and barely have to adjust your body at all. switching back to a cassette has made them way more effort to balance.
in other news, running my chain a little bit tighter has eliminated some of the ghost pedalling, chain feels crunchy again though but im guess its cos of poor chain alignment (which ironically is what seems to be stopping the ghosts). think i need to save up for a clutch sigh $330AU

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
freecoasters should have no drag at all when theyre disengaged. it actually makes a massive difference on manuals, you can go so slow and barely have to adjust your body at all. switching back to a cassette has made them way more effort to balance.
in other news, running my chain a little bit tighter has eliminated some of the ghost pedalling, chain feels crunchy again though but im guess its cos of poor chain alignment (which ironically is what seems to be stopping the ghosts). think i need to save up for a clutch sigh $330AU

Get two and give me one

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special