Multimedia

Author Topic: Odyssey Thunderbolt Woes  (Read 14371 times)

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
Re: Odyssey Thunderbolt Woes
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 06:21:13 AM »
Isnt there a minor risk of doing minor damage to the crank when bunnyhopping it loose rather than using tools?

Not really no. The suggestion is to loosen the bolt slightly, then bunnyhop lightly on flat ground with the opposite foot forward until you feel it break loose (not hop a fence off a roof gap to flat ground 50 feet below). Definitely less damaging than wailing away on the end with a hammer.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline The Outsider

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »
Good to know, G. I'll def use the switch footed bunnyhop method, just wasn't aware until after they were off of the bike. Smacking the bolt with my rubber mallet worked and I checked the threads for damage (none, they look and thread perfect) but still made me uncomfortable.

Definitely made sure to use enough anti seize after I bought a new jar.

Offline JohnW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
The bunnyhop method always works on my Twombolts. I use grease instead of antiseize despite knowing antiseize is better just because grease comes off my hands/clothes better. Coming from working on cars, I fucking hate getting a surprise glob of antiseize on myself. Morons use it on lug nuts when you should never do that, then next thing I know EVERYTHING IS PAINTED SILVER AND IT WON'T WIPE OFF.

My LAF
Quote from: super_chief;3602916
I put my nuts on that axle before it shipped, FYI

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
Witness me!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »
The bunnyhop method always works on my Twombolts. I use grease instead of antiseize despite knowing antiseize is better just because grease comes off my hands/clothes better. Coming from working on cars, I fucking hate getting a surprise glob of antiseize on myself. Morons use it on lug nuts when you should never do that....

Why should you never do that? I have always used it on wheel bolts you know so you have a fighting chance of getting them undone when you need to by the side of the road in the pissing rain...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline JohnW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
The bunnyhop method always works on my Twombolts. I use grease instead of antiseize despite knowing antiseize is better just because grease comes off my hands/clothes better. Coming from working on cars, I fucking hate getting a surprise glob of antiseize on myself. Morons use it on lug nuts when you should never do that....

Why should you never do that? I have always used it on wheel bolts you know so you have a fighting chance of getting them undone when you need to by the side of the road in the pissing rain...

G.
Wet torque is much higher than dry torque for one. If you can calculate to account for that then it isn't as bad of an idea, but from what I remember it's a LOT higher if the torque wrench is set to the same rating.

That and there's a slightly higher chance of them coming loose. I always clean the threads on my own vehicles and used closed lugnuts, plus they come off at least a couple times a year. I do usually put some grease on the center bore though, Toyota wheels love to get stuck on there.
My LAF

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »

G.
Wet torque is much higher than dry torque for one. If you can calculate to account for that then it isn't as bad of an idea, but from what I remember it's a LOT higher if the torque wrench is set to the same rating.

That and there's a slightly higher chance of them coming loose. I always clean the threads on my own vehicles and used closed lugnuts, plus they come off at least a couple times a year. I do usually put some grease on the center bore though, Toyota wheels love to get stuck on there.

Surely seized torque is way higher than dry torque though surely...? So I'd rather go from "wet" to "a bit dry but still possible to get undone" (maybe a 30% increase?) than from "dry" to "well that's me fucked" (which is an increase of maybe 500%)?!?!

G.

Offline JohnW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »

G.

Surely seized torque is way higher than dry torque though surely...? So I'd rather go from "wet" to "a bit dry but still possible to get undone" (maybe a 30% increase?) than from "dry" to "well that's me fucked" (which is an increase of maybe 500%)?!?!

G.
In terms of torque required to remove it, yes. I'm talking about clamping load on the wheel and studs. From what I've read and been told, a lot more force is exerted when torquing if the studs are lubricated. This is in regards to crushing the seat on the wheel and over-clamping the studs. I do not know the exact numbers but it does put the load on the stud above the recommended range.

A little grease wouldn't be as bad in that regard as slathering a ton of anti-seize on like some people do. Since if it rusts up, less clamping force will be produced by the same amount of rotational torque - so slight lubrication is better than none in my opinion.

I've had no problem up here with harsh winters and road salt even with open ended lugs - IF the wheels are removed a few times a year like they should be. Brakes should be inspected at least once a year and with most peoples' driving, tires should be rotated at least a couple times. But when they're left on for 2-3 years (or less) with nothing touched, the rust gets excessive. Same with the assholes that ram the lug back onto the rusty threads with an impact gun...
My LAF

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello