Multimedia

Author Topic: Front hub guard opinions  (Read 10504 times)

Offline The Brawn

• View Profile
Front hub guard opinions
« on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
I'm struggling to decide between either Merritt or G-sport front guards. I recently got reacquainted with a Glands 2 that I've put on my rear wheel and it's better than any hubguard I've had so far.

I'm running an Animal hub but keep going through those plastic guards on 180 smiths etc.

So before I import some hubguards (neither brand is available in my country) I'd like to hear if anyone's had any problems.

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
Re: Front hub guard opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »
Not sure if they make one for the animal hub but I have good experience with the BSD Jersey barriers

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
ive heard the merrits are shite, and the new gsports arent too hot either. go gland 3 i reckon
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
ive heard the merrits are shite, and the new gsports arent too hot either. go gland 3 i reckon

I wouldn't call the gsports shite, they are just smaller. Mine fits the Marmy perfectly and came with two sets of zip ties and a shoelace.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »
i heard someone on here say they ground through the zipties straight away and know of other people doing the same. the mankey strap was always the best way to fit the older ones anyway so i dunno why they designed the newer ones for zipties

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:11 AM »
Agree on the mankey strap and laces etc., but they are hard as fuck to fit properly when you have one on the other side already, I used to have a lace on one side of my front wheel and zipties on the other. 48h might have had something to do with it mind

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
i heard someone on here say they ground through the zipties straight away and know of other people doing the same. the mankey strap was always the best way to fit the older ones anyway so i dunno why they designed the newer ones for zipties

Might've been me, but I ground thru the strap right away. I was grinding a skatepark ledge with angle iron on it, which is the type of ledge I would want a guard for, and about midway thru the session it was hanging by a thread.

What kind of issues have you heard about with the Merritt? I've probably installed about 20 thus far, and by all accounts hey seem to be working great.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »

Might've been me, but I ground thru the strap right away. I was grinding a skatepark ledge with angle iron on it, which is the type of ledge I would want a guard for, and about midway thru the session it was hanging by a thread.

What kind of issues have you heard about with the Merritt? I've probably installed about 20 thus far, and by all accounts hey seem to be working great.
ah yeah it was you. i saw a merrit on insta that was totally ripped apart. the person posted it on the merrit page and it was promptly deleted

sans.terre

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
the merritt one looks so cool tho :(

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »
give it a go then, i think theyre pretty cheap. however, running an angle grinder against it isnt the same as the impacts from actual grinds (kinda like how mcgoo sucking off a peg isnt the same as doing grinds either)

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 03:33:58 AM »
I wouldnt trust something you strap on the spokes. Try and find some press fit
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
I wouldnt trust something you strap on the spokes. Try and find some press fit
why not? the old gland 2s were great

Offline The Brawn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:38:29 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

Glands work like a treat and are pretty much indestructible. I've just put a S&M Cymbal on the rear and I've put the Gland on the front once I can get some extra spokes back in there. As a typical Animal supporter, I have about 8 broken spokes in the front.

I like the idea of Gland 3 over Gland 4. I'll investigate that more.

Offline The Brawn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
So I just had a brainstorm and made this from a conical carbon headset spacer. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207773088585371&set=a.1233061306849.36129.1238654153&type=1&theater

It's a cover over the steel part of the Animal hubguard.

I'll see how it goes over the weekend. Might see some F1 type shrapnel flying around.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
Be aware that the Merritt will not fit all hubs. It is only sold as a front and definitely doesn't fit Marmosets or Simian front hubs. Not sure about Animal hubs but probably wise to check first.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello