Multimedia

Author Topic: Apple's iCar or whatever..  (Read 29502 times)

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Apple's iCar or whatever..
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
It's not a natural enough progression. Self driving cars would need to be deeply established in our culture for this to happen, which is still years off. It's definitely feasible, but I don't think it will be Apple who implement it as you say. Once self driving cars are fully integrated (Oxford university are working on one with I think Nissan or Toyota, used to drive round my old work and local area, was driving on the roads 2+ years ago, so it isn't just Google who are pushing this) it would still be a generation before what you suggest will be marketable.
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
I can definitely see this happening, but I wouldn't be too stoked on it. I enjoy driving quite a bit, excluding of course the stop and go when I'm commuting to the office (108 km drive). Although one of the guys on my crew is totally ready for this to happen. But then, he's the kind of guy who doesn't do any maintenance on vehicles he's owned, never swapped from summer tires to winters, etc.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:58:55 AM by Cole »
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
How are execs going to let you know you have a shit pod and are not as good as they are? Apple will do the gold pod?

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 08:38:11 PM »
ugh, well first off thanks for that nightmare vision of the future which is worse because people will run to it arms out stretched especially if there's an apple logo on it and give me convenience or give me death, right?

i think it will take more than five years and many more to get to the jetson's standard of living. i imagine the rather more lame 'johnny cabs' from the running man to be the actual result, besides, i think you underestimate the london cab drivers union.

i think i saw a headline (but didn't check the story) of hoverboards being tested by pro skaters

now this is the one, if hoverboards come out before automated cars the future could be so many shades of rad, why sit in a box being shunted around when you can travel in such expressive style

people always wrongly assume that the best super power is flight* but if that's what the people want, then maybe it could be more conducive than a four day working week. world peace, here we come

people would love getting out of bed, obesity would be a thing of the past, recreational drugs obsolete and if it could be fuelled by some recycling element, then it really would be the shit

*it's infinite burritos and why do you need to fly if you can ride a bike?

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
The Lexus hoverboard was something that's been around. Super cooled superconductors that lock a magnetic field. The skatepark they built was a track underneath. They could only hover over this 30cm wide. Not a use anywhere McFly board.

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 12:25:08 AM »
That will not happen within the next 5-10 years.

I do see Apple trying to make their own self driving car, that of the likes of Google.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
ugh, well first off thanks for that nightmare vision of the future which is worse because people will run to it arms out stretched especially if there's an apple logo on it and give me convenience or give me death, right?

i think it will take more than five years and many more to get to the jetson's standard of living. i imagine the rather more lame 'johnny cabs' from the running man to be the actual result, besides, i think you underestimate the london cab drivers union.

i think i saw a headline (but didn't check the story) of hoverboards being tested by pro skaters

now this is the one, if hoverboards come out before automated cars the future could be so many shades of rad, why sit in a box being shunted around when you can travel in such expressive style

people always wrongly assume that the best super power is flight* but if that's what the people want, then maybe it could be more conducive than a four day working week. world peace, here we come

people would love getting out of bed, obesity would be a thing of the past, recreational drugs obsolete and if it could be fuelled by some recycling element, then it really would be the shit

*it's infinite burritos and why do you need to fly if you can ride a bike?

Initially, they will be expensive and they WILL be a status symbol, but of course there will be a similar urge to upgrade every year, so the MD will be using one first, and a few years later when the MD has a Pod4 the clerical staff will be picking up used Pod1's...

Hoverboards are a lot further out. If you fancy a hoverboard then you should try a onewheel:- http://rideonewheel.com/

Had a go on one of these in June and am probably going to have to get one sooner or later. It would be very easy to imagine you are riding a hoverboard when you are on it. Lean forward and go effortlessly, very smooth, and super easy to learn and control. I got on and was doing 15 miles an hour feeling like I had almost complete control within 5 seconds.
Yes, for a journey of 2 or 3 miles its ideal, but you wouldn't want to go 100+ on anything like that.

A LOT of people in California (and Texas and Arizona and Nevada and lots of other states) are commuting on freeways for 10, 20, 30, 50 miles even, and its regularly 30 degrees. I love cycling, but you will never see significant numbers of people cycling for the majority of their journeys.

And this is before you consider, disabled people and the elderly etc. I would bet that a lot of Google and Apple exec's have parents that are 70+ and still driving and it scares them. Get them into a nice safe autonomous car and it buys several years of independence and quality of life...

By 2030 I reckon they will have banned people from driving their own cars on public roads unless their is a computer double checking what they are doing..

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
Let's not forget that by the time this technology is widely adopted a lot or dare I say, the majority of jobs will be done by robots and algorithms. There won't be long commutes to non existent jobs.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
I consider this very unlikely. People usually speculate videly about Apple's product development and then it turns out to be almost nothing spectacular. My guess is that it would be a sort of iPad for the car that also work as a dashboard and have some minor car control abilities.

The whole concept of pod cars seem far fetched and nothing a sane business consultant would recommend looking into. I also cannot see this working for family trips or (most alarmingly) BMX roadtrips
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
I can see a subscription based self driving car thing coming around. Pay a monthly fee, get a car near/at your home. Get driven to work, decide to go for a beer, end up in a different city, get a car back home. It doesn't matter that its a different car because they're all the same.

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »
So a self driving taxi, you're saying?
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
Don't be ridiculous. He means a car that you don't own but can hire to drive you places whenever you need it and when you reach your destination it moves on to the next nearest person who needs a ride. There would be many of them and all look alike. I'm thinking yellow would be a good color for them. They could even make it so you can summon one of these cars using your phone.

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 12:47:04 AM »
Don't be ridiculous. He means a car that you don't own but can hire to drive you places whenever you need it and when you reach your destination it moves on to the next nearest person who needs a ride. There would be many of them and all look alike. I'm thinking yellow would be a good color for them. They could even make it so you can summon one of these cars using your phone.

Too futuristic. I don't see that happening in my life time!
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 03:11:08 AM »
So a self driving taxi, you're saying?

Exactly that. Its what they'll be used for initially...

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
Let's not forget that by the time this technology is widely adopted a lot or dare I say, the majority of jobs will be done by robots and algorithms. There won't be long commutes to non existent jobs.

People have been saying this for decades, centuries almost. All mechanisation/automation ever does is move jobs. A hundred years ago, people worked in mills and mines, now they do customer sevice, programming, service etc, in another hundred years who knows, maybe we'll be able to have more teachers, artists, inventors, nurses etc even if people dont need to work anymore they will still want to go places for leisure. But we aren't talking that long anyway. Look at the internet. In about 10-15 years it went from "what the fuck is the internet?" to "I cant believe there is no fucking internet here!".
Once there is the option for browsing the internet on the highway (instead of concentrating on traffic) on that boring drive to visit your Mother/Grandmother/Brother/Sister or whatever, or to just send the pod to pick up your Auntie from the airport or to go out and get drunk and have the pod take you home and you can even just doze off in it. Then driving yourself will quickly seem "fucking stupid".

I consider this very unlikely. People usually speculate videly about Apple's product development and then it turns out to be almost nothing spectacular. My guess is that it would be a sort of iPad for the car that also work as a dashboard and have some minor car control abilities.

The whole concept of pod cars seem far fetched and nothing a sane business consultant would recommend looking into. I also cannot see this working for family trips or (most alarmingly) BMX roadtrips

If it was just an "add on" for existing cars then there wouldn't be the same need to hire shit loads of automotive engineers.

Why would this not work for family trips? No reason the pod cant be big enough for a whole family or group of riders, and no reason you cant hire a second trolley to follow you around with a cargo pod mounted in the same way you would hire a Uhaul truck or trailer.

I can see a subscription based self driving car thing coming around. Pay a monthly fee, get a car near/at your home. Get driven to work, decide to go for a beer, end up in a different city, get a car back home. It doesn't matter that its a different car because they're all the same.

Sure there will be some market for a taxi version like Google are working on, but people have got used to their home comforts in their own car. People want a box of tissues, blanket, sweets, phone charger, spare shoes, a 9mm etc on hand without actually carrying all that crap around with them.

Suppose Apple launched this tomorrow.

Basic pods start at $10k and go up to $50k or even $100k for a sumptuously appointed 6 seater. No insurance, tax servicing or licence needed. Travel is $0.25/mile. OR you can pay a monthly fee like you do for a phone, say $500 a month (for a base model) with a basic mileage allowance of 800 miles or something.

Are you really saying that they wouldn't have people queuing up? And the profit on something like this would be staggering. With a high rate of utilisation on trolleys and pods being very simple to produce they could easily have a 100% mark-up which would make the traditional car industry look very poor.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special