Multimedia

Author Topic: Chris Froome; Doping?  (Read 17831 times)

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Froome; Doping?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »
We don't use them in BMX because you need your chain to stay on more than you need to improve pedaling efficiency.

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
I believe team sky developed an elliptical one which significantly decreased the de-chaining on the tour, Sean Yates (Director Sportif of Team Sky) “At the Tour, the Sky mechanics were told that dropping the chain was not an option. So they designed a chain guard to make sure that wasn’t going to happen. You can drop a chain from round rings too and it’s not really commented on, but with Osymetric it’s a big deal.”

Even so, there have been too many debates to count about the benefits v detriments of Osymetric chain rings. Some people say that the pro's flat spots in their pedal action are not significant, even if on paper they should be very good; there must be a reason not every single pro is using them.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 04:59:32 AM »
Nice to see some intelligent threads on BG over the last few weeks.

He also openly uses a sitting pedaling style and elliptical rings, both of which have the potential to really help.

Hey G, excuse my ignorance but what are elliptical rings? Oval chainrings? What advantages do these offer and if there is a significant difference why don't we use them in everyday cycling (or BMX for that matter)?

Just that. Rings where the teeth are arranged around an ellipse rather than a simple circle.

The reason we dont see them used that much (though the popularity is really growing now) is that Shimano had a crack at it in the 90's and made a total arse of it. They put the offset in the wrong orientation.

The idea is that you cant push in the top and bottom dead-spots so you want to get through those areas as quickly as possible and with less resistance. So at these points you have a diameter that is like a smaller ring, then in the places where you can really put the power down, you have a larger diameter.

I made myself an elliptical ring for my MTB about a year ago now and wouldn't go back now. For an MTB, especially when climbing, it is amazing, much easier to pedal up hard technical sections because you are much less likely to get stuck at the dead spot.   

I would happily run one on my BMX, chain tension is unaffected (if you get it right) and there is no reason your chain would be more likely to come off. Would be great for places where you have limited time to get your run up to speed, however on grinds it sticks down lower than normal so that isnt ideal.

Die-hard road bikers say that they "feel" strange and claim they are less smooth, but I think that this is actually more down to them being used to an unsmooth cadence from the round so when they try elliptical it being smoother feels weird. If you are actually putting any power down then an elliptical ring clearly offers better "matching" to the kinematics of your leg movement than a round one does.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 06:03:59 AM »
I tried Rotor oval rings recently and it didn't feel much better on the flats, hard to really tell though. It definitely felt good on a steep climb though, almost like it took the edge off the pedal stroke when it got to the top and let you put a bit more power on the downpedal. Hard to really explain.

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »
Cool, that makes sense. Would be funny to see how many BMX kids installed them at the wrong angle if they ever took off in our little world.
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
would anyone here run an elliptical sprocket? I actually want one now

Offline BrokenEnglish

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »
Could high altitude training be considered doping? I was watching a doping documentary the other day and they mention testing blood cell count in it. Just curious. Sorry if its a dumb question, just curious.
Quote from: couch;3268543
S\'n D for 7068, I see nothing wrong with that.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 09:13:56 PM »
Could high altitude training be considered doping? I was watching a doping documentary the other day and they mention testing blood cell count in it. Just curious. Sorry if its a dumb question, just curious.

Blood cell doping is a thing. You can get blood transfusions to up your red blood cell count.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline BrokenEnglish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
Yea I heard of people getting transfusions between stages at the tour. Transfusions must be a more extreme increase in blood cells than high altitude training. Im more just curious if anyone has failed because of high altitude training. More or less just thinking out loud at this point haha.

Offline BrokenEnglish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
Then they should have a doped category and non-doped category. I'd watch that.

I think a steroid olympics would be cool. See how far the human body could be pushed with medicine.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:45 AM »

It wouldn't be classed as doping but some of the Columbians (Quintana etc) grew up cycling at high altitude so that could be a factor.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/01/news/nairo-quintana-naturally-suited-tours-mountains_359088

Some people disagree: http://inrng.com/2013/04/colombia-cycling-altitude/

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »
Yea I heard of people getting transfusions between stages at the tour. Transfusions must be a more extreme increase in blood cells than high altitude training. Im more just curious if anyone has failed because of high altitude training. More or less just thinking out loud at this point haha.

They are transfusing bags of pRBCs (packed red blood cells), which have been separated from other aspects of your blood. With high altitude training/blood doping it is a similar idea. You train at altitude, which naturally increases your red blood cells. You then draw/collect your blood after training at altitude for a while. Back at sea level your body will kill off the excess red blood cells as you don't need them, but you can then transfuse your blood you saved from the altitude to boost your RBC count.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
for anyone interested, sheldon brown (rip) wrote a thing about biopace and using it with fixed gear setups (which is kind of similar to if you were running it single speed on a bmx.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

My roadbike that i found on a verge has biopace chainrings on it but i never realy ride it enough to notice the effect
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello