Multimedia

Author Topic: The Anti-Odyssey  (Read 17196 times)

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
The Anti-Odyssey
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
I'm stuck at home with a bum knee and feel like spending money on a bike to pass the time. The trouble is, I have a mental condition where I've convinced myself that Odyssey is the only company worth buying products from. I have three bikes right now, two of which are Sundays, and all three are fully spec'd with Odyssey parts with the exception of one T-1 sprocket.

Stranger appeals to me, and Eclat as well, but what am I missing? Oh bikeguide, help me build non-Odyssey bike.

Offline torontoflatlander

• Veteran
  • This guy
    • View Profile
Re: The Anti-Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Quote from: The Fresh Pinch;3592393
No one likes a salty member.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm looking to park a Chevy in my all Ford garage.

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:33 PM »
Tree sprocket and hubs, fbm or t1 frame or the wtp patron frame, odyssey forks, maybe some flybike bits, eclat as you mentioned, plenty of fancy stuff out there right now actually!

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »
I've got an anti odyssey bike.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:21:24 AM »
Eclat for larger size company that can actually focus on design of products. Tree for specialized parts. Profile or shadow for other options
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:09:17 AM »
I like Fly and Cult. Some of the new Odyssey stuff looks really good. Also, Odyssey forks are still the best.
Hangovers and trains

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
Get a Thomson stem. Haven't seen one in forever.

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »
I like Fly and Cult. Some of the new Odyssey stuff looks really good. Also, Odyssey forks are still the best.
Dude, I'm trying to steer away from Odyssey.
I have pretty much zero experience with Fly, seeing as how I live in the middle of nowhere. Something about Fly doesn't sit well with me, like they have a strong Taiwan-ish appearance.
At this point, I'm leaning towards a Cult frame with Eclat bits, and Odyssey forks because they are the undisputed champion.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »
Odyssey doesn't have a strong Tawian presence??

Offline montymitch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
Odyssey doesn't have a strong Tawian presence??
I never said I was a smart man. I am admittedly heavily biased towards Odyssey, and this is exactly why I want to build an anti-Odyssey bike. To me, Odyssey does a good job maintaining consistency throughout their lineup, but Fly's stuff looks like there are some conflicting design principles at work. I can't tell the difference between their cheap stuff and their premium parts. Don't ask me to elaborate, because I am not a designer. I'm just a guy that looks at bike parts on the interwebs and tries to make decisions.

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
the new fly etnies tripod seat is the only nice tripod seat i've seen so far and i think that's only because it reminds me of a balance

http://www.flybikes.com/post/1432608360-2016-Preview-Flybikes-X-Etnies-Tripod-Seat

otherwise get some more pegs?

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
S&M Forks, Bars, Stem and grips.
Eclat or Fly Brake stuff.
Tree seat, seat post, hubs, sprocket.
The new Primo Powerbites, and JJ pedals.
Revenge Arc rims.
KMC chain.
BSD Tires.

I mean, I guess, but you are really screwing yourself on Cranks, forks and Rims.

You could just accept that Odyssey has been around for a really long time and make pretty good parts, so that's why you have a ton of them.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
I know the bg view of shadow. Despite that, their warranty for shit that I've had issue with, which was their sandwich welded cranks and one of the inserts on the powerbite style cranks which I got in warranty from broken crmo cranks. I didn't hesitate buying more of their shit for my bike.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
You could get some G-Sport wheels  ;D

Failing that, how about widening your horizons? You have three solid bikes, look into other things, off the top of my head:-

1. Plan ramps, dirt-jumps, little alterations to natural terrain like drainage ditches.

2. Plan a trip.

3. Get a motorbike. (I have been amazed how the experience of riding a motorbike has made me think about how I ride BMX and MTB more).

4. Do a wild paint job on one of your existing bikes.

5. Write a long and detailed rebuttal of why all my ideas suck and try to work in as many references to cheese as possible.

6. Send time wasting letters/emails to companies and see if you get an answer. For example:-

Dear water company,

I have been relatively happy with your service over the last few years, but some weeks ago I noticed that my warm water taps no longer work. The cold taps all still work very well, but all the water being supplied to the warm taps appears to be absolutely stone cold. When I tried to phone your help line about this issue I received a a tirade of abuse... etc etc.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello