Multimedia

Author Topic: Fairdale Taj or SS mtb  (Read 17732 times)

Offline Hank Chinaski

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Fairdale Taj or SS mtb
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Someone here in town is offering a like new (looks barely ridden) Fairdale Taj for $350. Anyone have experience on one? Are they safe to jump and ramp around? We're moving to Colorado soon and there's a couple small dirt jump parks/pump tracks around and I thought since I sold my BMX maybe this would cure the itch. Plus seems like I could use it as a bar cruiser too.

My other thought is would a dirt jump oriented SS mtb be a better idea and is anything in the $500 and under (used) category even worth looking at?
Quote from:
His hair is alive with the crimson ghost of our father\'s lost adventures!

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
Re: Fairdale Taj or SS mtb
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
That sounds like a pretty damn good deal. I don't know from experience but looking at the Taj I'd think it would handle some shit. Couldn't imagine they just forgot everything they knew about BMX when they made it.

It's gonna ride more like a BMX than these dirt jumpy mountain bikes. I feel like, while there are some crazy deals on old mountain bikes, alot of the time it's something like ~$1200 for a $4000 bike, and the cheaper ones tend to be worse for wear, cheap, or beat.

If I were you I'd snatch that Taj, jump it and pump it till it breaks. Easy enough to find a crazy deal on a used mountain bike frame.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
Someone here in town is offering a like new (looks barely ridden) Fairdale Taj for $350. Anyone have experience on one? Are they safe to jump and ramp around? We're moving to Colorado soon and there's a couple small dirt jump parks/pump tracks around and I thought since I sold my BMX maybe this would cure the itch. Plus seems like I could use it as a bar cruiser too.

My other thought is would a dirt jump oriented SS mtb be a better idea and is anything in the $500 and under (used) category even worth looking at?

That seems like a good deal, just over half price. Yes it will take jumping and ramping.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
Usually I'd say get a mountain bike but for that price go for it. I'd put smaller bars on though.
Hangovers and trains

Offline TheRadness

• KILLEMALL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
I've got one and love it, a friend of mine built a taj frame at into a rad cafe thing.

I'd go for it, but keep in mind the bb is pretty low.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »
Bigger dirt jumps and pump tracks? SS 26" DJ bike

Off road use only? SS rigid 29er.

For ramping, jumping and cruising? Taj all day long.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
For $350, I'd say get it.  No question it'll be fun.  (And I'm a big fan of both Fairdale and Taj).

At the same time, having spent the last 9 years riding mtb (dirt jump, ss xc, 4x, and DH) in addition to BMX . . . I think in terms of progressive 26" riding, you might get more out of a DJ mtb.  Or, you might get more out of a 24" BMX like a Sunday ModelC/WaveC if you really want to ride concrete park a lot, etc.

Although I definitely appreciate the Taj's early-80's-retro vibe, it's worth pointing out that it does have long chainstays and a low bb.   Progressive DJ-mtb's typically have around 15"-15.75" cs  these days, so 16.41" is long.  Also most DJ-mtb's are around 1" bb drop or even less (for example the TRANSITION BLT has zero bb drop while the PBJ has 25mm.  So, 40mm bb drop on the TAJ seems pretty old school--reminiscent of a Mongoose KOS or something.  The top tube on the Taj is 22.6"--so that's pretty comparable to a Large DJ-mtb.  A 71 degree head angle is pretty close to DJ mtb's--they are typically 69, 70, or 71, and steepen up a little if you run a short travel fork (80mm travel instead of 100mm travel... or a shorter rigid fork).   The now discontinued Volume Sledgehammer and Volume Hessian were more "progressive" for 26" (but I guess in the end not popular enough to continue making..... I have no idea where Volume is now--my impression is they bailed on 26"/700c).  All this said, I haven't ridden a Fairdale TAJ, and I'd be stoked to ride one and see what it's like. 

You should probably buy it, regardless of whether you also pick up an mtb.

http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/view-bike-archive/2014-taj/

GEOMETRY

TOP TUBE LENGTH (ACTUAL): 575mm (22.6")
TOP TUBE LENGTH (HORIZONTAL): 600mm
SEAT TUBE (BB CENTER TO TOP): 440mm (17.32")
SEAT TUBE (BB CENTER TO TT CENTER): 414mm
SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 71º
HEAD TUBE HEIGHT: 111.5mm
HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 71º
CHAIN STAYS LENGTH: 417mm (16.41")
DROPOUT SPACING: 110mm
BB DROP: 40mm
BB TYPE: Mid Press Fit
SEAT POST: Use 27.2mm
SEAT CLAMP: Use 30mm

Black Market Edit1 (pictured with rigid fork, but people also run suspension fork)

Rocky Mountain Flow dj - $500 (broomfield)
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5062962839.html

NS Bikes Metropolis 1 - $800
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5017201514.html

Deity Cryptkeeper - $1175
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5020538963.html

Atomlab Pimp 2 Dirt Jumper DJ BMX Hardtail - $650
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5023812717.html

2013 Eastern maddog 26inch dirt jumper - $400  (I know Eastern sorta took a nosedive--just including it for comparison).
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5033645831.html

I know you're on a budget . . . but if you did want to do a high end build on a DJ mtb, but stay loyal to a BMX brand . . . STANDARD makes a 26" DJ: 
http://www.standardbyke.com/26-frames/

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:43:36 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
. . . We're moving to Colorado soon  . . .

Definitely plan on doing some DH too!  It's fun to hit the mountains during the events like Colorado Freeride Fest etc. as well:

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:36:57 AM »
That looks scary as fuck
Hangovers and trains

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:11:19 AM »
For $350, I'd say get it.  No question it'll be fun.  (And I'm a big fan of both Fairdale and Taj).

At the same time, having spent the last 9 years riding mtb (dirt jump, ss xc, 4x, and DH) in addition to BMX . . . I think in terms of progressive 26" riding, you might get more out of a DJ mtb.  Or, you might get more out of a 24" BMX like a Sunday ModelC/WaveC if you really want to ride concrete park a lot, etc.

Although I definitely appreciate the Taj's early-80's-retro vibe, it's worth pointing out that it does have long chainstays and a low bb.   Progressive DJ-mtb's typically have around 15"-15.75" cs  these days, so 16.41" is long.  Also most DJ-mtb's are around 1" bb drop or even less (for example the TRANSITION BLT has zero bb drop while the PBJ has 25mm.  So, 40mm bb drop on the TAJ seems pretty old school--reminiscent of a Mongoose KOS or something.  The top tube on the Taj is 22.6"--so that's pretty comparable to a Large DJ-mtb.  A 71 degree head angle is pretty close to DJ mtb's--they are typically 69, 70, or 71, and steepen up a little if you run a short travel fork (80mm travel instead of 100mm travel... or a shorter rigid fork).   The now discontinued Volume Sledgehammer and Volume Hessian were more "progressive" for 26" (but I guess in the end not popular enough to continue making..... I have no idea where Volume is now--my impression is they bailed on 26"/700c).  All this said, I haven't ridden a Fairdale TAJ, and I'd be stoked to ride one and see what it's like. 

You should probably buy it, regardless of whether you also pick up an mtb.

Cant really argue with this.

Get the Taj, but if you are moving to Colorardo I think you should really think seriously about getting a proper MTB too. A full suspension bike is very different to a BMX and it takes a few rides to get used to it and to get into riding distance, but it is a lot of fun and Colorado looks too amazing not to explore off road. Personally I would look for a really good second hand 26" wheel full sus bike with 5-6" of travel. Nearly everyone seems to be jumping to 29" or 27.5"/650b so there are bargains to be had on 26" wheeled bikes second hand and lets face it, they are often more fun anyway.

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »
I've put in over 250 miles on my Taj since last summer.  Super fun bike.  I've jumped our box jump on it, gone on 15+ mile rides, rode one on a vert ramp at TX Toast a few years back...  Just an overall super fun bike.  My buddy rode mine and ended up buying one for himself because he was that stoked on it. 

Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline Hank Chinaski

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »

Get the Taj, but if you are moving to Colorardo I think you should really think seriously about getting a proper MTB too. A full suspension bike is very different to a BMX and it takes a few rides to get used to it and to get into riding distance, but it is a lot of fun and Colorado looks too amazing not to explore off road. Personally I would look for a really good second hand 26" wheel full sus bike with 5-6" of travel. Nearly everyone seems to be jumping to 29" or 27.5"/650b so there are bargains to be had on 26" wheeled bikes second hand and lets face it, they are often more fun anyway.

G.

I've got a full sus MTB already, an '09 Giant Trance x1 that I've upgraded a fair number of parts on so that will be my main ride. But I will admit that I want to make the jump to 650b.  I demo'd a 2015 Bronson and Nomad both in 650b and really liked both (Bronson a bit more because I climb to go down).  It was the one kitted out with ENVE wheels and a 10k price tag though so it'd be hard not to like it.  I'm interested in trying the new Mojo HD3 as well, heard good things.  My fiance has rented MTBs to ride with me a few times and wants to start riding so my plan is to buy an XS frame and swap all my 26'er parts over to get her a badass bike that won't cost much.

The Taj just appeals to me because it's similar to a BMX and I sold mine recently. Plus Taj has been my favorite rider since I was 13 watching ECD and UGP Face Value.  I had a Hoffman Taj as my first legit BMX too.  Just seemed fitting.  But looking at it practically, I just don't know how much I would ride it.  If it's long, low, and less flickable, I don't see myself riding that as much as something more like a BMX eventually. And if I'm honest, I'm not sure how much I'll ride anything except the MTB for a very long time after moving to CO.
Quote from:

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »

G.

I've got a full sus MTB already, an '09 Giant Trance x1 that I've upgraded a fair number of parts on so that will be my main ride. But I will admit that I want to make the jump to 650b.  I demo'd a 2015 Bronson and Nomad both in 650b and really liked both (Bronson a bit more because I climb to go down).  It was the one kitted out with ENVE wheels and a 10k price tag though so it'd be hard not to like it.  I'm interested in trying the new Mojo HD3 as well, heard good things.  My fiance has rented MTBs to ride with me a few times and wants to start riding so my plan is to buy an XS frame and swap all my 26'er parts over to get her a badass bike that won't cost much.

The Taj just appeals to me because it's similar to a BMX and I sold mine recently. Plus Taj has been my favorite rider since I was 13 watching ECD and UGP Face Value.  I had a Hoffman Taj as my first legit BMX too.  Just seemed fitting.  But looking at it practically, I just don't know how much I would ride it.  If it's long, low, and less flickable, I don't see myself riding that as much as something more like a BMX eventually. And if I'm honest, I'm not sure how much I'll ride anything except the MTB for a very long time after moving to CO.

Its not like its a risk though. Buy the Taj at that price and chances are you will be able to sell it on for the same money later if you aren't making use of it.

Where have you rented MTB's? I might need to rent one somewhere in Northern California later this month (probably going to have a few days to kill near SF and would rather go ride some amazing wilderness than sit on my arse in a hotel).

G.

Offline Hank Chinaski

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »

G.

Its not like its a risk though. Buy the Taj at that price and chances are you will be able to sell it on for the same money later if you aren't making use of it.

Where have you rented MTB's? I might need to rent one somewhere in Northern California later this month (probably going to have a few days to kill near SF and would rather go ride some amazing wilderness than sit on my arse in a hotel).

G.

I read that the IBIS and Santa Cruz factories both rent their bikes out cheap. I think IBIS was like $20 a day on the article I read. Otherwise just look at whatever larger mtb shops are around. There were 3-4 in San Diego that had demo/rental bikes, there's gotta be way more up that way. Just need a credit card for them to hold for deposit.
Quote from:

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:33:35 PM »

G.

G.

I read that the IBIS and Santa Cruz factories both rent their bikes out cheap. I think IBIS was like $20 a day on the article I read. Otherwise just look at whatever larger mtb shops are around. There were 3-4 in San Diego that had demo/rental bikes, there's gotta be way more up that way. Just need a credit card for them to hold for deposit.

Whoa, that's a good tip, thanks.

I was mostly looking for stuff near proper wilderness you can ride. No idea where would be good from that point of view. You only get 4hours with the Santa Cruz demo bikes so I guess it would have to be a local ride (though I think they have some good stuff near there).

G.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:33:35 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special