Multimedia

Author Topic: big boys bike advice.  (Read 28671 times)

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
Re: big boys bike advice.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 06:19:46 AM »
So this rack would do? Or would anyone recommend anything?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-tourist-dx-fdisc-rear-rack/

Another thing - can someone recommend a decent light that's not massively expensive.

Rack and lights will depend on what you need them for and your budget.

You can get amazing LED lights these days, some will light up a trail well enough to ride fast off road in total darkness, but are way overkill for commuting on lit roads. Personally I like USB rechargeable ones for town. I have Lezyne Hecto Drives right now, and previously had Knog Blinder 4's. I think if I was doing it again I would go with a Hecto for the front and a Blinder 4 for the back. The Hecto rear is as big as the front but has a run time that is about 5 times what it is on the front, which is daft. But there may well be something better than either of these available now. 

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
About 25 quid on a rack.
No more than a couple of kilos, mainly a spare pair of clothes and my lunch.

And about 35 quid on lights.
The route is mainly unlit so looking for something rechargeable, that can light up the way home.

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »
About 25 quid on a rack.
No more than a couple of kilos, mainly a spare pair of clothes and my lunch.

And about 35 quid on lights.
The route is mainly unlit so looking for something rechargeable, that can light up the way home.

Rack rise you can pick up a tortec lite for £19something off wiggle. Light wise I'm mega happy with my Lezyne macro front and micro rear. They've put up with the pouring rain no problem and hold battery on standby for a week at least however they are £56 ish for a pair online in silver. Halfords (I work for them) do a knock off set for £20 a pair (pm if you fancy them. I'll knock a bit off and post them if I can). They're rechargeable but they don't have as many settings or the click once for battery check and obvs the battery isn't as good. For commuting they'll be fine. For out in the woods they'll be shit.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:35:58 PM by Finn the Human »

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
For lights on a commuting bike I feel like the easiest to remove and take with you, or the hardest to get off are best. One decent tip I heard yesterday was to zip-tie those silicone ones on. Makes it a bit harder to just nab them. But that's in Switzerland where people leave Brooks saddlebags on their bike while its locked up. I actually left a bike completely unlocked for like a week by accident. No worries.

I bought some of those designy magnetic onces you find in museum gift shops. They're super conveniene and easy to pull off and tuck in the pocket, steel only though. The problem is it's just a single LED and the quality is not where it should be. First set I had one was problematic, got a replacement, works but still a finicky bitch sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:32:25 AM by MilkyWilky »

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
Close to impulse buying one of those Fairdales, such a bargain.
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
I've been thinking of grabbing a Fairdale Goodship. Anyone tried one/ know who stocks them in the UK?

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
do any racks fit or do i need a 'disc specific' rack?

i think i was a bit naieve to think i could get decent lights for £35 so will have to up my budget.
what is the minimum lumens you guys would recommend for riding at night on unlit roads, which are usb rechargeable and last for around 2 hours? i have seen ones on ebay/amazon going for a reasonable amount but i'm not sure how long they would last.

i also dont believe that cheap waterproof pannier exist which is a pain.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

i think i was a bit naieve to think i could get decent lights for £35 so will have to up my budget.
what is the minimum lumens you guys would recommend for riding at night on unlit roads, which are usb rechargeable and last for around 2 hours? i have seen ones on ebay/amazon going for a reasonable amount but i'm not sure how long they would last.

Look into those Cree lights from China, mega bright.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »

I paid about that for both my Knog Blinder 4's and my Lezyne Hecto drives, but they were both bargains that I spotted at the time. Just trawl Wiggle and ebay etc..

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline amishrob

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ewankrob
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »
knog blinder 4's are surprisingly good, i use those and lezyne micro drives and find the knogs better. the lezynes suffer from shit battery and QC, but last long enough for my commutes (and i got them dirt cheap) that i'm not really bothered.

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
So its all built up. I haven't riden it yet. I think it may be a little big. There is no room between my balls and toptube.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »
Get someone to take a picture of you on it, as if it is too big its going to be uncomfortable and you won't enjoy riding it.
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
It isn't really a big deal if there's no gap between the top tube and your balls as long as they're not getting completely smashed. Focus on getting cockpit room right and you should be alright. Play with different stem lengths and bar set ups and see what works for you.

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
Get someone to take a picture of you on it, as if it is too big its going to be uncomfortable and you won't enjoy riding it.

I alway get uncomfortable when I have someone take a picture of me.

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »
She looks alright now.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello