Multimedia

Author Topic: big boys bike advice.  (Read 28681 times)

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
big boys bike advice.
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
So I've managed to bag a job for September that's about 11 miles away. I've been looking into getting a big boys bike but need some advice. Its pretty hilly, 20% at one point, and the route is single track country lanes for a lot of it. So not smooth tarmac. What would people recommend? Budget is around £750.
Do I get a road bike? Cyclocross? A rigid mountain bike?

I would like something I can stick some slightly more aggressive tyres on for the winter.

I was thinking of a canndale synapse disc 105 which is a bit over budget. Any cheaper alternatives?

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
Re: big boys bike advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »
24 inch bmx

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
just get a rocker mini bike  8)

;D

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
I road it today to see what the route was like. Bombing down the hills kicks ass obviously, but inclines where an absolute killer on the bmx.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Get a used CX bike. Check LFGSS

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
Defo CX bike, you can throw road tires on it if you wanna do road rides too. My CX bike has 30c road tires on at the moment that work for everything now it's pretty much dry.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Are you going to be riding it year round and regardless of rain etc? Do you need to take "stuff" with you? If so I would look for something with space for mudguards and a rack, disc brakes would be a plus. Maybe even an Alfine hub gear.
How do you feel about drop or flat bars?

You could easily get a Fairdale Weekender for that, or just get frame and fork and build it up how you like, that's a pretty decent budget.

If you didn't want a product I am associated with Genesis do something that might fit the bill I think its the Day One but the disc alfine version would be a little over your budget.

Personally I would probably try to build something up from the Weekender frameset which there are some good deals on floating about, stick flat bars on and Shimano MTB bits to get 1 by 10 and hydraulic discs... Was looking for the frame but actually stumbled on this which is a crazy bargain http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-rigid-c30/fairdale-weekender-og-hybrid-bike-2013-p784

:)
G.

G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
So I've managed to bag a job for September that's about 11 miles away. I've been looking into getting a big boys bike but need some advice. Its pretty hilly, 20% at one point, and the route is single track country lanes for a lot of it. So not smooth tarmac. What would people recommend? Budget is around £750.

I would like something I can stick some slightly more aggressive tyres on for the winter.

I was thinking of a canndale synapse disc 105 which is a bit over budget. Any cheaper alternatives?

I love my Fairdale Weekender.  Admittedly it is the first bike of this style that I've ever had. But, it's kind of ridiculous how much faster and efficiently you can ride on the road, over distance. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:13:30 PM by cmc4130 »

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
Are you going to be riding it year round and regardless of rain etc? Do you need to take "stuff" with you? If so I would look for something with space for mudguards and a rack, disc brakes would be a plus. Maybe even an Alfine hub gear.
How do you feel about drop or flat bars?

You could easily get a Fairdale Weekender for that, or just get frame and fork and build it up how you like, that's a pretty decent budget.

If you didn't want a product I am associated with Genesis do something that might fit the bill I think its the Day One but the disc alfine version would be a little over your budget.

Personally I would probably try to build something up from the Weekender frameset which there are some good deals on floating about, stick flat bars on and Shimano MTB bits to get 1 by 10 and hydraulic discs... Was looking for the frame but actually stumbled on this which is a crazy bargain http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-rigid-c30/fairdale-weekender-og-hybrid-bike-2013-p784

G.

That's a hell of a deal.  I felt lucky getting one in Austin on craigslist for $550. The OG Weekenders get snatched up quick. 

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »
y'all probably saw this already. ;)   it tripped a lot of people out.  i wanna try it (need to find some steps with the right spacing--looks like one wheelbase-ish).

http://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/1wxhxz/this_guy_climbing_stairs/

Danno

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »

Is your new job back here or away? We keep the synapse range on display all the time so you're welcome to pop in if you wanna sit on one, go round the block or just get some general advice. It's a seriously popular bike!

I'd also look at the GT Grade. It's an adventure/gravel road bike - so more road based than a cyclocross bike and we've done well with them since its release this model year. The higher end carbon model won best debut in cycling plus bike of the year which is always a good sign, and they do some aluminium options in your budget. I'll hook you up a deal on either.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:16 AM »
^Is the Grade the one with the camo bartape? If so then get that. Just for the bartape.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »
Deff look into something with fender mounts. They make your bike look goofy as fuck but are great in the wet. Most entry level CX and road bikes will have them. I haven't tried a Weekender but I've got an OG Fairdale Parser and it is great.
Hangovers and trains

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
I probably won't be using it when its bad weather if I'm honest but will probably get caught out.

Im not that keen on building something up as I have no idea what's compatible with what. 

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
I probably won't be using it when its bad weather if I'm honest but will probably get caught out.

Im not that keen on building something up as I have no idea what's compatible with what.

Just buy that weekender I linked to. As long as you are looking for a large that is a ridiculous bargain, the shop will be making a fairly large loss on it at that price and I doubt it will be there long (tempted to buy it myself as its less than I could get one for even working for them!) If you dont buy that you are going to end up paying twice that (your full budget) for something similar. At half price you will have £300 left to play with on guards and a rack of you need them, and personally I would upgrade it to hydraulic brakes (SLX probably) and you would have yourself a great bike.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special