Multimedia

Author Topic: threadworthy: hubguards  (Read 19348 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• Doctor
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
threadworthy: hubguards
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:08:30 PM »

so since i've been bmxing, hubguards have come a long way

from nothing except glands (which lets be honest are plug ugly, EXCEPT THE NEW ONES) really have done the job without spreading the frame etc

and now everyone (at last) seem to do them for their own hubs, threadable, slot on, etc

the merrit ones seem interesting but maybe the gland 4's already make them obsolete

thoughts? how much is too much for a guard? they are pricey for specific ones but arguably worth it

plus, plastic or 4130, and why?

very nerdy, but arguably, hub guards are what have come on the most

come at me bra

http://themerged.com/merritt-tension-hub-guard-available-now/

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
Re: threadworthy: hubguards
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
fuck pegs

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
Glands are deadly. I'd probably meritt's next and have been using knight gurds for a few years. The problem with knight guards is that they stick to the ratchet axle.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »
chromoly is what I would want. Slides very very nice. Though its the most expensive option.

Offline thatotherguy84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
I was running into this issue last night when buying my new wheelset, Last wheel set I bought I didn't have to worry about it since it was a set of primos, which the N4FL is probably one of the best hubs/hubguards I've ever ran in my life.

Ended up picking up a set of profile hubs with all profile guards, I really wish they were chromoly and I wish they made a rear hubguard that works with bolt on hubs and not just 14mm threaded axle ones :/

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
I was running into this issue last night when buying my new wheelset, Last wheel set I bought I didn't have to worry about it since it was a set of primos, which the N4FL is probably one of the best hubs/hubguards I've ever ran in my life.

Ended up picking up a set of profile hubs with all profile guards, I really wish they were chromoly and I wish they made a rear hubguard that works with bolt on hubs and not just 14mm threaded axle ones :/
I ran a 3/8's axle on the back of a mini, along with their normal guard and a bsd one later on and they worked somehow.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »

I ran a 3/8's axle on the back of a mini, along with their normal guard and a bsd one later on and they worked somehow.

Yeah what? They work fine on the female axles.

Offline CHROME_RIMS_YO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
chromoly hubguards are what's up. i have had the same s&m cymbal non drive and daily grind drive side guards in the rear for over a year and they're holding up great. at first i had to use about 3 or 4mm worth of spacers in between the axle collars and each hubguard to make it so the inner edge didn't rub the spokes, so then i took the spacers out and used an angle grinder to take off a few mm on the inner edge of each guard. now i can take my wheel in and out of my frame without having to spread the stays at all. maintenance is easy, and the steel guards are durable as shit and seem to really enjoy going over brick ledges and skatestopped ledges.
OHH HIS NAME? HIS NAME IS RAAALF, MAN
Quote from: Mike Oxlong;3588221
I always thought you were black just like scram hype haha

Offline O.G. David

• View Profile
    • http://vimeo.com/user576863
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
fuck pegs

Offline RighteousBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:42 PM »
fuck pegs

Gonna have to whip out some El Guapos if you want me to go there, buddy.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
Regular diameter pegs are just slapping the walls?

Offline thatotherguy84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »

Yeah what? They work fine on the female axles.

For someone reason I had a dumb moment and forgot that all the collars on the hubs were the same size. Meh, I'll end up switching to female in the rear later on anyways.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
Plastic BSD or chromo s&m is what Ive been riding the last couple of years. Both good but the chromo is vastly superior to anything
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
Have you considered our new Uniguard?

http://www.gsportbmx.com/products/hub-guards/uniguard/

Pretty cheap, slides well and fitting is very straightforward with no dropout spreading.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:14 AM »
I see the structural idea of the shape of the uniguard, but worry that it would feel odd when ice-picking since its not round, seeing how I normally grind on normal hubguards.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:14 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello