Multimedia

Author Topic: Removing blown bearing race in odyssey driver  (Read 9461 times)

Offline dude...

• View Profile
Removing blown bearing race in odyssey driver
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:01:51 AM »
Specifically the newer type, with a roller bearing in the middle and a normal sealed bearing on the outside.

because of the roller bearing, i cant get the race out with the usual angled bit of metal/screwdriver + hammer to the back technique which usually does the trick for drivers with multiple sealed bearings in them.

thoughts? suggestions?
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Re: Removing blown bearing race in odyssey driver
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:12:33 AM »
I did something similar on my Ratchet and my KHE coaster.
On the KHE I just had to suffer through it with a screw driver. Took freaking ages but I finally got it out.

On the Ratchet I had to find a spacer that fit perfectly on the other side of the driver and hammer on that spacer to get the blown race out.

Not sure if it helped, but thats what I did. Its annoying as hell...
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:01:49 AM »
yeah ive got a dremel copy tool i was gonna try to cut it out with but its pretty shit, and bearing races are usually super heat treated and tough to minimise wear right?

i dont have a vice to clamp the driver in so its gonna be a pain in the arse. was hoping there was some sort of magic technique i didnt know about or hadnt thought of which would work

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:49:56 AM »
This thread has me all kinds of confused.

What driver is this? There is ONLY a needle roller in the drivers of all our aftermarket hubs, this problem simply shouldn't exist?!?!

Pictures?

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »
Maybe he's referring to a V2 driver

I recall someone doing this with a bar end

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
its from a mates hub, maybe a v3 odyssey? think he purchased it around 09

see how theres the race of the bearing that blew out sitting on the outside of the needle roller bearing. its a 9t driver, might have been one of the first to have the needle bearing in it if i remember correctly
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:24:13 AM by dude... »

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
Flat head/chisel/extension bar and a hammer. You need to smash the bearing race over enough to be able to wedge something inbetween the driver and race properly, and then it's just a case of hitting it to fuck.

Try soaking it in some automotive sprays to help free it off. There is no "easy way" haha.
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38:12 AM »
I'm not familiar with that driver, its probably a stock JoyTech one, definitely not my work, sorry. Realistically though, probably better just to buy a new driver, saves buying the bearings and all the fannying about and after 6 years or so it is probably a good idea to replace it anyway.... or just buy a new hub entirely... I realise that this is a bit of a shit answer and it would be cool to keep stuff running as long as possible by just replacing the smallest part possible, but compared to car spares or bits for a domestic boiler or whatever, this is nothing...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »
Well ok, in my ratchet it was the needle bearing itself that got stuck. In the KHE it was the bearing race after the bearings themselves fell out in pieces.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
its my mates old one-hyes quit riding but i need to get it running so he can ride again. ill take it down my local and wail on it with some tools i guess

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »
I'm not familiar with that driver, its probably a stock JoyTech one

Yeah it's one of those standard back-in-the-day 4pawl jobbies. The bearings did used to break a lot and i've ended up with about 5 of them but they are still good as far as design goes.
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
its a 3 pawl driver, i remember now my mate got it from jejames
got the bearing race out in the end with a dremel, some pliers, and a hammer. new bearing in there and its good to go once more. 6802s  ::)

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 04:39:46 AM »
If I were you I would take a close good look at the bearing shoulder that the innermost driver bearing butts up against when the conenut is done up. Normally Joytech axles have a slight radius that gets deformed from the wheel being done up tight or worse, a blown inner driver bearing. If so, sell your mate on an Ody female axle, which has a nice square edge that's kinder to/more tolerant of inner driver bearing inner races

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
If I were you I would take a close good look at the bearing shoulder that the innermost driver bearing butts up against when the conenut is done up. Normally Joytech axles have a slight radius that gets deformed from the wheel being done up tight or worse, a blown inner driver bearing. If so, sell your mate on an Ody female axle, which has a nice square edge that's kinder to/more tolerant of inner driver bearing inner races

Very happy someone noticed this.

G.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »
it should be ok for now, tbh i dunno if he will even ride it much anymore. going over to sydney in a week or so and as i still have his old bike at mine i figured id get it running so we could have a roll and so i could get it out of my shed.

the bearing race and shoulder looked fine when i had it apart, i know what you mean though, cos the aluminium tube spacers in the middle of odyssey hubs used to deform like that, and would cause bearings to die really quickly

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello