Multimedia

Author Topic: Keychain woes?  (Read 64614 times)

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Keychain woes?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
got a solid version on it's way to me

after reading a few things here I looked at getting a few spare masterlinks, 8 quid each? fuck off I've just spent 35

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »
My hollow pin Keychain is still going strong after a year and half (right when they first came out)

I use lots of pedal pressure and keep it TIGHT! And it is fully rusted out too, but runs smooth.

Twice I have had to retighten the pins on the master link but other than that it stays dialed.

Offline machete

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
I've had my hollow pin keychain for almost a year with no issues.When I first installed it,I used thread locker on the pins for the master link and have yet to experience any of the problems some have had.

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Maybe its a non hollow issue. I still like it just a little annoyed that I have the same issue guess ill have to buy some thread locker next time.

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
anyone sorted their noisey notchy horrible feeling chain?

my bsd halflink was like this, I ground down the inside tips of the chain plates so they didn't touch the driver, problem solved. can't figure out what the problem is with the keychain though as it's loads slimmer and doesn't rub.

to the eye it looks like the chain has a different pitch than the sprocket? I thought about comparing tooth profile but it looks like people with odyssey sprockets are having a problem as well

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »

my bsd halflink was like this, I ground down the inside tips of the chain plates so they didn't touch the driver, problem solved. can't figure out what the problem is with the keychain though as it's loads slimmer and doesn't rub.

to the eye it looks like the chain has a different pitch than the sprocket? I thought about comparing tooth profile but it looks like people with odyssey sprockets are having a problem as well

Have you tried adding some more lube? Most of the people I have heard with that issue have found lube sorts it.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2015, 11:11:32 AM »

Have you tried adding some more lube? Most of the people I have heard with that issue have found lube sorts it.

:)
G.

I may have to get some lube for mine as the chain squeakiness is the only noise my bike makes! But on the other hand, i'd like to think that the rust also keeps my cranks from moving as much...

Edit: still want to add that they keychain on a 16/9 drive train and TIGHT as you can get with lots of pedal pressure has been holding up FANTASTICALLY without a peep for 18 months now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:13:46 AM by metalbmxer »

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »

i figured it was a bad chainline for me, but yeah quite a few people have noted the pitch is off. lots of lube and some time to wear in worked for me, its smoother now
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
When I replace my current chain I'll see if my keychain is still longer than it

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »
straight chainline, loads of oil

lube made it a bit more quiet but it's near enough the same, can't see how it's gonna get better unless the chain stretches. will it even stretch being so thick? I don't wanna run my chain tight to find out and risk wearing my Q-lite driver out.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »
Seems like a bummer. Any positives outweighing your guys headaches?

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
hasnt broken yet
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline pegs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
chains still noisey as fuck, I've had to use the bmx a lot recently so plenty time to break it in. Oiled it up a few more times. then today one of the threaded pins sheared off in the plate. fuck this

feels like a really strong chain but not being able to fix it now on the spot when I need it is a load of shite

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
When I replace my current chain I'll see if my keychain is still longer than it

So, I bought a new Bluebird in readiness to replace my 510. The Bluebird at the same # of links is shorter than the 510. No surprise there. But the well-used 510 is shorter than the barely-used KeyChain I tried to rock. I'd like to send it back but I don't want to waste anyone's expense if this not a known issue. George, you have looked after me for the last decade when it comes to the odd part issue. I will not persue any warranty claim as you already spent your likely margins from me just on sorting me out. But you are most welcome to this particular specimen if you want me to send it to you

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
2 years now and mine is still fucken awesome

Had to apply a little loctite on the master link pin threads to keep them backing out over time but never once have had an issue with the chain coming apart or breaking

I'm running a 15/9 setup with the chain as tight as it will possibly go. It has been thoroughly rusted out, cleaned, and re-oiled over its life

Plus the ease of being to break it at the master link is 100% worth it if your wheel is slammed.
Makes getting your back wheel off oh-so-easy

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special