Multimedia

Author Topic: General election  (Read 59220 times)

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Re: General election
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »
When someone says conservative do you guys auto evoke a Thatcher state? I fucking dread when people insist on the glory days of Regan and American exceptionalism and conservatism.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »
I will be watching this thread to learn about UK politics... It's interesting to see how things are done over there. I do like the idea of forming a true coalition government who may actually represent more than one viewpoint.

I have no idea who I'd vote for next year. The GOP candidates are fucking morons and Clinton is a crooked bitch.

Backed 100%. I may just vote for Gary Johnson again to show my support for him, and not check a box for the democrat/republican establishment.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 01:29:52 AM »
Coalitions rarely express multiple viewpoints, it's just one side fucking the other with a giant strap-on for 3-4 years because they know they need the numbers in the senate/house.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »
Coalitions rarely express multiple viewpoints, it's just one side fucking the other with a giant strap-on for 3-4 years because they know they need the numbers in the senate/house.

Pretty much the same as the UK.

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 04:53:27 AM »
I haven't got a clue to vote for to be honest. I was thinking Labour or Green but really need to have a proper read of all the main policies of the parties I guess.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »
There is a policy comparison website, asks you a bunch of questions and tells you how much you line up with each party
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline thatotherguy84

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
I was wondering about this, I'm here in Liverpool right now and saw a few buildings with a bunch of huge banners talking about losing welfare and all sorts of things. Reminds me of when I was in Scotland right after the vote about independence happened.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
Pretty good summary really. We've been living with the conservatives, it's not been easy on the NHS and welfare like allah says,  but otherwise they've done a pretty good job in terms of cutting the deficit and supporting business.

Sorry my head just exploded, what fucking country have you been living in for the last 5 years?

They aimed to ELIMINATE the deficit by making massive swinging cuts. We got the cuts but we still have the deficit. The economy flatlined for the first 3 years of the coalition and they then thought ooops, and started spending some money to try to improve things by this election. The economy THEN started to recover a little (whilst the USA who had avoided the whole "austerity" bullshit were romping ahead economically (by comparison))... So the plan for their next term (if they get in) is to cut even harder and deeper... It didn't work last time and it wont EVER work.
The only economic lift we have now is based on property values and building work being rushed through while the relaxation of planning laws still holds (due to end soon).

How have they supported business? By putting VAT up to 20%? By offering a referendum on Europe that will make any company very nervous about investment until it is settled, and then what the fuck happens if the Faragists play up the immigration paranoia enough to actually make it happen?

As someone who lived through multiple Thatcher governments and multiple Blair governments I know which I would rather have more of. Sure they both got into stupid wars, but at least we had (some) genuine growth under Blair. Yet somehow the fucking tories always seem to be able to perpetuate this image of being "better" on the economy, and Labour just leave them to it?!?!?! It boggles my fucking mind.

Scrap a replacement for Trident, scrap HS2, and go for something really ambitious like high speed tube pod travel things and massive hydrogen airships. We sold the world railways, surely we are better off jumping ahead than just buying the last iteration of something we invented 200 years ago (off someone else) and instead selling the new thing to the world. We desperately need investment in innovations (like Graphene) rather than austerity and stagnation.. Not that any of the parties are offering this of course..

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 06:03:59 PM »
Sounds like a dead ringer for Tony "I-have-no-idea-how-to-run-a-country" Abbott. We've got the lowest interest rate we've ever had and the fucking Tory pricks still won't spend up on new projects! Better economic managers my fucking arse, they couldn't raffle a duck in a pub.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Bristow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »
Pretty good summary really. We've been living with the conservatives, it's not been easy on the NHS and welfare like allah says,  but otherwise they've done a pretty good job in terms of cutting the deficit and supporting business.

Sorry my head just exploded, what fucking country have you been living in for the last 5 years?

They aimed to ELIMINATE the deficit by making massive swinging cuts. We got the cuts but we still have the deficit. The economy flatlined for the first 3 years of the coalition and they then thought ooops, and started spending some money to try to improve things by this election. The economy THEN started to recover a little (whilst the USA who had avoided the whole "austerity" bullshit were romping ahead economically (by comparison))... So the plan for their next term (if they get in) is to cut even harder and deeper... It didn't work last time and it wont EVER work.
The only economic lift we have now is based on property values and building work being rushed through while the relaxation of planning laws still holds (due to end soon).

How have they supported business? By putting VAT up to 20%? By offering a referendum on Europe that will make any company very nervous about investment until it is settled, and then what the fuck happens if the Faragists play up the immigration paranoia enough to actually make it happen?

As someone who lived through multiple Thatcher governments and multiple Blair governments I know which I would rather have more of. Sure they both got into stupid wars, but at least we had (some) genuine growth under Blair. Yet somehow the fucking tories always seem to be able to perpetuate this image of being "better" on the economy, and Labour just leave them to it?!?!?! It boggles my fucking mind.

Scrap a replacement for Trident, scrap HS2, and go for something really ambitious like high speed tube pod travel things and massive hydrogen airships. We sold the world railways, surely we are better off jumping ahead than just buying the last iteration of something we invented 200 years ago (off someone else) and instead selling the new thing to the world. We desperately need investment in innovations (like Graphene) rather than austerity and stagnation.. Not that any of the parties are offering this of course..

G.

Thank fuck for G. What happened to the rest of you? Thought BG was full of cynical old gits.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything G stated, they (current government) haven't scratched the surface of the deficit, and if they were honest, they would say that there is no realistic chance of clearing the UK debt. My friend was injured and bed ridden a few years back, during this time he got so bored that he email the gov website regarding the deficit and how this is affected by the government cuts. What he got sent back was along the lines of 'it is impossible to clear debt, the austerity measures make no fucking difference'. He has scanned the letter, I'll post it some time, it makes for depressing reading.

The conservatives meanwhile are going around taking all sorts of credit for the UK growth, where in actual fact, this can be credited to a number of outside factors. I was listening to a conservative loving Times Uk podcast, even those guys admitted that the growths is more likely due to cheaper fuel prices (thanks to the Arabs), and growth that would naturally happen - there were other factors too, but I forget.

It's scary that idiotic people are listening the the parties and actually thinking that they will make any wholesale positive changes, they are all part of the same establishment, the changes are minuscule. After living through Labour, Conservative and Coalition governments my life has scarcely been affected by any, just stays the same, the only exception is the massive student loans of 9,000 a year.

If people want change, don't vote, if enough people do not vote the government would be forced to change their tact. I realise this will probably never happen, but what do people expect. You don't take down the premier league by switch clubs from Man City to Chelsea. If you still pay the tickets, you're contributing to the problem.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »

If people want change, don't vote, if enough people do not vote the government would be forced to change their tact. I realise this will probably never happen, but what do people expect. You don't take down the premier league by switch clubs from Man City to Chelsea. If you still pay the tickets, you're contributing to the problem.

If everyone didn't vote it might work, but they wont so it wont.

The only reasonable option is to vote AGAINST the worst plan, and that's the Tories. Currently you mostly need to vote Labour to stop this. If the SNP get a lot of the previously Labour seats then the Conservatives will still be the party with the most seats and will get first shot at forming a government. If they get LibDem support and UDP etc then they might just make it, and Scotland will have fucked us all over for the sake of what? What are the SNP even for anymore? They had their referendum and the Scots (very sensibly) said they didn't hate the English (and Welsh and Northern Irish) quite as much as they like to pretend and that leaving the UK wasn't worth fucking themselves over for... So what is the SNP's purpose now?.
Personally I would be very happy to have a Labour SNP coalition with no Trident replacement etc, but the Tories have done a cunning bit of propaganda to block that...

Please vote, and please vote AGAINST the Tories.

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
ETC.
Thank fuck for G. What happened to the rest of you? Thought BG was full of cynical old gits.
ETC.

I have no more to add apart from fuck UKIP, fuck David Cameron and thank fuck the BNP no longer exists as a statistic. I might just vote green party for a giggle.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:58:07 AM by RAILS! »
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
It's easier to persuade Tory voters that it's not worth voting than it is to persuade them to vote otherwise so that's my plan at the moment
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
Voting in the UK sounds very similar to canada. Usually it's just best to vote against the worst case scenario. I'd vote NDP if jack Layton hadn't passed away. Now I'm just hoping that Harper gets voted the fuck out at the next election.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Danno

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »
Well, I'm voting conservatives like usual.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special