Multimedia

Author Topic: The last Ride UK cover  (Read 19059 times)

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
Re: The last Ride UK cover
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
Mental.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 02:29:35 PM »
Bas Keeps is severely underrated always.

Offline medusa.cascade

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 05:00:53 AM »
Bas Keep is a hero.
As far as I'm concerned. Bas is BMX, always going fast always going high.

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »
I heard some binliner tried this and faceplanted  h a r d

anyone know about that?
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
What's a binliner?
I want video.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
That is arguably one of the best things I have ever seen on a bmx. Ride is discontinuing? Sad news, I still remember the first time I ever got an issue, my Nan bought it for me while I was in hospital with appendicitis.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Oddity

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 03:05:35 AM »
What's a binliner?
I want video.
Trashbag?/Scummer?

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
Binliner = inliner / fruitbooter

Offline Oddity

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »
So in other words I was right in my assumption. I didn't know people still rollerbladed and thought that they moved on to parkour.

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »
Saw him riding at my local (Vicky in east London) yesterday, definitely lived up to expectations. Method seemed to be: pootle around the bowl at a sedate pace, then from nowhere BAM! enormous air. 
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »

Illuminati

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
I just realised that G was the cover boy for issue  34. respect!
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 05:55:32 AM »
After leafing through the final Dirt (yes that's done as well), I let nostalgia get the better of me and got hold of a copy. It was disappointing to be honest, they'd obviously rushed it - I guess the decision to stop the print edition was quite sudden. Two decades of history had been reduced to a few badly written and atrociously edited articles about favourite pictures and covers.

I don't know whether any of you guys will even read this, and if you do I expect to be roundly mocked for being so earnest, but Ride really did change my life. I started reading when I was a naive 10 or 11 year old kid and it opened my eyes to travel, alternative lifestyles, overlooked areas of cities, and, of course, incredible feats on a bike. For better or worse I was (and still am really) horrendously middle class (I went to the cricket last night for heaven's sake) so BMX felt like something genuinely countercultural and thrilling to me. Alongside real life local riders this was because of the way it was portrayed by the magazine.

I still have a stack of copies at home from the early 2000s when Mark Noble was editor, Pill and Lard produced 90% of the content and Jeff Stewart occasionally contributed mammoth essays about roadtrips through forgotten parts of America. Often the best stuff hardly mentioned riding at all - thinking particularly of his trip with the Gonz and his pieces about Denver and Austin.

I don't think I'm looking at this through rose tinted glasses. I'm a words person, I've always read prolifically and now work with newspapers. In my opinion there was some real gold back then - there was a lot of dross as well but at least there weren't many spelling mistakes or grammar errors. If you want to be taken seriously as a magazine the basics like this are paramount. Someone, presumably Noble, had an English GCSE which is more than I can say for a lot of the recent editors and contributors. It felt like it was written by adults, for adults (although the censoring of f--k always amused me, especially as it appeared so frequently. I still pronounce this differently to fuck in my head). 

Of course, it was inevitable that it was going to stop at some point. I'm partly to blame - I stopped subscribing years ago, as the quality slid and the content became increasingly gimmicky to appeal to a generation of kids with short attention spans. For a while it looked like The Albion might take up the mantle as the publication of choice for more mature riders but of course this has gone now as well. (And really, as much respect as I have for Banners, Benson & co, those guys could benefit from some lessons about brevity. Hope I'm not being hypocritical here!).

Anyway, excuse my ramblings, it's just a shame that we no longer have a coherent, interesting and reasonably educated outlet to reflect our eccentric little subculture. RIP Ride, you had a good run.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:05:02 AM by Allah »
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
^^^ I know what you mean, but we have the internet now and the world is a very different place because of it.. Ride was important to kids then, and it is still important (at least as a memory) to those kids now we/they have grown up, but if we had had the internet (as it is now) back then then we wouldn't have given a shit either...

A thousand years ago, we just rooted around for food and hoped we didn't die, life just keeps getting faster, so by the time we are ready to be farmed off to an old people's home (for a guaranteed year of top quality care before being made into cheap pies) it will probably seem ridiculous...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special