Multimedia

Author Topic: is anyone still making 7075 stems?  (Read 17007 times)

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: is anyone still making 7075 stems?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 01:04:14 PM »

Tree may do their collet stem in 7075 (if they still make it?)

I heard a rumor that it was discontinued due to problems with the bolt holes stripping out... but don't know how much truth there is to that since it was just a rumor.

They still have them on their website, and they are currently on sale on their webstore, though. 
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
Stems are a pain.

With the high bars people run now it is asking a hell of a lot for any stem to clamp the bars properly without crushing the clamp area. If you use 7075 then the extra hardness (and its a lot) makes it harder for the knurling to bite in, so you need more pressure to get the same kind of grip... having said that, the extra strength means that a 7075 stem is less likely to slip IF you can get the tension just right so that it doesn't crush the bar and isn't too gentle so the bars slip and chew it out before you get that far. I think that 6061 is a "safer" bet for most riders and will get the necessary grip more easily without the rider going too far and crushing the bars.

Tree may do their collet stem in 7075 (if they still make it?)

SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON A LARGER CLAMPING ARE eg those guys from europe.

:)
G.

Offline TerribleAtreyu

• View Profile
    • www.thebridgebmx.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
The only stem cap that I ever end up cracking in half by just tightening it was made of 7075 Al. but I fuck with my bar angle a lot so that thing has definitely been through its cycles.
I ended up putting on an old 6061 Al. cap on which has easily seen more abuse, but that one only seems slightly bent/stretched.
I also noticed the bars slipping less often using the softer alloy stem cap.

A stronger 7075 body (to prevent breaking and pinching at the steerer tube) with a (perhaps replaceable) 6061 cap sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline slvtn

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 06:11:49 AM »
Thomson is 7000 series i believe.

It is. Clamping is superb, too. Had nothing but good experience with that thing.
I couldn\'t tell if she was wet or the pasta was just beyond al-dente.

Offline dersou ousala

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
only one answer : Challenger stem.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
The 6061 cap on the 7075 body seems like a good idea if your bars move
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
just wait for the eclat bars and stem with larger clamping area

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »

SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON A LARGER CLAMPING ARE eg those guys from europe.

I think its a good way to go if we are going to have these ridiculously big bars, but going up just an 1/8" seems hardly worth the hassle.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline erenes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »
I actually bent few 6061 stem bodies slightly and this is not a problem at all. I treat this like a wear / abuse. Bent is safe and will bend only a little.

I never had problems with bar slippage. instalation problem? / old bent bars / not degreased / not cleaned or bolts not checked. Or painted bars under the stem. I used many times mtb 6061 150-200g stems with M6 bolts even once M5. Those are 25.4 with shims to fit 22.2 bmx bars. Even with shims never slipped. Paired with 8-10" bars. I only fear snapped bolts (1 - then slipage or 2-4 then bars disconected which is scary). It happened to me many times even with M8 bolts (drilled ones like Alienation). Now im only using full plain M8 even in my street mtb. And M4 :) in suspension 27.5 bike

Im using look-like-a-brick stems, and like very wide designs (not like old Shadow) which looked like pussy comparing to my Solid OG Lite 6061. Maybe because of love for wide stems (+-50mm) I have no bars slippage problem. plus I dislike body cut designs like Coalition Povah/ old Shadow/ Aliention or designs with split front caps (then less clamping area). So I dont understand why everybody talks about stem area and bar slippage...?? Is this really that common issue? I never had it. I only saw some 13yo kids on Wallmart\Alibaba bmx bikes doing first bunnyhops then had crossbar hit Toptube cause nobody (them, parent, 7-11 sales never tightened stem bolts)..

Currently I use again Odyssey 6061 gold stem and run it upside down like a topload with Colony  Ten-acious bars. Not a single problem. Because proper LONG bolts with BIG bolt-heads are used. Even allen slot are deep not shallow like in some stems. This lead me to state my topic subject is not really right... (!!!) 7075 might help but my main issue is - new stems are not anymore OG bricks 320g. They use 6061 + less and less material, shorter and shorter bolts are my problem
Is I usually strip the handlebar bolts because in topload stems they are shorter and shorter thesedays. It happens without any overtigtening. And new stems work sometimes with only few threads lets say 5-7 instead of 10. Even with proper installation this feels weak.

Another problem I have is snapped plain M8 bolts. Sometimes I dont even know it just a noisy click. Then Two days later bar slippage or desintegration when the rest snaps...

But main problem is stripped threads in 6061 body and snapped bolts

Offline smalley

• B(g Veteran)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »
Bud stem will sort ya
SLOOT

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

-->