Multimedia

Author Topic: Odyssey Antigram vs G-Sport Simian front hub  (Read 13197 times)

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Odyssey Antigram vs G-Sport Simian front hub
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
It's time for new wheels, as I sold my old crusty wheels during my time off with ACL surgery. I've narrowed it down to these two options. I'm a heavy grinder sort, so I value them having good guards and both seem pretty quality overall. In the past I had marmoset hubs and they held up great. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

As for now it's these 2 though. It's only $10 difference so I don't really care about that. with only 1.5oz between them, that's not a big deal either. Naturally I wan tot go with the G-sport, since it's the modern marmoset, essentially. Is there any reason to go with the Odyssey, if money and weight are out the door? Does one's guards sit better by the hub or anything? Like the old knight marmoset guards were nice, but the vandero 2 guards from knight were spaced too far away and could hang up on stuff.

The G-sport has angled flanges. Could that be any sort of problem for cross laced rims?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:15:21 PM by bluebmx »

Offline MSBNL

• View Profile
Re: Odyssey Antigram vs G-Sport Simian front hub
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:07:49 AM »
The Antigram uses the same bearings that were used in the Vandero2, whereas the Simian uses the same bearings as the Marmoset. I remember quite a lot of people complaining about Vandero2 bearings, although I assume the large majority of the hubs are doing fine. Still I would go with the Simian personally. Are you going for a Antigram rear wheel? Because that would tip my vote to the Antigram because matching wheels :) 
I can't imagine the angled flanges will cause problems with cross lacing seeing as the Gsport Ribcage rims are designed specifically with cross lacing in mind. I have ribcage - marmoset front wheels on 2 bikes and they're tits!

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
The Antigram uses the same bearings that were used in the Vandero2, whereas the Simian uses the same bearings as the Marmoset. I remember quite a lot of people complaining about Vandero2 bearings, although I assume the large majority of the hubs are doing fine. Still I would go with the Simian personally.

Good to know. Yet another reason for the G-sport!

Are you going for a Antigram rear wheel? Because that would tip my vote to the Antigram because matching wheels :) 

It's in the running, but I can get a good discount from another brand, so I'll probably go that way.

I can't imagine the angled flanges will cause problems with cross lacing seeing as the Gsport Ribcage rims are designed specifically with cross lacing in mind. I have ribcage - marmoset front wheels on 2 bikes and they're tits!
I don't think I knew that the Marmy had the same angled flanges. Thanks!

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
The Antigram uses the same bearings that were used in the Vandero2, whereas the Simian uses the same bearings as the Marmoset. I remember quite a lot of people complaining about Vandero2 bearings, although I assume the large majority of the hubs are doing fine.

From my somewhat limited experience with Vandero 2 hubs, it wasnt the bearings that sucked so much as the axles. The shoulders would get crushed in, destroying bearings.

Offline Funtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
Id vote Simian too.  Bigger bearing, bigger axle, thick flanges and the slight angle should make cross lacing better/less spoke kink...?

Have had a Monkey hub for quite a while.  I'm no shredder, but learned smiths on it..never an issue.  You had Marmosets, so you know.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
Gsport if you anticipate being hard on your front wheel/axle

Otherwise Antigram is lighter

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »
Antigrams and Simians and the New clutch hub all have angled flanges. All wheels have angled spokes so angled flanges are better. If you cross-lace then ideally you want them even more angled, not straight...

I hope this helps.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Antigrams and Simians and the New clutch hub all have angled flanges. All wheels have angled spokes so angled flanges are better. If you cross-lace then ideally you want them even more angled, not straight...

I hope this helps.

:)
G.
That makes sense. I just thought it may have been some angle optimized for a traditional lacing pattern etc... figured it was worth checking.
Sounds like I'll be placing an order for a Simian this week... Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:27:27 PM by bluebmx »

Offline monteryroom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »
I nwas looking into the difference between marmoset, and simian. seems simian has better hub guard option if that's an issue.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
I nwas looking into the difference between marmoset, and simian. seems simian has better hub guard option if that's an issue.

It certainly is an issue, as I really wish there was a 4130 guard option... but that's not happening so now a baby marmy is on it's way to me! Before anyone says "Get a Daily Grind hub, they have steel guards" I did have one, and it was cool until the bearings were absolutely worthless after only about a month of riding.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »

It certainly is an issue, as I really wish there was a 4130 guard option... but that's not happening so now a baby marmy is on it's way to me! Before anyone says "Get a Daily Grind hub, they have steel guards" I did have one, and it was cool until the bearings were absolutely worthless after only about a month of riding.

on which hub? The marmoset?

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »

I was wishing that the Simian (or baby marmy as I referred to it because I was unsure of the spelling of the Simian hub name) would have 4130 guards.
The bearings on my Daily Grind hub blew up in about a month.
Hope that clears it up.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »

I was wishing that the Simian (or baby marmy as I referred to it because I was unsure of the spelling of the Simian hub name) would have 4130 guards.
The bearings on my Daily Grind hub blew up in about a month.
Hope that clears it up.

Certainly does, I;ve had my marmy for like 5 years now without issue. I usually ride pegs and use knight hub guards.

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
Certainly does, I;ve had my marmy for like 5 years now without issue. I usually ride pegs and use knight hub guards.

Yeah I had a marmoset for a looooong time and only ditched it because I found a hub that had steel guards (Daily Grind). Poor decision on my part. I had Knight guards on it and it made the hub spin poorly sometimes, but I knew it was most likely the guards fault and not the bearings/hub on the marmoset.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special