Multimedia

Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread V2.0  (Read 31199 times)

Offline Aesop Rock

• O.G. Member
  • Helve
    • View Profile
    • http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com
Motorcycle Thread V2.0
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
So, my shit got hit last week and I'm hating life waiting for insurance to come through. Not sure if it's a total loss or not, but based on the fact that it's 40 years old and was a two year bike I'm guessing that they're gonna write it off. Now my next big decision to make is what to get next. I keep going back and forth between these two.

[/URL]

or

Radically different bikes, each with their own pros and cons. Thoughts gents? Also, lolz

http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Thread V2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
Ducati all the way, especially if you buy used. If you don't like it you can make your money back easily.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
Out of those two Ducati. I wouldn't even consider a fricking Harley. But obviously depends what you want to do with it. If I lived in the US I would want a 400-700cc Dual Sport, the idea of exploring huge areas of off-road wilderness sounds amazing to me.

In the UK its different, we dont have any significant off-road opportunities like that and the bike test itself is a huge hassle. I have been riding on a very restricted licence for the last 2 years which limits me to a 125, about to do the full test which consists of:-

1. CBT, one (soon to be two) day of training to make sure you can ride, this lets you ride a 125 with L plates.
2. Theory test (50 multiple choice questions), followed by video hazard perception test. (about $50) (booked for next week)
3. Module 1 Test. Carried out on a closed practice ground. (about $30 for the actual test, but you typically need a couple of days practice and bike rental so about another $400-$600)
4. Module 2 Test. Carried out on public streets. (about $120 for the test itself but as above for practice and bike so another $400-600)

Likely to be well over $1000 all in...

All this is even though I have been driving a car for 20 plus years...

:(
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »

Offline powell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »
I currently have several sportsters sitting in my garage and actually just sold a 2011 monster 1100 on Monday. For everyday riding i'd pick the sportster every time, its less finicky, starts every time and was significantly more comfortable. Though (obviously) the monster was a much more capable machine it wasn't as nice to ride. They are loud (Dry clutch chatter), hard to comfortably ride around town (they want to be ridden hard) no ,where near as reliable and the service is very expensive and requires special tools to do. Unless you really plan to ride it hard a ton, id buy a sportster ,thruxton, newer Bonneville or a new cb1100 if your looking for something in a retro cruiser styling. If your considering the ducati seriously be cafeful of what years you look at they have some fucky issues, and id only buy one with full service records.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 04:46:17 AM »
Can any of you guys tell me exactly what I'm looking at here? Year/model ect. Found in an abandoned dealership here in France.

https://instagram.com/p/1P-GILASob/

Edit: might be a T120r. No idea about the year
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:56:25 AM by hugh. »

Offline Louis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »
Put on Progressive 11" 412 shocks. Had to knock out the old bushings for the updated ones, & it rides much better now. 3/4" lower

So, my shit got hit last week and I'm hating life waiting for insurance to come through. Not sure if it's a total loss or not, but based on the fact that it's 40 years old and was a two year bike I'm guessing that they're gonna write it off. Now my next big decision to make is what to get next. I keep going back and forth between these two.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd167/shopson1984/Ducati/DSC_0151.jpg

or

Radically different bikes, each with their own pros and cons. Thoughts gents?

What year Sportster is that? Is 2003 the last year for solid motor mounts? Rubbermounts are longer and heavier.. afaik.

This thing is awesome;

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:24:59 PM by Louis »

Offline Aesop Rock

• O.G. Member
  • Helve
    • View Profile
    • http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
Pretty sure the one I posted is 2008. Found a '97 883 for $3300 in my hood, kinda stoked on that idea as it only has like 12k on the clock. Really into the idea of making a scrambler-esq sporty, cutting weight wherever I can and running the shit out of the thing. We'll see what happens with insurance though. Still waiting on them to cut me a fuckin check...

Offline bouncehouse420

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »
i want another sportster to tracker out but ill probably end up with a 650 dualsport. i dont think youd be un happy on a sporty. if you think youd like to have a 1200 at some point i would just buy one from the get go. theres a lot more cool bolt on stuff available for the 03 and down bikes. 04 and up are a little bigger/heavier and rubber mounted so theyre going to be a little more comfy. if you can get an S or R model i would they come with better brakes and suspension and a little more power.

Offline mattywatty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »
My first motorcycle was actually a 2008 Ducati Monster 696. Fun bike for sure, and it definitely got me fully obsessed with motorcycles.

Here's these deal with slightly older (pre 2013) Ducatis:

If you are a hobbyist mechanic that is not only capable of doing your own maintenance, but enjoys it, get a Ducati by all means. Fun bikes with a ton of soul that are very quirky. They need lots of maintenance. More specifically, they need their valves checked  frequently, and they need their belts changed  at certain mileage intervals, in addition to all the other regular motorcycle maintenance that all bikes need. If you're mechanically inclined, you could probably do this stuff yourself. If not, then be prepared to spend a lot of money at the local Ducati dealership.

I am not mechanically inclined at all and spent way too much in service fees on my Ducati during the 7 months that I owned it.

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
Dropping off the XR400 rear wheel today to get new spokes installed. I'm a decent wheel builder for bikes, but motos are a completely different job.

Then I just need to dial in the suspension, and I can go shred some trails.

Offline bouncehouse420

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
Made myself some hard saddlebags frome some cheap toolboxes.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
the stoke is high on then hard bags!

Offline LowKey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
Buy a Buell, it's everything you want between the two of those. XB12's are reliable, plenty of power and torque, and handle amazing! Full adjustable compression/rebound Showa suspension stock, about 4k to 5k for one in good shape. If you want a tube frame there is also the S1 model as well, very similar to the Ducati you posted. Maintenance is dead easy on them and they run hydraulic lifters on the XB's.

Offline bouncehouse420

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
the stoke is high on then hard bags!

Thanks dude glad I don't have to wear a backpack anymore.

Buy a Buell, it's everything you want between the two of those. XB12's are reliable, plenty of power and torque, and handle amazing! Full adjustable compression/rebound Showa suspension stock, about 4k to 5k for one in good shape. If you want a tube frame there is also the S1 model as well, very similar to the Ducati you posted. Maintenance is dead easy on them and they run hydraulic lifters on the XB's.
The xl1200s is basically a buell with a comfortable riding position.

Heres a pic from my ride home from work this morning
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:39:19 AM by bouncehouse420 »

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special