Multimedia

Author Topic: A question to frame vendors/repair shops regarding Standard bykes custom  (Read 38212 times)

Offline TpeHep

• View Profile
Re: A question to frame vendors/repair shops regarding Standard bykes custom
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »
So.. if you excuse me for raising this bit old topic to keep things fair - a new replacement frame from Standard has arrived last week,
taking a total of 11 months to receive - I've made an order around October 2014. Never got any explanation or detail on the issue from SBC. Anyway, replacement frame appears to be done properly this time and doesn't show any signs of misalignment anywhere.

Only thing i could find is that one of the dropouts was somewhat bent to inside (towards hub axle center), enough for axle not to fit - while this is not an issue anymore, as I've bent it back using a wrench - it suggests dropouts are not heat treated there, if anyone cares.

Frame looks great now, but I'm not sure if i will have enough nerve to get something else from Standard :)

P.S.
Additional expenses for two return shipments and paying customs tax three times are about 250$, which is somewhat tolerable.
One might expect to get at least some extra sticker, which is not the case though..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:33:25 PM by TpeHep »

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
Re: A question to frame vendors/repair shops regarding Standard bykes custom
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 04:37:22 AM »
Post some pics of the build
Hangovers and trains

Offline TpeHep

• View Profile

Took a while, here is.. custom Standard frame / fork (21.25" TT), 180mm SS cranks with GDH spindle, Solid needle HS, 48H G-Sport wheels, 30/10 gearing, ~ 26.5 lbs / 12kg
* Frame has USA BB to allow 60/22 bearing (22x44x12mm)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:43:28 PM by TpeHep »

Offline theboredbmxer

• View Profile
You have a lot more patience than I do, 3 times smh.

On a side note, did the ss arms seem any kind of loose on the gdh spindle? I noticed they sell them with it, but thought the ss spindle was slightly larger than 22mm.
R.I.P. Oz

Offline dude...

• View Profile
damn thats hot. ive heard several horror stories about standard in the last few years, but i still need an STA
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline TpeHep

• View Profile
You have a lot more patience than I do, 3 times smh.

On a side note, did the ss arms seem any kind of loose on the gdh spindle? I noticed they sell them with it, but thought the ss spindle was slightly larger than 22mm.

You are right, ss spindle is 7/8" which is ~22.22mm. While Profile suggests they fit fine, I think it's more about rust on ss arms making it seem a good fit. I could install cranks with bare hands, with a couple of mid-strength hits near end. Installation tool is still included with package (and even sprocket bolt this time). It appears that new alloy cone spacers are doing their job well, as I didn't feel any flex I was kind of expecting while riding.

As I was aware of sizing issue, I have initially planned to install this crankset using polymere adhesive - which is, by design, best applied to 'gaps' of about 0.1 mm between metal parts, and thus works good with worn cranks. This crankset, in contrast, appears to be almost like specifically made for adhesive install. I'll give it a week or two and then glue it in for good.

I've used adhesive on cranks before - nothing flexes or squeaks, very solid feel. I've removed bolts a while after install, and during few years of riding nothing
has moved at all, never had to put bolts back. Cranks are still on that frame, actually, along with sprocket :)
Obviously, one does not simply remove cranks in such scenario - heating to ~100C is required for disassembly (there are also permanent adhesives, watch out).

It's very likely that same effect is achieved by just getting thunderbolt cranks (then you also don't need to make a 15$ custom press-fit sprocket spacer for even chain tension). But, that's too easy and new thunderbolts don't fit into this mid-school concept :)

As for frame, it feels great, it's indeed a shame Standard messes up while being able to do great stuff. I still had to do some work with a file..
Frame appears to be symmetric this time, though I didn't take a very good look yet :) Dropouts, if anything, could be better, otherwise it's pretty much perfect.
Time will show if can hold together as well as it looks.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello