Multimedia

Author Topic: acid-etching a screenprinted sprocket?  (Read 5781 times)

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
acid-etching a screenprinted sprocket?
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:42 AM »
I saw this a few months ago...

Acid Etching Custom Head Badges

...I was chatting with a friend and our conversation migrated over to PC board etching. PC board etching has been around for awhile (I’ve etched boards well over 20 years ago) and widely practiced by electronics hobbyists. I then did some research and found examples of people using modern day etching chemicals (muriatic acid) to etch aluminum. That’s how I was going to do it…

...I printed a sheet of my images onto the slick backing using a laser printer set to print on “overhead” sheets...

... I cut out an image and placed it over the badge (toner side towards the badge) and then taped it (using painters tape) on the back...

...The idea is to heat up the aluminum so the toner will dislodge from the paper and adhere to the aluminum...

...The basic ingredients you’ll need are 31% muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid), 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda (to neutralize the acid when done). Protective gear... You’ll also need a measuring cup and bowl for the etchant...

So I got a blue shadow serpent sprocket, planning to scrape off all the text and the stuff around the sprocket bolt, etching just the snake...

but i've been sitting on it for over a month now because I really don't feel like trying to find muriatic acid... I just want to use some oven cleaner spray, or at the most a citric acid powder bath, but I don't know if those things will melt the screen printing off before eating the ano/aluminum...

Anyone have experience with stripping ano off of screenprinted parts?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:07:43 AM by alaskun »

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
Re: acid-etching a screenprinted sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »
I've been using this method to make headtube badges for a few months now:

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
Oh, and muriatic acid is super common at home improvement stores. I think it's used for cleaning concrete or something. I got mine at Ace Hardware.

I've used oven cleaner to strip ano off of tons of parts, and I want to say that the screenprinted logos always remain.

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
did you make this one? I've had the picture saved but lost where it came from...

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
No, I had that one made by some dude in Puerto Rico. I am assuming he acid etched it, but he must have a much more official method.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello