Multimedia

Author Topic: New Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 435035 times)

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
Texas is flooding

I need to build an ark

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »

Mastodon. I learnt Crack The Skye the other day and it's so fun to play.

Drop A, no wayyyyyyy. It does sound good, but not the style I am looking for. I want some sweet sounding tunes, gotta make this baby sing! Slut, drop ya panties because this guitar just made you cry.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Danno

« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
I've reached the point where I feel bored of riding BMX, or at least riding the stuff near to my place.

Exactly a month ago I ate shit at the trails at Rubens park in Spain and flew home early because I couldn't even cruise to the shop. I've managed to ride three times in the last week now that my ankles finally started to heal and it all just feels stale as fuck. This is shit.

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
often though about this , but what if no one else really exists what if im the only person who is actually real and everything else is some kind of illusion my mind has made up?

could be true  :o

Fucking existentialist right there, but your about 400 years late. Descartes would be proud though, its where 'I think therefore I am' comes from.

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
often though about this , but what if no one else really exists what if im the only person who is actually real and everything else is some kind of illusion my mind has made up?

Then really it doesn't matter either way if the difference is imperceptible. I appreciate that this wouldn't help you, but I know your belief about your own mind is untrue, even if you don't. I know my mind exists, so I can conclude that your mind can't be the only thing in existence.

The endurance of solipsism is a perfect example of how people can get stuck on the outcome of a logical argument, even when the conclusion is relatively absurd. I feel quite happy to disregard the idea on the simple basis that there are many things in the world that I don't understand at all. If the only thing I can verify the existence of is my own thoughts, then I struggle to see how I could think up things that no amount of those same thoughts can actually comprehend. The only way for that to be possible would be if there was a duality of mind/another strata of thought. Using solipsistic reasoning, there's equally no reason to believe in the other strata of thought, as there's no way to comprehensively verify it. It's always struck me as quite self-defeating.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:55:04 PM by Liam »

Offline Alex.

• usually drunk.
  • Global Moderator
  • 3 knucks deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
Butts go poop.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »

Then really it doesn't matter either way if the difference is imperceptible. I appreciate that this wouldn't help you, but I know your belief about your own mind is untrue, even if you don't. I know my mind exists, so I can conclude that your mind can't be the only thing in existence.

The endurance of solipsism is a perfect example of how people can get stuck on the outcome of a logical argument, even when the conclusion is relatively absurd. I feel quite happy to disregard the idea on the simple basis that there are many things in the world that I don't understand at all. If the only thing I can verify the existence of is my own thoughts, then I struggle to see how I could think up things that no amount of those same thoughts can actually comprehend. The only way for that to be possible would be if there was a duality of mind/another strata of thought. Using solipsistic reasoning, there's equally no reason to believe in the other strata of thought, as there's no way to comprehensively verify it. It's always struck me as quite self-defeating.

I do see what your saying, but it has always struck me when reading Descarts meditations is that he does not specifically care about the outcome, it is more of a line of thinking, in his first mediation he doubts everything around him, including himself, and then finally coming to the conclusion that we must exist, because of these very thoughts. I think the outcome of this thinking is neither here nor there for him, rather just the logical conclusion of his previous work. Regarding Soplipsim in general, I have always liked Bertrand Russel's view in that why would the Soliphsist every try to convince anyone else of their argument, since it does not matter if you are the only person to exist. It has always seemed to me as a moot point in philosophy with people who argue for it being answered with a 'so what?' at the logical conclusion of their argument.

To play the devils advocate regarding your idea of 'strata thought', if you start from the position of the Sophalist, who believes only his mind exists, these things which cannot be conjured up by your own mind must point to another being rather than disproving it.

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »
To play the devils advocate regarding your idea of 'strata thought', if you start from the position of the Sophalist, who believes only his mind exists, these things which cannot be conjured up by your own mind must point to another being rather than disproving it.

You've either just rephrased my point, or  I don't understand what you're getting at here. The pointing to another being is the collapse of the solipsistic position. I'm no expert on philosophy, but I wouldn't consider Descartes to be working within the same frame as the solipsist, even if there are parallels in some of their conclusions. Descartes was working on the basis that there is a truth to an external reality, and how exactly one would go about proving it. The solipsist jumps on that train of thought and slams the brakes on.

Offline LukeTom

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »

You've either just rephrased my point, or  I don't understand what you're getting at here. The pointing to another being is the collapse of the solipsistic position. I'm no expert on philosophy, but I wouldn't consider Descartes to be working within the same frame as the solipsist, even if there are parallels in some of their conclusions. Descartes was working on the basis that there is a truth to an external reality, and how exactly one would go about proving it. The solipsist jumps on that train of thought and slams the brakes on.

Yes, your right. It has been a while since I studied philosophy, confused between solipsism and Descarts.

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Why does potato stay so hot?

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
A friend of mine posted a picture of a tarantula he encountered in Costa Rica. That led me on an hour long read into tarantulas. What I learned: they're scarier than they are dangerous. I need to be more worried about banana spiders.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
You canucks gets da black widowz?

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »
Yes, we also have a couple rattle snakes and scorpions.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Boo-fucking-hoo hahahaha.

Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 27, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
The only thing in Australia not trying to kill you are volcanos.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #284 on: May 27, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello