Multimedia

Author Topic: Fixed gear bikes/ Post your big bikes V2  (Read 358912 times)

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed gear bikes/ Post your big bikes V2
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
4000s are great but Vittoria are even better. Gumwall too for bonus sexiness. Mavics are solid but a bit old fashioned by today's standards, all about width nowadays, they've always had really narrow rims. New models might be better though, not looked into those.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 05, 2016, 12:15:46 PM »
I like the idea of those bottle cages but yeah seems like it could be a faff on the road.

You deffo need some nice tyres on there, some 25mm Vittoria Corsas or something, will be night and day.

Should be out on it tomorrow if I slow down on the cider so will find out.

How are the Corsas? Most the lads at work are on GP4000's and I was going to put some of those on for summer. The only thing I really want to do now is change the wheels but I'm fussy on the way they look so everything's leading to Mavics with Exalith rims.

Mavic are shit. Avoid. Conti tires are fine, not very inspiring though. Get something more fun, Challenge, Vittoria etc.

Offline BonerhasBent

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 07, 2016, 01:17:19 AM »
New Mavic wheels are pretty damn nice! They have new up to date widths and they look pretty proper!

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 07, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »

FYI, Cannondale is quite adamant about setting up your spacer stack so that there are NO spacers on top of the stem. that is how the SI headsets were designed. I know it sounds counter-intuitive.

see page 99- http://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Dorel/Cannondale/Common/Support/ROAD%20OWNER%20MANUALS/CANNONDALE%20OWNERS%20MANUALS/131264_Cannondale_OM_042315_WEB.ashx

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 07, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »

Roadie mode

My bars are at the wrong angle though, need to be tilted forward slightly and levers pulled up a bit
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:20:50 PM by Kinchy »
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
Think I'm going to put MTB cranks on it with 48/30 chainrings. Seeing as I'm running a 135mm hub surely I should also be running a 73mm BB?
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Brooklynrider

« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
Is that a warbird? Can't make out the name on the toptube.

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 09, 2016, 12:12:36 PM »
Yeah Salsa Warbird, think it's a 2013 or 2014 model. Photo is shoddy quality, but ENVE forks, Stan's Grails on Shimano CX75 hubs, Shimano CX77 brakes, SRAM Rival 10 speed, Time ATACs, Vredenstein tires for road, Panaracer Cindercross for offroad. It's an amazing do it all bike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:21:03 PM by Kinchy »

Brooklynrider

« Reply #533 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
Yeah Salsa Warbird, think it's a 2013 or 2014 model. Photo is shoddy quality, but ENVE forks, Stan's Grails on Shimano CX75 hubs, Shimano CX77 brakes, SRAM Rival 10 speed, Time ATACs, Vredenstein tires for road, Panaracer Cindercross for offroad. It's an amazing do it all bike
That is very similar to the way I have my Salsa set up. I sold all my spare parts and bikes to build a bike that can do it all. This is my touring/slow road bike:

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »
Brooklynrider, how are you getting on with Spyres and Sram levers? All I can find on the internet is speculation and people who think the stock pads are shitty. Is the lever pull decent? I don't like the lever coming all the way to the bars. Also how's the C17?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:03:34 AM by Finn the Human »

Brooklynrider

« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
Brooklynrider, how are you getting on with Spyres and Sram levers? All I can find on the internet is speculation and people who think the stock pads are shitty. Is the lever pull decent? I don't like the lever coming all the way to the bars. Also how's the C17?
Spyres have been awesome. Coming from BB7s, these feel a lot stiffer and can be set a LOT closer to the rotor. I can get the lever to have about 5mm of pull before it fully engages. Stock pads are shitty (at least compared to the BB7s) but do the job. The only real problem I've had with spyres is that they are very wide. I was running some older DT 240 hubs before and the caliper kept hitting the spokes. Im on Chris King hubs now and they are still very close but do not hit. You can easily fix the problem with some rotor shims but it was a bit of a pain to get them set up at first. C17 is great. I also own a B17 and prefer the cambium. I have very wide sit bones and I've been through a lot of seats but the cambium is the only one I can ride for a long time. This particular one made it through Africa with me.

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
I have Spyres and Apex levers with full plain Jagwire housing. The pads are noisy, especially when wet, but they work fine on dirt, gravel, mtb trails, and roads. I am going to put linear housing on when I get around to replacing this and probably Shimano pads.

Brooklynrider

« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:43 PM »
I have Spyres and Apex levers with full plain Jagwire housing. The pads are noisy, especially when wet, but they work fine on dirt, gravel, mtb trails, and roads. I am going to put linear housing on when I get around to replacing this and probably Shimano pads.
Wow, that is a game changer. Was completely unaware that it can take shimano pads. And yes, compressionless housing is a must. The Odyssey stuff is real good but a bit pricy.

Offline jonathan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 11, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
Regular housing has been working fine but I am going to put Jagwire Mtn Pro housing on it when the time comes.

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
This is all good to hear. I'm running Odyssey housing with shimano inners with bb5's and apex levers. The housing made a massive difference. Recently switched to superstar organic pads and they're not really an improvement from stock. They howl like a banshee in the wet as well. The best I can get the levers is so at the shift paddle, the lever moves about  1cm before pads touch the disc.

Are your spyres better than this?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello