Multimedia

Author Topic: Death penalty (re; Bali 9 executions)  (Read 27660 times)

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death penalty (re; Bali 9 executions)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »
You can't think about the death penalty from an emotional standpoint.

To me it seems like a pretty medieval form of punishment and in a modern society the criminal justice system should be based on prevention, correction, and rehabilitation and not on punishment. Then in the cases of pedophiles, psychopaths, etc., those are people who are a danger to society and need to be removed from it and put in prisons but I still think that none of us individually or collectively have the right to decide to end someone's existence. It's also worth adding that the exception to all this is war crimes and war criminals.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
I lived in Singapore which boarders Indonesia for a while. They have the same laws and basically no drugs or druggies exist in Singapore.

Say what you want about the death penalty but in this case I would say it works, the country is virtually drug-free. How many are prepared to die over doing drugs or smuggling them?

Bull-fucking-shit. Indonesia is riddled with drugs, you can buy smack in the prison that these guys are housed in. Plenty of people are still willing to smuggle, rape, murder and be an all-round cunt even thought the death penalty exists. The death penalty is a useless deterrent for crime.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline LeonLikesToRock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:03:22 AM »
Everyone knows the death penalty exists over there, so why would you do it? I wouldn't kill them for it, but if I had a law that said I would and some stuck up foreign cunts decided they were above it and that their lives were worth more than local lives I might change my mind. I think it is OK for them to get killed. I would have no issue with Corby copping it either. I'm usually a lefty and used to be against the death penalty but I really don't get the sympathy for the kind of people you already don't want in society. Another Australian heroin trafficker died a few years back in Singapore (I think) and there was a fucking candle light vigil for the cunt in a few major cities. Never seen someone stoked to see a heroin deal go down in front of their house (with the exception of junkies), but apparently a lot of people love the guys a few steps up. I like China's death penalty. Firing squad and then the family has to pay for the bullets. It just makes more sense than an injection.

It's their law. I don't think Indonesia should back down to Abbot. I certainly wouldn't want us to change our laws for them.
Hangovers and trains

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 03:12:14 AM »

Bull-fucking-shit. Indonesia is riddled with drugs

Well yeah, Indonesia. I meant Singapore, but then again it is by far easier to control the borders of a tiny first world city-state than a third-world country that is one of the biggest in the world. I have seen drugs in Indonesia too, but not in the muslim part.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that putting your nose in someone else´s justice system is bad, countries can have messed up laws. But drug trafficing is not completely off the hook to have a death penalty for, and since many drug trafficers are foreigners its not completely off the hook to execute these guys in their legal sense.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline ABCD

• <3 ROLLIN\' DEEP BRUV
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:34:18 AM »
If a single innocent person is killed mistakenly then the death penalty is unworkable. You can't bring them back from that. It's barbaric and doesn't even help as a deterrent.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »
What makes everyone say it doesnt help as a deterrent.

I am quite the law-abiding citizen, I just jaywalk alot. If they would implement the death sentence as punishment for jaywalking I will be sure to stop doing it...
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »
What makes everyone say it doesnt help as a deterrent.

I am quite the law-abiding citizen, I just jaywalk alot. If they would implement the death sentence as punishment for jaywalking I will be sure to stop doing it...

All the people that commit crimes that (legally) warrant the death penalty show that it's not enough of a deterrent.

That's a shit analogy. How often do you jaywalk in a fit of rage, or in an extreme case of desperation or panic? Do you jaywalk because you're mentally unstable, either from a chemical imbalance in your brain, or from some sort of psychological trauma?

Killing someone is widely considered to be the number one crime. I don't know how you're supposed to have any faith in a legal system that legally sanctions and commits that very same act. 

Putting someone to death serves no purpose whatsoever. Outside of revenge, there's no gain from it and no legal system in the present day is based on "an eye for eye" type thinking because it's both childish and barbaric when taken to its ultimate conclusion. And what if someone is later to be found not guilty, having already been put to death? Try the legal system for murder? They would have committed the most serious crime against an innocent member of their own society. Who then is culpable?

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
You don't go into someone else's house and tell them how to live. The guy broke the law and I'm sure he knew the penalty for it. There's only a fuss cause he's not from that country, if he were, no one would care.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »
There's only a fuss cause he's a white anglophone.

Fixed.

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
They're actually not white.

JFax, worst analogy ever.

When it comes to the death penalty, I think it says a lot when redneck Aussies who are so far away from the issue to be almost advocating for the execution when pedo cunts and murders get out of jail in less time than these two lads in Indonesia have been locked up for. This execution has been 10 years in the making, they're rehabilitated from what everyone is saying and the hypocrisy around the whole issue from Indonesia is beyond belief. I still think they're going to go ahead with it, purely so they can laugh in Abbott's face.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Wouldn't be at all surprised that Abbott cemented their fate just by opening his downy fucking tucker slot. He's that obnoxious

Offline master

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
I do agree that the death penalty is not a deterrent, as the people who rape/murder/etc either don't care about the consequences or aren't coherent enough to realize them.

I also agree that someone mistakenly being put to death nullifies the benefits that the punishment may have on society.

BUT... what's the alternative? Life in prison? Rehabilitation has proven not to work for most cases. There are, without a doubt, some people who do not belong in our society.

We need a damn prison planet to send them to.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 06:28:35 AM »
Im not pro death penalty and realize that my analogy is silly. But drug trafficing and rape/murder is also vastly different. You dont traffic drugs due to a fit of rage or mental instability. You either think you can get away with anything, in a mob or being pushed into it.

I believe they should get lengthy prison sentances. 10 years they got already is long enough. I have unfortunately not read up on the details of the case. If it was some kind of drug tradficing syndicate they should of course be punished by suitable means. If they just had trafficed some for own consumption I think my analogy isnt too far out. It doesnt really hurt anyone else, you dont do it because you are super unstable and should thus be quite the detterant
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:42:45 AM by JFax »

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »
They're actually not white.

5 of the 9 are.

But it's not really a topic of white vs. any other race. It's about whether any country has the authority to have say over what another country does, what makes it acceptable that Western countries are allowed to impose their ideas over the rule of any other?

It's the equivalent of Muslims going crazy because some guy in France drew Muhammad. To them that's law. They broke it and they deserved the punishment cause their ideas of law are above everyone else. I'm not equating one to the other but if democracy truly is the best system to govern a region then let the people come to that conclusion by themselves, not let it be dictated by a bunch of outsiders who feel they know best for them.

There is a thought that a lot of immigrants hold which is that the Western world's hands aren't clean so who are they to pass judgement on another for their problems.

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Fuck that, if the majority thinks the minority ethnicity should be cleansed of the earth, standing by to let them govern themselves is bullshit.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello