Multimedia

Author Topic: New glands  (Read 18357 times)

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: New glands
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »
Plastic pegs+plastic hubgaurds slide way better than chromo pegs and guards in my experience. I don't know what kind of sticky plastic guards you've tried there laz....

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
Plastic pegs+plastic hubgaurds slide way better than chromo pegs and guards in my experience. I don't know what kind of sticky plastic guards you've tried there laz....

G-Sport and BSD..

I could never ride plastic pegs consistantly, the two that I've had were nearly fucked after less than a week.
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
i've always found riding a gland to be the best grinding. These new ones look aetshecially pleasing i'll probably get some.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »

it would also create an immense point of leverage on the axle/bearing race. imagine this slip-on collar rigid guard as the horizontal blue bar in this:

the red arrow is the impact applied to the guard when you smack your bike onto a rail for a grind, whereas the triangle pivot is the contact area that this collar sits on the axle, against the inner bearing race. the resultant force applied to the bike (since its also where the collar rests against the inner race of the bearing) is the green arrow, which is effectively on the same spot as the triangle pivot in this case. the impact from the grind is, therefore, largely amplified  thru leverage. this means you're creating a mechanism that's prone to deformation from a rock hit rock approach and long leverage, and the consequence of when that happens is a possible combination of fucked bearing/bearing race/hub wobble/axle damage.

Keeping everything in context, dont forget there is a 4.5in long lever attached to the very end of the axle + a fat internet nerd jumping up and down, smashing the end of it repeatedly into a concrete block. In the grand scheme of things the load from a small  hub guard cantilevered off an inboard area of the axle, is going to be a fart in a jacuzzi when compared to the loads from the peg.

They're mostly good because they protect your spokes and they're a lot lower profile than the axle mounted ones.

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Any word on when these will be released?
Getting ready to order some jc/pc halves  and may grab some mkIIIs to hold me over.

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
Seriously, these are so awesome looking. 

When do they come out?  Shut up and take my money!
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline badlight

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »
Man, maybe its just the picture but those slots for the zapstraps/shoelace dont look deep enough. It looks like theyre going to be a part of the grinding surface, rather than sunk away from it. I know theyre not static and move with the wheel, but a couple good hits on a ledge is going to shred/break the shoelace/ziptie.

G-Sport and BSD..

I could never ride plastic pegs consistantly, the two that I've had were nearly fucked after less than a week.

My BSD guards have always slid like butter, but I guess i understand about the pegs, as Ive definitely killed a plastic peg in a single ledge sesh before.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »
Man, maybe its just the picture but those slots for the zapstraps/shoelace dont look deep enough. It looks like theyre going to be a part of the grinding surface, rather than sunk away from it. I know theyre not static and move with the wheel, but a couple good hits on a ledge is going to shred/break the shoelace/ziptie.

agreed, dont think theyre gonna last long
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Any word on when these will be released?
Getting ready to order some jc/pc halves  and may grab some mkIIIs to hold me over.

They are very close to production, just ironing out production stuff. Should be in stores mid-late spring time I would guess.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

G-Sport and BSD..

My BSD guards have always slid like butter, but I guess i understand about the pegs, as Ive definitely killed a plastic peg in a single ledge sesh before.

The cable ties are inset so they are flush but yes they DO form part of the grind surface, this means that the grind surface is smoother and there is less chance of catching which is what really stresses things. However, it isn't like there is any weight on the grind surface like there is on a peg. They should last a very long time and obviously they are replaceable. They have held up really well in testing and nobody has ground through one yet enough to break a tie.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
and a regular shoelace wont catch and grind away either? zipties tend to snap very soon for me

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
Merritt hubguard still looks cleaner I think.

Offline Arttu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
I used to make these 10 years ago, they worked really well (I would custom make each one to fit the hub perfectly). I still have a smaller one on my rear hub. At first I used zip ties, but they broke instantly, so I just used some shoelaces, which lasted years.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:24:10 PM by Arttu »

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
Im also for press fit. I have had my BSD on my marmoset for years and its just awesome. If there were chromo versions I probably use those
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
my biggest gripe with the glands was that it reallly just kinda reduced damage to the spokes, didnt fully protect them. after a long time all those ledge bashes into the guard would knock and deform all the spokes around the edge of the hub flange. and on the ratchet with its thick flanges, the spokes would deform like crazy at the J and then snap at that bend. my db spokes would rarely snap at the butting and mostly at that bent in J. i hope the new gland is better for this here lil gripe of mine

but theyre lighterweight

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special