Multimedia

Author Topic: New glands  (Read 18374 times)

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New glands
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
About time, the new front/rear design looks tonnes better and the wider hole spacing should be more solid too. Be interested to see what the back side is like, now hubs are more standardized in terms of flange size and spoke count, id imagine there'll be something other than the old pleasure knobbles, to help secure it?...

Offline peggiesmalls

• View Profile
Re: New glands
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
I hate to say but im leaning towards the new merrit clip on ones

sans.terre

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
those boys clean up nicely.

might actually run a pair of the handsome bastards. think they'd hold up in back?

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
dont like how much zip tie is exposed, or the fact that these appear to be designed around zipties to hold them in place int he first place, when the mankey strap or a shoelace has always worked wayyyy better on the older glands
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline not_much_for_names

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
I liked the way the older versions fixing points would evenly line up with the cross over of spokes on 48's, nice, even and simple.

Put them on 36's and it's sort of hit and miss evenly securing it to the spokes.

Really interested to see how these work out and the small, minimal shape looks good and clean!

I'm not street enough to take off my hub guards and way too OCD looking after the wheelset to put them through any form of traumatic experience without protection.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:13:36 PM by not_much_for_names »

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
^^^ yeah they never lined up properly on 36s, even the gland 3s. also i found the knobbles on the back of the 3s did more harm than good, and i could never get them to sit as flush as the 2s

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
is this tested to not grind through the ziptie or shoelace over 6 months?

Offline 14thStbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
I imagine there will still be a wide shoelace included.
Good to know it's not just me that couldn't get the IIIs to sit easily/centered in my 36h wheel.
Also agree that the IIs were better fitting.

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
Can we get some chromoly guards for G-Sport hubs now?

Seriously, why use a strap on plastic guard with the toughest hubs? they're pretty much the first hubs deigned around serious freestyle bmx abuse with huge 17-20mm axles with slip on collars, it only makes sense to make the collars replaceable with a nice slip on guard..

This is almost as confusing to me as why Primo won't update Wall and V-Monster tyres without changing the tread pattern.
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:40:48 AM »
Seriously, why use a strap on plastic guard with the toughest hubs? they're pretty much the first hubs deigned around serious freestyle bmx abuse with huge 17-20mm axles with slip on collars, it only makes sense to make the collars replaceable with a nice slip on guard..

The plastic makes sense because you're avoiding a "rock-hit-rock" approach to protection. when you attach the guard onto the spokes, it spins WITH the wheel. So when you smack your bike into a grind, the plastic just cushions the sharp edge of the obstacle from spiking into the spokes while the impact is spread to most/all the spokes (since the guard leans onto all of them). the spinning of the wheel helps preventing obstacles from constantly hitting one specific spot on your guard every grind, and being able to spin also reduces grind friction.

as for making it into a slip on collar, that'd actually make it work on a COMPLETELY different principle:
you'll never be able to make one guard that fits on every wheel in a way that the guard rests on the spokes evenly and snugly, let alone have it spin with the wheel. this means the guard has to have a lot more rigidity to it to withstand impact and stop itself bending into the spokes. this is now back to a rock-hit-rock approach, which almost seems primitive in this day and age given how much BMX engineerers have learnt over the years.

it would also create an immense point of leverage on the axle/bearing race. imagine this slip-on collar rigid guard as the horizontal blue bar in this:

the red arrow is the impact applied to the guard when you smack your bike onto a rail for a grind, whereas the triangle pivot is the contact area that this collar sits on the axle, against the inner bearing race. the resultant force applied to the bike (since its also where the collar rests against the inner race of the bearing) is the green arrow, which is effectively on the same spot as the triangle pivot in this case. the impact from the grind is, therefore, largely amplified  thru leverage. this means you're creating a mechanism that's prone to deformation from a rock hit rock approach and long leverage, and the consequence of when that happens is a possible combination of fucked bearing/bearing race/hub wobble/axle damage.

based on this above i hope you can see that while a collar slip on guard seems like a good idea, it would requie an axle that's hard enough (so maybe steel is needed), a guard itself with very strong rigidity and possibly extra beefiness at the bearing race contact area, all of which are NOT REQUIRED with a guard that strap onto the spokes. it even loses out on how it spreads out impact.

what's really desirable is, therefore, (probably) for the newest gland to be thick enough so that once its attached, it ALMOST fills the gap between the hub flange and the inside of the dropout yet without touching. this way, when you hop onto a grind and land on the guard, it effectively slides it back out to the bottom of the frame dropout and the peg, without putting pressure on the collar whatsoever.

Offline Anything Else

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:38 AM »
I'd like to see how these compare size wise to a gland 3.

Cut all the knobs off, attach them with really thin wire, never think about again.

Glands are the bestest.
Quote from: Fed_Tom;3489871
Girls should do girl sports like shutting the fuck up and sitting the fuck down.

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
Merritt hubguard still looks cleaner I think.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
Finally
it has happend to me
right in front of my face
and I just cannot hide it

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »
Merritt hubguard still looks cleaner I think.

those forks are cracked

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »

The plastic makes sense because you're avoiding a "rock-hit-rock" approach to protection. when you attach the guard onto the spokes, it spins WITH the wheel. So when you smack your bike into a grind, the plastic just cushions the sharp edge of the obstacle from spiking into the spokes while the impact is spread to most/all the spokes (since the guard leans onto all of them). the spinning of the wheel helps preventing obstacles from constantly hitting one specific spot on your guard every grind, and being able to spin also reduces grind friction.

as for making it into a slip on collar, that'd actually make it work on a COMPLETELY different principle:
you'll never be able to make one guard that fits on every wheel in a way that the guard rests on the spokes evenly and snugly, let alone have it spin with the wheel. this means the guard has to have a lot more rigidity to it to withstand impact and stop itself bending into the spokes. this is now back to a rock-hit-rock approach, which almost seems primitive in this day and age given how much BMX engineerers have learnt over the years.

it would also create an immense point of leverage on the axle/bearing race. imagine this slip-on collar rigid guard as the horizontal blue bar in this:

the red arrow is the impact applied to the guard when you smack your bike onto a rail for a grind, whereas the triangle pivot is the contact area that this collar sits on the axle, against the inner bearing race. the resultant force applied to the bike (since its also where the collar rests against the inner race of the bearing) is the green arrow, which is effectively on the same spot as the triangle pivot in this case. the impact from the grind is, therefore, largely amplified  thru leverage. this means you're creating a mechanism that's prone to deformation from a rock hit rock approach and long leverage, and the consequence of when that happens is a possible combination of fucked bearing/bearing race/hub wobble/axle damage.

based on this above i hope you can see that while a collar slip on guard seems like a good idea, it would requie an axle that's hard enough (so maybe steel is needed), a guard itself with very strong rigidity and possibly extra beefiness at the bearing race contact area, all of which are NOT REQUIRED with a guard that strap onto the spokes. it even loses out on how it spreads out impact.

what's really desirable is, therefore, (probably) for the newest gland to be thick enough so that once its attached, it ALMOST fills the gap between the hub flange and the inside of the dropout yet without touching. this way, when you hop onto a grind and land on the guard, it effectively slides it back out to the bottom of the frame dropout and the peg, without putting pressure on the collar whatsoever.

From a hacks point of view.. I'd like some hub guards that don't flop around and push my spokes into the flange, I'd also like them to grind smooth like a steel peg.

Maybe you've never felt how nice it is to grind something and have the same grind resistance between the peg and hub guard on the grind surface but it's pretty fucking amazing.. where aluminum and plastic guards stick and pull you at an angle toward the rail on things like icepicks and toothpicks, chromoly guards let you float evenly and straight down rails.

The other big aspect is covering the space between the hub flange and the dropout so rails and whatever else won't get wedged in there instead of on the peg or guard.

I'm sure you have all the practicalities worked out but when it comes to bike battering, press fit chromoly guards are the answer to the peg abusers dreams.
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello