Multimedia

Author Topic: Frame Features /Strength  (Read 33672 times)

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Frame Features /Strength
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
Check out Daniel Dhers' new siq seatstay bridge on his #lairdframe

https://instagram.com/p/zK0P55IB5M

3.6lb lolol.

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
Id get an F16 silhouette as a seat stay bridge in a heartbeat

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd go with the the guy who build dhers' dream frame
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »
I've been thinking about this, and intuitively, I think wishbones should be more rigid up and down (I.e., about and axis through the bb), and side to side (axis normal to the ground), but less rigid in twisting.

I could probably work out how to prove it, but my structures fu is not strong.

If you can prove that then you should move on to prove that up is down and black is white. One big one will always beat two small ones...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »
Check out Daniel Dhers' new siq seatstay bridge on his #lairdframe

https://instagram.com/p/zK0P55IB5M

3.6lb lolol.

I saw that, I can't see that frame lasting to long, then again Dher's only weighs about 30lbs
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
I've been thinking about this, and intuitively, I think wishbones should be more rigid up and down (I.e., about and axis through the bb), and side to side (axis normal to the ground), but less rigid in twisting.

If you can prove that then you should move on to prove that up is down and black is white. One big one will always beat two small ones...

G.

i want a 20.75 grim reaper

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
hmmmm, which of these bridges is better?

Offline ginger

• Veteran
  • Gulch fisting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »
The lighter one, duh.
Quote from: Christopher T.;3571083
When I was a virgin, I thought sex should mean something. Then I had sex and realized it is all about how awesome it is.

Offline Boomhauer

• Least Favourite JUGGALO by far
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »

G.

Even in Bukkake films?
Quote from: Bink;3116353
Yeah, f**k that.  Grind everything.
Quote from: skateparkrider;3612141
The gussets are awesome.  My wife has been needing my name carved into her for about a decade.

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »

G.

First and foremost, It's been a long time since I've done any work like this, so I would certainly defer to your expertise.

However, what I was thinking is that trying to twist the rear wheel, (like imagine putting a bar through the dropouts and standing on one side), the lower wishbone would be in pure torsion, and there would be a bending moment at the top wishbone, with a moment arm length of something like standover height - BB rise.

On a standard rear triangle, the single bending moment would be replaced by two bending moments, one at each seat stay, and the moment arm would be marginally longer (the hypotenuse of a triangle with vertices at the center of the axle, the dropout and the center of each seat stay).  Additionally you would replace the torsion about the lower wishbone with two bending moments, but I can't remember if that's a good thing or not, especially considering that lower wishbones are rarely circular.

So that’s where I stopped, because even if this line of though was accurate (I’m not sure it is), I’m pretty sure that if you held mass constant, you could plug in all the material properties and over some range of section dimensions, one would be better than the other, and over another range of section dimensions, the other might be better, and there is absolutely no guarantee that you could make a tire fit on any of the optimized solutions.

And ultimately, that’s not really a loading I think we care a whole lot about.  I don’t think a little twisting on a peg stall, or landing with some sort of yaw is going to be noticeable.  Obviously, that’s something I think I would be willing to compromise to make the structure stiffer when you apply a downward force to the bottom bracket.
One of these days I’ll dig my books out and prove myself wrong, in the meantime, hopefully I’m not sounding like too much of a muppet.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello