Multimedia

Author Topic: Kink Senec Pedals: Play  (Read 12283 times)

Offline red_spectre

• View Profile
Kink Senec Pedals: Play
« on: February 14, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
I noticed there is a few people on the board with Kink Senec pedals. I have had a set for a couple months. I am curious if you are experiencing a substantial amount of play? My pedal body clicks up and down on the spindle. The left pedal has a tolerable amount of play. I have the cone tightened so it does not spin furiously on the spindle. However, my right pedal, although tightened securely on the crank, feels as if it is completely loose when riding. I can literally hear a click when I shift my feet on the right pedal. In short, my right pedal in particular does not feel solid at all.

Offline Gary

• View Profile
Re: Kink Senec Pedals: Play
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
I've got 3 pairs on my bikes. None of them wobble. I like Kink's design over the BFE's which my buddy had and wobbled furiously. Have you thought of trying a thicker O-ring? Or even a new pedal body , only a few bucks too see if that helps

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:03:50 AM »
I have a pair and so does my buddy. We both have a small play on all our pedals, its impossible to get away from. But with small I really mean tiny, its barely noticable.

The problem you describe I think is just because you havent installed and/or maintained them properly. The fact that the axles are tighten down on the crank means nothing. Basically the axle is a screw with a nut on it that tightens the body. If the pedal is tight on the crank then the nut is fixed to the crank, but it doesnt mean that the nut is tightened down to the body. What you need to do is to slightly loosen your pedal from the crank, tighten the nut to the body, then retighten the pedal to the crank.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
Mine wobbled. I got new bodies, they came with new O rings. I doubled them up, it fixed the wobble. I haven't been able to ride them yet though, so we'll see how long it lasts.

sans.terre

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
ah, i think...yeah...the problem seems to be you're running something from kink.

try the pegs circa '06? . those were good. otherwise we can't really help you. sry.

hamiltons for life!
also u may try bsd safari if u wanna go fish

Offline red_spectre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
I have a pair and so does my buddy. We both have a small play on all our pedals, its impossible to get away from. But with small I really mean tiny, its barely noticable.

The problem you describe I think is just because you havent installed and/or maintained them properly. The fact that the axles are tighten down on the crank means nothing. Basically the axle is a screw with a nut on it that tightens the body. If the pedal is tight on the crank then the nut is fixed to the crank, but it doesnt mean that the nut is tightened down to the body. What you need to do is to slightly loosen your pedal from the crank, tighten the nut to the body, then retighten the pedal to the crank.

They are most definitely installed properly. Pedals are not yet two months old and seeing as it is winter I have barely ridden them - so maintenance surely is not an issue. Actually, the ability to tighten the cone to the body is one of the reasons I was sold on these pedals. In the past I have always tightened the outside nut on standard unsealed pedals to limit how fast the pedal spins. However, as a result I tend to prematurely blow up bearings.

I have extra o-rings and pedal bodies. I will see if it makes a difference. However, as the pedal body is literally mint this pains me a bit. Its not that the pedal bodies are expensive... just frustrating... Maybe just bad luck on one pedal body?

In regards to Kink. I ran the OG sprockets and pegs ages ago. Good stuff. Although I am unsure about these pedals thus far, I will say that Kink's Lyra and Vela tires are terrific. Previously I ran the OG Ruben Tires (best tires ever). Can't find these anymore. Not a fan of the large size of the 2.35 Rampera and the 3 sets I have had all shit the bed (the casing in particular on the skin walled Ramperas is extremely fragile.) Looking for a tire similar to the OG Ruben I tried out the Kink Lyra and Vela and they are now my tire of choice. Underrated product in my opinion.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:21:22 AM »
I loved the idea behind these pedals, as well as for the animals even though the pricing was outragous. But seeing how many people are having troubles with them it might not be the best idea, or the design is just not finished yet.

I will go back to unsealed twisted or Sealed whatever pedals.
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

sans.terre

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
the idea is awesome, but unless you live in the states or have a hookup, the logistics are going to fuck everything up. it's worth dealing with a shitty wobbly pedal to get replacements at $5. (no more).
but when you factor in shipping, getting ahold of the bastards, etc. etc. you're honestly looking closer towards $15.
for which you might as well just buy a legit plastic pedal.

enter: the steven hamilton PC

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
pedals are always going to have a bit of play in them, its inevitable
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:00:16 AM »
Well yes and no, you can never remove the smallest microscopic play. But you can remove any noticable play.

I have myself set up twisted, by using grease and tighten them well, with virtually no play. With sealed pedals its even easier.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
they always work themselves loose pretty quickly, and for the most part its not really noticeable once youre standing on them anyway. i never understood why people obsess over this so much, so long as theyre not about to drop off the spindle, its all good
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline got bike?

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
I'm i the only one thinking that BMX should have a larger OD on pedals spindle threads? i just had that idea while puting some used Animal BPEs and noticed they don't spin aligned. And those where some 17mm OD spindle but not the threads.

Offline got bike?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
i may have gone off topic, sorry.

And yeah those pedals using plastic bushings instead of metal bearings tend to wobble quickly, and it seems nothing can prevent that beside replacing those bushings.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
I get really uneasy when I feel something being loose, even just slightly. I worry that it would come off or get jammed in some weird position, causing me to fall. Probably just me being too anal about it. But I rather have a bike I can trust when I ride vert and bowl.

Pedals , hubs and headsets are the things I notice, so I will prob scrap my Kink pedals soon

Offline red_spectre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
Yeah, new pedal body/assembly and the addition of a hefty amount of thick grease (as recommended by Kink via email) did nothing. I really wanted to like these pedals... Oh well I guess.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello