Multimedia

Author Topic: 22 the front and 20 back?  (Read 24224 times)

Offline Bink

• Douglas Terrance Fischer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 22 the front and 20 back?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
Mismatched wheel sizes on bikes is so stupid.

Why?

In this instance, the BB will be raised and any height in the bars will almost entirely be negated by that. It's a non solution. Get bigger bars, or ride a 22" bike.

Even when a frame is designed around mismatched wheels, it doesn't solve anything, in my opinion. For instance, the obsolete 69er MTBs might allow a rider the ability to barrel over terrain with the 29" front wheel, while affording him better, tighter corner capabilities with the 26" rear wheel. However, some tweaks to the frame geometry--like a short rear end, longer effective top tube, lower BB height, etc.--will give him the same advantages with two equal sized wheels. Also, carrying two different sized tubes is a pain in the ass.

That's my basic interpretation, anyway. I feel like the only place for mismatched wheel sizes is on cargo bikes.

Offline @ss4oLe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »
one of the best bikes I've ridden was purchased with a 60mm fork (mtn bike). I put a 100mm fork on it and rode the living shit out of it.

So, if it works for ya, go for it.

22 front/20 rear ain't new. They came from the factory like that in the late 70's.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:24 PM »

Sorry I don't have enough time right now to be more specific:

The BB will only be raised by a fraction of what the bars are, as it is nearer to the fulcrum than the front end but you're not entirely wrong

Frame geo tweaks can't do all that different wheel sizes can (eg: a bigger wheel will always deal with bumpier terran better), but you're not entirely wrong

A personal ancedote I wouldn't mind going down an inch or 2 in the rear on my own bike. The front can stay at 20" for dirt but a smaller wheel on the back would definitely help my tech/flat game where angular momentum is a big deal (and give more room for the crank/CS/tire area where they all vie for space). The front can get over bumps nice and fine when I ride dirt and the rear can just monster truck over shit

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »

The BB will only be raised by a fraction of what the bars are, as it is nearer to the fulcrum than the front end but you're not entirely wrong

Good point.

From a different perspective . . . a Sunday Wave C with a 22" fork and 22" wheel:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sunday/77914

Here's a regular 20" Holmes with a 22" fork and 22" wheels...
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3442794#p3442794
Back in 2012, "teachbmxcharlie" wrote:  "The bb height is close to that of my 24" Dirtbike, b/c the custom 22" forks on the 20" frame raise the front-end and bb height slightly. The height measures between 12 and 3/4" and 13" even, making the bb height a little taller than desirable--but OK for a quick custom."

That was before the 22" Holmes came out:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3748955#p3748955
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:04:22 AM by cmc4130 »

Offline ediotism

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:23 AM »
22 front 20 back looks fun as fuck for trails. good thing being that once the front wheel is off the ground, the bike's already at a geometry you're quite used to. i reckon it'll only take 20minutes to get used to it... well, for me anyway since i don't have that many tricks

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:23 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello