Multimedia

Author Topic: Ghetto Fab Springfield Brake Mounts.  (Read 14885 times)

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
Re: Ghetto Fab Springfield Brake Mounts.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Kurt, does the Springhanger system provide better tension than the Springfields, or are they both noticeably weaker than traditional 990s?

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 08:21:54 AM »
Depends on how much tension you put on 990's. Too much tension robs power anyway

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:34 AM »
I guess I'm just asking if either is comparable in feel to a traditional 990. The Springfields that I have felt were all a bit mushy.

Offline weedbix

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »
Fair question. Personally I'd stick with normal 990s if tension is important

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
Nice! I liked the Springfield brakes but the spring kept breaking on me which was a bummer. I ended up rocking a rubber band between the arms and it actually worked pretty well. I recently got some Springhanger brakes from Flybikes that I'm really happy with though. They come with flush mount bolts which is why I thought of that.

I went through a few springs at first, but I think they were changed or something, because the one I'm using now has been a trooper.

I guess I'm just asking if either is comparable in feel to a traditional 990. The Springfields that I have felt were all a bit mushy.
  I've sanded the brake pads down a little so that I can put a little preload on the spring.  I think that's gotten me pretty close to the EVOs with the weaker springs, which is about right to me.  It's most likely too soft for most people.

The primary reason for trying to preload the spring was to get enough tension on the straddle cable to stop it from slapping the downtube.  I don't really care too much about how my brakes feel, but man, I fuckin hate rattles.

Offline Kurt Hohberger

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmxunion.com
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
Kurt, does the Springhanger system provide better tension than the Springfields, or are they both noticeably weaker than traditional 990s?

Both the Springfields and Springhanger offer pretty smooth and solid pull if they're dialed in and your wheel is centered. The only downfall is if the wheel isn't centered they can feel mushy since you can't adjust the arms independently. I honestly feel they provide plenty of tension and have no issue with abubacas, fufanus or really any trick that require the brakes to lock up. The Springhanger Spring can be adjusted for tension as well by bending the arms outward or inward so that's a bit of a perk if you are looking for some adjustment, too.

http://flybikes.com/products/braking/manual-springhanger << If you want to know how the spring works.
Check out The Union! - http://www.bmxunion.com
Original interviews, videos, reviews, Insights... Daily videos, news and photos!

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special