Multimedia

Author Topic: Demystifying the VX - The Atavism  (Read 14735 times)

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
Demystifying the VX - The Atavism
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »
http://theatavism.tumblr.com/post/108748267998/demystifying-the-vx
There is a little bit more thought to this than the average post. Agree? Disagree? My opinion is shit?

I don't think I made a thread about this project I've been working on for a bit. Essentially I come from an art background and an important aspect of art is critiquing and I take that and apply it to videos and riding styles. I'm never sure if anyone really reads it outside the handful of people who like it and I try to make every post well thought through so it would be nice if a larger audience does read it. If you enjoy reading about BMX or even just like throwback videos, check it out <-End shameless plug

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Demystifying the VX - The Atavism
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
One thing about VX that makes it work so well for BMX (and skate) films is the aspect ratio. 4:3 gives the action on screen a sense of speed that hd widescreen doesn't quite capture.

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
http://theatavism.tumblr.com/post/108748267998/demystifying-the-vx
There is a little bit more thought to this than the average post. Agree? Disagree? My opinion is shit?

I don't think I made a thread about this project I've been working on for a bit. Essentially I come from an art background and an important aspect of art is critiquing and I take that and apply it to videos and riding styles. I'm never sure if anyone really reads it outside the handful of people who like it and I try to make every post well thought through so it would be nice if a larger audience does read it. If you enjoy reading about BMX or even just like throwback videos, check it out <-End shameless plug

I swear people are just having a hard time adjusting to wide screen bmx videos. The aspect ratio really makes a big difference in the way bmx looks. The VX is not even standard 4:3. It's a bit tighter, which makes people and objects look taller and thinner. Maybe thats why old footage looked more gnarly and "real", but in reality HD does a better job representing the "realness" of BMX. That's to say, it doesn't make a big drop look giant. Obviously filming tricks could change that, but that stands from the olden days.

Edit: just saw the comment above

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is a 4:3 option on any HD camera. I'm not sure that if it's real 4:3 or like the fake 16:9 you can get on the VX.

I just started using my DSLR/16:9 and I do find a lot of the old filming tricks don't work as well on it. I think that's why a lot of filming has been more closer to the rider these days to try to compensate for the fact that if you stood the average distance away from the rider in the 4:3 days, it looks way smaller.

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:35:50 AM »
I have been riding for some 14 years now and even though I have quite a good insight into BMX photography I know almost nothing about videography. I have Heard of VX but never understood what it was, your article and post cleared that up, thank you.

My stance is that BMX videos from the past was videographically utterly horrible. I gave the The Make edit you posted a go and remembered the old style video feel, and remembered how far we come, it was so bad. I have absolutely no understanding for the urge of keeping with VX, it is horrible. And bad fisheyes need to go away from videos.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
vx hype is silly, its different if you actually used and filmed with one years back, but kids who started riding after affordable digital cameras were available, spending way over what theyre worth just cos theyre all retro and cool now is dumb. if youre still filming with one, you best be releasing your video on vhs and then watching it on a crt screen as well

also dv tapes can suck my hole, so annoying capturing them onto the computer (hope youve got a firewire port on your computer for that)
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline bluebmx

• Administrator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »
While it's probably more hassle than it's worth, now that we have 4k cameras, you could run something wild like a 6.5mm circular fisheye on it, then crop off the sides and make a full HD (or maybe even slightly more resolution) 4:3 image. For normal shots you could just toss up 4:3 shoot safe lines and crop in post. I don't see the need, but for those die hards that love the look of 4:3 but would also like the crispiness of HD, the answer had arrived.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »
While it's probably more hassle than it's worth, now that we have 4k cameras, you could run something wild like a 6.5mm circular fisheye on it, then crop off the sides and make a full HD (or maybe even slightly more resolution) 4:3 image. For normal shots you could just toss up 4:3 shoot safe lines and crop in post. I don't see the need, but for those die hards that love the look of 4:3 but would also like the crispiness of HD, the answer had arrived.

4:3 on the average TV does not look right. I think if I saw HD 4:3 on the standard TV it would bug me but that's just my opinion. Let's have standards people!

Offline CMcMahon

• View Profile
    • SJBMX
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:50 AM »
One thing about VX that makes it work so well for BMX (and skate) films is the aspect ratio. 4:3 gives the action on screen a sense of speed that hd widescreen doesn't quite capture.

I disagree. The style of filming that went along with VX1000/Mk I fisheye is what gave it the sense of speed. You can do the exact same thing with the right type of lens on an HD camcorder (ie: the Whale-eye).

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

I disagree. The style of filming that went along with VX1000/Mk I fisheye is what gave it the sense of speed. You can do the exact same thing with the right type of lens on an HD camcorder (ie: the Whale-eye).

Have any examples of this?

Offline CMcMahon

• View Profile
    • SJBMX
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »

Have any examples of this?

Not offhand, but it's definitely out there. I think that it's just not as prevalent because the vast majority of filmers aren't going to spend tons of cash on a heavy lens that requires rails to mount properly.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
I feel like maybe 4:3 gives a better illusion of speed because the rider's path is cropped more, giving the rider more emphasis. With 16:9 framing the rider in a similar run and style would show more of his line path(because it's wider), possibly making it seem like he's riding slower cause there's more predictability, less emphasis on the focus, somethin.

Offline smalley

• B(g Veteran)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »
bud bmx vhs edit coming this summer
SLOOT

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
bud bmx vhs edit coming this summer

Banger.
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Offline Albie

• Solid Bikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
Photographers still shoot with black and white film and develop it themselves in their bathrooms (You think capturing tapes is a pain in the ass?). They do that even though we have access to full frame digital cameras that far surpass the resolving power of most film formats and basically have no flaws at this point.

Even if it isn't the best way of doing it, it doesn't make it wrong.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special