Multimedia

Author Topic: "NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"  (Read 65811 times)

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
Re: "NIGEL SYLVESTER ON ADVANCING BMX WITHOUT FITTING IN"
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »
Can't hate on the dude for getting his nut. He's still not as bad as Adam22.

Yeah, but a22 doesn't get his fame from riding a bike. Nigel does, and I just feel like other riders  should be getting his type of money if not more. He stopped progressing and is just milking it. Seriously good on him, but I just don't get it. I guess he is more marketable because he is a black dude from Queens?

He gets invites to contest and he doesn't show up, he get to go on trips and hardly rides, all he cares about is looking "swag" on his bike. How is that what bmx is about? He gives kids a wrong impression of bmx, but i guess that's what it takes to get recognized by the mass media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXm-AIY5Eis

If that's the face of bmx, I am truly ashamed to ride a little bike. I obviously still love it and will continue to do so, but I am worried about the future of bmx. That is all.

Right now, I'm sure when most people think of BMX, I'm sure they think xgames or the mega ramp. I'm sure that accurately describes every street rider...
BMX will still be BMX. When someone sees Nigel ride down the road, I'm sure people think "oh that's terrible" when you can go watch Colt Fake have beer poured in his mouth as he tries to pull some girls bra off or Sean Burns drop his bike on some bums head. Though Nigel isn't the best rider or dress as ratty as most bmx riders, he is more of a street rider than most bmx riders that have had any mainstream recognition before.

Nigel, getting some recognition outside of BMX isn't going to change the sport because a few more kids might be at the park than usual and maybe only one of them might actually stick with it. And I hardly doubt it will give it an image worse than what it could be. Honestly, how is that any different than now? Most kids that rode around here quit after 2-3 years.

You can say Bam didn't do shit for skating because he didn't dump all his money back into the sport. But the fact that he happened, didn't change skateboarding forever. It just got idiot kids, who think doing rad, stupid shit is fun(basically the basis of bmx), to go buy an Element board. And indirectly put some money into the skateboarding industry.

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMqm0BtE8w How can you not say he's not good!?

He can barspin, I don't think he is amazing past that.

You're making a way bigger deal out of something way smaller. If you asked 90% of kids 19 and younger what Brooklyn machine works is, I suspect you would find a very small value. This dude can hardly be held responsible for kids being dumbfucks on BMX bikes. That is the point of it. To get into trouble, do stupid shit, do wallrides on the office supply store down the street. You can be embarrassed, ashamed, and worried all you like but this isn't an upscale discipline anyone outside of BMX will look at and think of it assuming a televised contest rider could just drop out next year and not be any worse off.

You're right. I still think that 50% of what Nigel makes should be transferred into Edwin's bank account, Il'l just leave it at that.

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »
Dude if other riders are more deserving of "HiS" success then why dont they do it? Its not up to him to make sure other people get paid like him. He made the right moves for himself. Garrett made the right moves for himself. All the really succes or non struggling riders made moves to better their lives while riding and nigel gets shit for it because hes not some ratty looking kid that goes to contests and puts out edits every week?
But he dresses nice so he isnt really a real rider?

Brooklynrider

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
Van Homan will save us

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
I just feel like other riders  should be getting his type of money if not more. He stopped progressing and is just milking it.

At least we see some sort of footage/marketing from Nigel. There are plenty of riders who haven't progressed or even put out any type of coverage in years, yet no one questions their place in the industry. Not to kick those dudes down cause they all earned it one way or another. He's put out multiple stellar sections, all showing a lot progression from the one before it, sure it's mostly barspin but that's his distinct style.

I guess he is more marketable because he is a black dude from Queens?

Nigel is marketable cause he's an outsider of sorts, he represents mainstream ideals in an alternative sport. Someone like Nigel represents today's generation and it's idea of self promtion and self branding, it's something kids today understand that obviously the older generation frowns upon. BMX seems to be constantly left behind cause we're catering to the ideals of the past and stuck in what we used to be. Our little niche thing has to evolve to prosper and that's including the figures in it also.

Brooklynrider

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
If this is the future of bmx then I don't want to be a part of it. BMX does not need to be commercialized any more than it is. We don't need more skateparks or our sport to be in the spotlight, we need more companies that give a shit about us rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
Then quit. If this one individual discusts you to the point where you feel the need to quit then youre obviously not into bmx to begin with. You are more worried about an image that you dont have to have. Log off ride and come back in a few months and tell me how much nigel sylvester has ruined your bmx experience.

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
I imagine running a core company is an expensive endeavor, especially when you are trying to manufacture a fairly expensive thing like bike parts as a cheap as possible cause your marketing to kids. If more corporate sponsors invest in BMX(even if it's for a short time) and it will open up the market to more consumers who would have otherwise never been introduced to it. Sure a lot of those kids will quit but if you open up a larger pool than there will be more people that will stick with it. I speculate that the larger pool of kids who stick with it will naturally move on to the core brands cause they dominate aftermarket parts. Which is good for everyone.   

You don't have to be a part of anything as long as you enjoy the act of pedaling on a bike and doing maneuvers. There will always be brands that keep us grounded in our roots but for BMX to expand and better take care of our community it has to reach out.

I think bike riding is the coolest thing and it'd be cool if other kids could get that chance. I imagine a lot of us came to riding because of commercialization through X-Games, Rad, or what not. I did through TV, it's not like I'm still paying for Walmart brands anymore. Of course bigger companies like Nike will end up cannibalizing a large share of the market but that can't be helped unless it grows to a point where they are forced to take the general opinion seriously.

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
Dude if other riders are more deserving of "HiS" success then why dont they do it? Its not up to him to make sure other people get paid like him. He made the right moves for himself. Garrett made the right moves for himself. All the really succes or non struggling riders made moves to better their lives while riding and nigel gets shit for it because hes not some ratty looking kid that goes to contests and puts out edits every week?

He doesn't go to contests because he will get exposed to his sponsors.

He DOES put out edits every week, and they meh.

He does't dress nice, he dresses like a "swagfag". You like that Pyradice shit?

Plus, i never said you need to look ratty to be considered a real rider. All I was trying to illustrate is that people usually dress accordingly to the activity they are doing, getting all "swaggy" to ride a little kids bike that you're likely going to fall off on is stupid. It just gives kids the wrong impression of what bmx is really like. He can allow himself to do that only because of his sponsors, but kids can't. Plus he also gives kids false hope of making any real money from bmx, because most pros are getting payed peanuts.

I just feel like other riders  should be getting his type of money if not more. He stopped progressing and is just milking it.

At least He's put out multiple stellar sections, all showing a lot progression from the one before it, sure it's mostly barspin but that's his distinct style.

Cant agree with you there. If anything he got worse, and now he is doing self ABDs for different videos. His style is not distinct, it is a copy of Edwin.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »

He wont get dropped for not placing first which has been proven by other riders like dak who is really good bit doesnt win all the time.

I was talking out of my ass on that one. I.honestly dont know what he puts out and i hardly watch edits online anymore.

Yes i do. But i like simple stuff. And to me he doesnt dress like a swagfag. Until he is sagging skinny jeans with basket ball shorts underneath with a small size designer shirt and large belt buckle no he isnt a swagfag. He is from nyc his style is very ny. Ralphy ramos, edwin, tyrone, a lot of nyc riders have a style due to the surroundings. Its part of the lifestyle out there. And kids can afford dunks levis and a tshirt or jacket or hoody.

Plus, i never said you need to look ratty to be considered a real rider. All I was trying to illustrate is that people usually dress accordingly to the activity they are doing, getting all "swaggy" to ride a little kids bike that you're likely going to fall off on is stupid. It just gives kids the wrong impression of what bmx is really like. He can allow himself to do that only because of his sponsors, but kids can't. Plus he also gives kids false hope of making any real money from bmx, because most pros are getting payed peanuts.

Again this is part of his lifestyle probably before he even got big. As i said its a NYC type of thing. If you have ever been its an experience you must witness first hand without doing the tourist thing. Also isnt being different what makes bmx awesome? or according to you bad for the scene. Its the bike that makes us a community not our style. Trust me i didnt look like a bmx rider when i was a kid, but when i rode trails with people it was a shock.
Also if a kid wants.to.get famous let.him try thats his buisness its not.up to us to shoot his hopes of.riding.for.his favorite company down. Thats that salt talking you need to chill a little.

At least He's put out multiple stellar sections, all showing a lot progression from the one before it, sure it's mostly barspin but that's his distinct style.

Cant agree with you there. If anything he got worse, and now he is doing self ABDs for different videos. His style is not distinct, it is a copy of Edwin.
Lighten up.

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

He wont get dropped for not placing first which has been proven by other riders like dak who is really good bit doesnt win all the time.

I was talking out of my ass on that one. I.honestly dont know what he puts out and i hardly watch edits online anymore.

Yes i do. But i like simple stuff. And to me he doesnt dress like a swagfag. Until he is sagging skinny jeans with basket ball shorts underneath with a small size designer shirt and large belt buckle no he isnt a swagfag. He is from nyc his style is very ny. Ralphy ramos, edwin, tyrone, a lot of nyc riders have a style due to the surroundings. Its part of the lifestyle out there. And kids can afford dunks levis and a tshirt or jacket or hoody.

Again this is part of his lifestyle probably before he even got big. As i said its a NYC type of thing. If you have ever been its an experience you must witness first hand without doing the tourist thing. Also isnt being different what makes bmx awesome? or according to you bad for the scene. Its the bike that makes us a community not our style. Trust me i didnt look like a bmx rider when i was a kid, but when i rode trails with people it was a shock.
Also if a kid wants.to.get famous let.him try thats his buisness its not.up to us to shoot his hopes of.riding.for.his favorite company down. Thats that salt talking you need to chill a little.

Lighten up.

Im fine, good for him for making it. I don't have any ill will on him, I'm just very opinionated and maybe I need to work on how I express it without sounding angry or w.e. It's just the way i truly feel, and have felt for a while. This thread allowed me to let it all out, plus typing can be fun sometimes. I could have simply just said he is overrated.

Offline ImNick

• View Profile
    • nickgarrisonphotography.com
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
If this is the future of bmx then I don't want to be a part of it. BMX does not need to be commercialized any more than it is. We don't need more skateparks or our sport to be in the spotlight, we need more companies that give a shit about us rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

I'm sure every skater quite riding when Bam or Ryan Sheckler got a TV show. I'm sure every snowboarder quit riding after Shawn White got a clothing line at Target.

Quit being upset and realize that companies might be able to care about riders more if they have a little more money.
Or just quit riding, because I'm sure no one would care if you did.

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »

I'm sure every skater quite riding when Bam or Ryan Sheckler got a TV show. I'm sure every snowboarder quit riding after Shawn White got a clothing line at Target.

Quit being upset and realize that companies might be able to care about riders more if they have a little more money.

Shawn White and Ryan Sheckler shouldn't be compared in this discussion, but you are right to include Bam.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070712142847AAJajbH
/\/\/\
This about sums up this whole thread, but instead of Bam it's Nigel. Nigel isn't as crazy of a personality as Bam, but look what's happening to the skateboarding industry these-days. Trying to make an alternative sport main stream is more than likely to fail. In other words, we will all just have to wait this Nigel wave out, whether we like it or not.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »

Would like to green box you for this.

No one is forcing you to participate Brooklyn. If one dude trying to make a name for himself bums you out that much that you're going to have a temper tantrum and stop riding, go for it.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline condrbkr

• View Profile

Brooklynrider

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
My comment was more of a reply to Condorbkr's comment before mine, not necessarily to Nigel's riding. I also didn't say I wanted to quit because of Nigel, which is kind of outrageous and I'm not sure why everyone thought that's what I meant. I do believe BMX needs to evolve but definitely not in that direction. I'm still just as hyped on bmx as I was the first day I started riding but I just completely gave up on following what is going on in bmx. There definitely are several companies out there that are doing the right thing and riders that are doing real riding that deserve recognition but simply aren't getting it. Odyssey constantly pushes new technology into bmx yet everyone is infinitely more hyped on a new shadow chain simply because it looks cool and Shadow claims it is "the strongest chain on the market". Obviously since bikes have gotten lighter, younger kids will be able to participate in the sport but it seems that it is now only mindless 15 year olds and companies know that. It has become extremely rare to actually find a company or a rider that cares about the sport and not what puts more money into their pockets.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special