Multimedia

Author Topic: winter riding gear questions  (Read 12684 times)

Offline boneskid1

• View Profile
winter riding gear questions
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
I am wondering what those of you that ride in the winter use for a jacket and gloves when  riding in the winter. I am currently using a pair of knit gloves and whatever jacket I can find. It works, but I am still freezing my ass off on the ride.
It's like a mean nuggah went through hunters ed

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
Re: winter riding gear questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Sometimes a hoodie. That's usually too much when I start pedaling around.

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
I wear a soft shell jacket that "breathes" enough so i don't overheat but still protects me from the wind so i don't freeze my ass off. It's also stretchy so you don't feel your movements are restricted.

As far as gloves i wear theses Giro http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/gloves/winter/ambient.html

Offline boneskid1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
Alright I found some gloves that are similar to the giro ones. Now to find a jacket. Alo I have another question, do you guys wear a hood or anything over your ears?

Brooklynrider

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
I wear a merino wool or uniqlo heattech base layer. After that, you can wear any jacket you want if its even remotely windproof. I'm not sure where you are located and perhaps its colder there but im perfectly fine wearing a good base layer, t-shirt, hoodie, and light jacket in ~20 degree weather.

Offline Sebastian

• Tullingsworth
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm on my bike for 4-8 hours a day during the (lower) Midwest winter, so I can probably offer some advice.  The hardest things to keep warm are hands, feet, and to some extent face.  Core is important but if you have a good jacket or two and maybe some base layers, you should be fine.  Legs are whatever.

For hand coverage, I wear light winter gloves or even work gloves for any temp over freezing.  For <25-30, I just use these Celtek lobsterclaw snowboard mittens.  Anything warmer and my hands start to sweat uncomfortably, the mittens are THAT warm.

For the head, usually just a normal wool cap.  I don't usually feel like I need face protection unless it's <25F, in which case a neoprene balaclava is great.  If your eyes get really fucked up by the cold, you can get some snowboard googles, too.  edit-- I also generally pack some basic shop glasses if it's going to rain or sleet, because squinting through that shit sucks, but I also don't care enough to pay for real ''cycling eyewear.''

For foot coverage, I switch to less ventilated shoes (right now, Chrome Kursk Pros), and neoprene booties over those if it's <25F, or cold and wet.

For the core, any combination of these, depending on temp/conditions:

-Merino wool or synthetic jersey base.
-Pearl Izumi soft shell for most days, hoodie under that if it's <35F.
-Slightly heavier, but still light Marmot shell if it's <25F, hoodie under that if it's even colder.

For legs, usually just merino leggings and regular-ass work shorts or pants over that, depending on the temperature.

tl;dr-- Marmot and Pearl Izumi make good shells and snowboarding gloves work well.  Get a balaclava if your face is cold.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:06:46 PM by Sebastian »

Offline RighteousBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
I use an imitation Underarmour long sleeve with a thin sweatshirt or two over it, jeans and long johns underneath if it's super cold. Any dollar store gloves work, just depends on whether or not you want ones with rubber on the palms for extra grip. Thermal cap with wooly inside. Jock strap and cup for protection/support with butt plug wrapped in one of those travel hand warmers shoved up my ass for maximum heat absorption and comfortabilities.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »
I think my fullcut helmet was the best winter riding purchase I have ever made. That plus a hood keeps my head and neck warm at an elite sauna level.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
Base layer like long sleeve under armour tucked into pants are the best thing for me.  Not bulky but provides insane warmth
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline boneskid1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
Cool I am in the Midwest so...... I wear vans so my feet are not too much of a problem I am going to look this week for a windproof jacket of the sorts

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
I'm on my bike for 4-8 hours a day during the (lower) Midwest winter, so I can probably offer some advice.  The hardest things to keep warm are hands, feet, and to some extent face.  Core is important but if you have a good jacket or two and maybe some base layers, you should be fine.  Legs are whatever.

For hand coverage, I wear light winter gloves or even work gloves for any temp over freezing.  For <25-30, I just use these Celtek lobsterclaw snowboard mittens.  Anything warmer and my hands start to sweat uncomfortably, the mittens are THAT warm.

For the head, usually just a normal wool cap.  I don't usually feel like I need face protection unless it's <25F, in which case a neoprene balaclava is great.  If your eyes get really fucked up by the cold, you can get some snowboard googles, too.  edit-- I also generally pack some basic shop glasses if it's going to rain or sleet, because squinting through that shit sucks, but I also don't care enough to pay for real ''cycling eyewear.''

For foot coverage, I switch to less ventilated shoes (right now, Chrome Kursk Pros), and neoprene booties over those if it's <25F, or cold and wet.

-Slightly heavier, but still light Marmot shell if it's <25F, hoodie under that if it's even colder.

For legs, usually just merino leggings and regular-ass work shorts or pants over that, depending on the temperature.

tl;dr-- Marmot and Pearl Izumi make good shells and snowboarding gloves work well.  Get a balaclava if your face is cold.

Wow that is some very well thought out info!!! Good to know

Yeah hands getting cold is the worst.

I keep my core warm with a tight fitting thermal shirt

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
northface thermal top, wolly hat , hoodie, normal winter gloves, animal bikes parka.

oh and not to forget the flask of tea.. us brits love that shit!

Offline peggiesmalls

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »
northface thermal top, wolly hat , hoodie, normal winter gloves, animal bikes parka.

i always wanted on those parkas bitd 

Offline meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

i always wanted on those parkas bitd

got mine of ebay a few months back , turns out i brought it of Marv aswell

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

+rep. Great post.

Are you a courier?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello