Multimedia

Author Topic: aluminum nipples  (Read 24564 times)

Offline got bike?

• View Profile
Re: aluminum nipples
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
I'll probably buy a set, as they are light but i'm worried about the availability of their tool in case i loose the included one.

I have no problem giving my money for a light nice invention.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »
Bunky is right.  I find myself pissed when I am building wheels using regular brass or alloy nipples.  The G-Sport nipples are too good. 

If you CBA to buy these nipples because you are afraid you will lose the tool, my suggestion is to stop being a tool and keep track of your shit.  Just a thought.... 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Just say no.

I did aluminum nipples once.  It's just not worth it.  I'm fully convinced that no combination of care, tooling and antisieze will prevent you from rounding them off if you care that your wheel is semi-true and are the least bit un-smooth.  It was worse than being married to a ginger.  Either one could ruin your day at a moments notice.

The g-sport nipples are most likely tons better, but you're still going to end up galling a few of them eventually to save like two ounces while you're possibly running 27 ounce tires.

If you're already on Kevlar bead tires, some stupid light rims, .8mm thick tubes and titanium spokes, cool. have fun. Otherwise there are less painful ways to save rotational weight.

Read this after my last post above.....  You are wrong in the assumption that the G-Sport nipples are the same as regular alloy nipples.  Very wrong, in fact.  For me, it isn't about them being lighter weight than brass nipples.  It is their ability to lace up the wheel with the most tension in the spokes humanly possible.  In the words of Adam22........walk with me.......

So one time I wanted to lace up the tightest god damn spoke tension allowed by the force of Joe Rich's dread locks.  I used G-Sport nipples with the copper anti seize that comes with Odyssey cranks.  I laced the wheel up as tight as I could with my fingers/provided spoke tool.  THEN, thanks to the 6mm hex head on the nipples, I used my handy dandy hand held impact drill to finish the job.  AHHHH, I can still hear that lovely sound of "TINK TINK TINK TINK" of the impact gun.  The wheels were seriously the best wheels I ever built.  You couldn't even get one spoke to flex.  This was 100% due to using the G-Sport nipples.  No other nipple, be it brass or alloy, would have been able to stand up to that.

Spoke tension, bro.  Get you some. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
Just say no.

I did aluminum nipples once.  It's just not worth it.  I'm fully convinced that no combination of care, tooling and antisieze will prevent you from rounding them off if you care that your wheel is semi-true and are the least bit un-smooth.  It was worse than being married to a ginger.  Either one could ruin your day at a moments notice.

The g-sport nipples are most likely tons better, but you're still going to end up galling a few of them eventually to save like two ounces while you're possibly running 27 ounce tires.

If you're already on Kevlar bead tires, some stupid light rims, .8mm thick tubes and titanium spokes, cool. have fun. Otherwise there are less painful ways to save rotational weight.

Read this after my last post above.....  You are wrong in the assumption that the G-Sport nipples are the same as regular alloy nipples.  Very wrong, in fact.  For me, it isn't about them being lighter weight than brass nipples.  It is their ability to lace up the wheel with the most tension in the spokes humanly possible.  In the words of Adam22........walk with me.......

So one time I wanted to lace up the tightest god damn spoke tension allowed by the force of Joe Rich's dread locks.  I used G-Sport nipples with the copper anti seize that comes with Odyssey cranks.  I laced the wheel up as tight as I could with my fingers/provided spoke tool.  THEN, thanks to the 6mm hex head on the nipples, I used my handy dandy hand held impact drill to finish the job.  AHHHH, I can still hear that lovely sound of "TINK TINK TINK TINK" of the impact gun.  The wheels were seriously the best wheels I ever built.  You couldn't even get one spoke to flex.  This was 100% due to using the G-Sport nipples.  No other nipple, be it brass or alloy, would have been able to stand up to that.

Spoke tension, bro.  Get you some.
I run my shit pretty tight.  Empire built my current wheels (I've heard Tom builds pretty tight wheels) then after riding them for about a week I put about another turn and a half into them.  I do generally like to make sure they can deflect at least a little though because I'm concerned about deforming the hub shell, or even pulling the flange off completely (I think I've seen a picture of that on here).

I've never used Gsport nipples, so I'm not really trying to say anything good or bad about them.  I haven't had too much of an issue with brass nipples, but the one thing they have that both normal alloy and g-sport nipples don't, is that when I do round one off or (in the case of alloys) seize one to a spoke, I can just run around the corner to my shitty LBS and get a new one.

My primary problem with alloy nipples (Gsport or not) is galling.  Yes, disciplined use of appropriate thread lubricants can almost completely eliminate that issue; however, it almost never fails that if I'm truing a wheel and round a nipple, when I replace it I forget to lubricate it, then next time I go to true the wheel that nipple is seized.  Brass is self lubricating and minimizes that failure mode.

Maybe the G-sport nipples being 7075 minimizes that issue (I'm almost certain 7075 is harder), but it comes back to possibly being more risky then it's worth.  Back to my ginger analogy: yes, they are wild as fuck in bed; yes you look like a bad motherfucker being seen with them, but their natural tendency to go thermonuclear and fuck your whole week up makes the cost benefit difficult to justify.

Let me just quantify my whole position really quick; I like straight wheels.  I toss my wheels into a stand every time they come off the bike.  If you only fuck with your wheels when they get bad enough to become a problem, your mileage may vary.

I am starting to think that I want to try Gsport nipples now though.

Offline Owen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Why is rotating weight an issue on a BMX wheel?  lolz.  You are not climbing l'Alp d'huez on it, time trialling, or riding it like a road bike in any way whatsoever.

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Why is rotating weight an issue on a BMX wheel?  lolz.  You are not climbing l'Alp d'huez on it, time trialling, or riding it like a road bike in any way whatsoever.

No, but you're trying to go fast and change direction with two huge gyroscopes attached.

I mean yeah, if you're of the bars to feeble to ice pick to whip to manual on an 18 inch ledge type, or if you're really really good and could braaap the fuck out on a Schwinn beach cruiser, it most likely doesn't matter.

I like to go fast, but suck and need all the help I can get.  My bike feels noticeably more difficult to ride going from 24oz tires (Hawk P-lytes) to 28 oz tires (Aitken non P-lytes).

Offline Owen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:15 AM »
Define 'fast'.  I don't feel the difference on my road wheels when I switch from a 1400g pair to a 950g pair, until I get above about 35kmph.

Bunny hopping, and any trick that derives from that must be easier with a lighter bike, but rotating weight on a slow moving, small wheeled bike...   I don't buy it.

Offline blueee

• Dumbest, Ugliest, Rattiest spot searching master on bikeguide
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=141705194
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
my bike feels so god damn light and nimble right now, i fucking love it. im running a god damn 8oz plastic seat thingybob just cuase it feels so damn nice.

but yeah, ive spent a lot of time truing wheels and have gotten pretty good at not rounding off the brass ones, even on shit old wheels. i accidentally rounded off a tad bit of a nipon my rear wheel during the build, marked it off, and have been good since. hopefully ill be alright

anyone know what happened to newjerseyken? i was supposed to buy a grim reaper off him but when i asked him about being on the untrustworthy seller list, he then stopped contacting me
someone sell me a grim reaper, plz
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:26:32 PM by blueee »

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
I am really happy that people like my nipples. They were a huge ballache to develop and have never taken off as much as I would have liked, but I am very pleased with how they work and I am glad other people are too...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
I am really happy that people like my nipples.

Feel like a 7 year old laughing about that.

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
Define 'fast'.  I don't feel the difference on my road wheels when I switch from a 1400g pair to a 950g pair, until I get above about 35kmph.

Bunny hopping, and any trick that derives from that must be easier with a lighter bike, but rotating weight on a slow moving, small wheeled bike...   I don't buy it.

Go tabletop your road bike. 

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »

Feel like a 7 year old laughing about that.
For posterity

Offline Sasper

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
where can they be bought in europe / uk?

"The Great 2013 Bikeguide Suicide Re-format"

:)
G.

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
And I will also agree that light road bike wheels make a difference. BMX, not so much. Getting ultimate acceleration isn't an issue when you're just dropping into a bowl.
I don't think I'm being clear with my issues with tire/wheel weight.  I completely agree that just dropping in, or cranking down the street, I don't notice it.

If I'm riding slow, and like tapletop off a few stairs or somethingz I don't notice it.

When I'm hauling ass, and the wheels get a lot of angular momentum, motowhips, tabletops and any sort of rotation( that's about the limit of my skill set) feel really really sluggish with the heavier tires.

If I didn't suck, I might not notice.  If I didn't know shit about gyroscopes or angular momentum, I would write it off to being too high or sleepy or something.  However, it does drive me batshit.  Not batshit enough to fight alloy nipples again, but enought to not run those tires.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
G sport nipple you torque more on the shitty ones than the g sport nips

What
It has to do with rotational weight.  Now go fuck off.

What are you even on about the g sport nipples are easier to tighten than the shitty ones you normally use, which I clearly stated many days ago.

Suck today's dick though right

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special