Multimedia

Author Topic: people from chicago - where to live, where to go?  (Read 7028 times)

Offline jtr

• former eraserhead
    • View Profile
people from chicago - where to live, where to go?
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »
hello
i just graduated with a minor in etching and printmaking here in vienna
and have long thought about moving to chicago, at least for a while.

where am i supposed to look for a place, are there districts, corners or blocks i dont/want to be.

and does anyone here have an idea of how the saic art university is? any good? worth studying or at least applying there? i can't get a clue from the homepage.

thank you, i appreshiate avery word i'm given

Offline JFax

• View Profile
Re: people from chicago - where to live, where to go?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »
Minor in etching? Wow, didn't think you could get an education like that anymore at a uni.

Cant tell you anything about Chicago other than that one of my BMX friend is moving there himself in a couple of weeks.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Sebastian

• Tullingsworth
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
A lot of people will say avoid the South Side, and you probably should.  I've had friends that lived there but it seems like it can get pretty gnarly if you walk onto the wrong block.

Pilsen and Logan Square are probably where you want to look as far as affordable neighborhoods that have things to do.  But there's a ton of interesting neighborhoods, I'm sure an actual Chicago dude on here would be of more help.

Hell, Logan Square might actually be as blown-out with yuppies as Wicker Park by now.  It was about three years ago now that I lived there.  I dug Chicago, though, had a pretty good time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:52:21 PM by Sebastian »

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
I'm from Chicago but live in Texas. BikeMutts and Sloppy live in Humbolt Park, which is ok. Logan Square is hippy as fuck but affordable same as Wicker Park. Pilsen has changed alot and is not bad. Rodgers Park is nice and affordable and has all the Loyola University Ladies. You really do not want to be south of Interstate 55. My grandfather lived in Norwood Park which is like 20 minutes to the loop and that is kind of like suburbia.

Offline jaythomas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
humbolt park is probably not a good choice. logan square, wicker park, ukranian village, irving park, pilsen or west town are all good choices if you need to be close to downtown. they are all within riding distance of everything. you can find an apartment for pretty cheap but it wont be super nice. if you dont mind taking a train, pretty much anywhere is an option. the public transportation is really good and covers the city and most of the suburbs. as far as suburbs go, oak park is the nicest. also consider lincolnwood, north park, skokie, norwood, park ridge or jefferson park. they are all a 20-30 min train ride from downtown and are pretty good neighborhoods.

the art institute is a really good school. the museum is amazing.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
humbolt park is probably not a good choice. logan square, wicker park, ukranian village, irving park, pilsen or west town are all good choices if you need to be close to downtown. they are all within riding distance of everything. you can find an apartment for pretty cheap but it wont be super nice. if you dont mind taking a train, pretty much anywhere is an option. the public transportation is really good and covers the city and most of the suburbs. as far as suburbs go, oak park is the nicest. also consider lincolnwood, north park, skokie, norwood, park ridge or jefferson park. they are all a 20-30 min train ride from downtown and are pretty good neighborhoods.

the art institute is a really good school. the museum is amazing.

I agree on humbolt but them guys have had not issues in 2 years so

Offline jtr

• former eraserhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
thanks, guys...
you helped me out a lot allready even tho i still don't have any idea but at least i can't end up in a mess now!

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
thanks, guys...
you helped me out a lot allready even tho i still don't have any idea but at least i can't end up in a mess now!

Also only the Blue and Red Lines of the "EL" run all day everyday

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
hh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:05:10 PM by PabstBlueRibbon »

Offline MilkyWilky

• www.marcsist.com
    • View Profile
    • Marcsist
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
For what it's worth @trucksoflogansquare is just the most raw and real of all Instagram feeds.

Viel glück!

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special