Multimedia

Author Topic: New odyssey stampy video  (Read 36601 times)

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
Re: New odyssey stampy video
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
(...)
The industry standard tests biggest problem is that they dont mount the fork in a headset, they clamp the steerer directly. This is absolutely ridiculous and makes the test almost completely worthless. Since we started testing this way several MTB companies have followed suit and now test using a proper headset mounting.
(...)

I would say there is one factor that is about 100x times more ridiculous than 'unreal industry standards'

It is.... to allow outsourcing R&D guys, engineers, agents, official EN testing center engineers - seting up your babies, your products, allowing them to install products into jigs before starting the test. Most of them never rode a bike. If they rode a bike, they never jumped. If they jumped, than maybe the curb, they never rode real BMX.

Of course you can prepare detailed guides about setting up position, angle, tightening torque for your tested products, sketches, drawings, video-guides, anything you want. But there are 10x more setups and cases possible with testing machine elements / jigs than with your products itself. Comparing bars of different width would you setup up them with same width or same distance from the bar ends? Both could be ok depends what you plan to compare/test.

Then easier one, but not always - setting up the machine program itself. I saw so many screw-ups.

I saw so many RIDICULOUS testing done. E.g. comparison fatigue test of saddle+seatpost set of two brands. But the setup, jigs used, and especially the way they bolted saddle + post togeother was so ridiculous, screwed up, upside down. You could immediatelly notice that certified testing center personal never rode ANY bike. They were under influence of HEAVY DRUGS, Im sure.

I think that if you are not there (in Taiwan or somewhere) playing with your babies and competiton products - the test does not count! Only testing done 'inhouse' make sens in long-term.

G: any comments on the different frequence ;) ?

The dude that sets everything up for the Odyssey Stampy tests is a BMXer.  He isn't a jumper, I guess you could say.  But more of a modern day street dude.  And even though it doesn't make a lick of difference, he shreds hard.  He works for Odyssey/Full Factory family.  So you could sort of say the testing IS done in house.  And he 110% knows his way around a BMX bike and how to properly put it together.  Not too many BMX brands can say this about having an employee in Taiwan 365 days a year. 

Also, he doesn't do drugs.  I offered him some of mine and he declined with a smile.  Does smoke hella cigs though. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »

G: any comments on the different frequence ;) ?

You are right the frequency was increased after the first 50k cycles (I think, going from memory here). This was to give everything a chance to settle in before ramping up.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline erenes80

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »

The dude that sets everything up for the Odyssey Stampy tests is a BMXer.  He isn't a jumper, I guess you could say.  But more of a modern day street dude.  And even though it doesn't make a lick of difference, he shreds hard.  He works for Odyssey/Full Factory family.  So you could sort of say the testing IS done in house.  And he 110% knows his way around a BMX bike and how to properly put it together.  Not too many BMX brands can say this about having an employee in Taiwan 365 days a year. 

Also, he doesn't do drugs.  I offered him some of mine and he declined with a smile.  Does smoke hella cigs though.

My comments were not about G. / Odsy testing. Just general comments about fatigue testing and some testing I saw in Taiwan. Sorry for my poor english.

Offline Allah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 03:35:36 AM »
The Bonedeth version, "torture testing":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHEq7rfBDcY
"Who knows what Ruben actually does?" Garrett Byrnes

45th Generation Roman.

Offline RAILS!

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »
The Bonedeth version, "torture testing":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHEq7rfBDcY

There's some clips in there from Milton Keynes which are literally fucking ridiculous. I trust bonedeth.
Quote from: Liam;3498857
You need to calm down before you end up eating your own sh*t in a cave with a tinfoil hat on.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special