Multimedia

Author Topic: Transition Bottlerocket?  (Read 16758 times)

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
Transition Bottlerocket?
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
Guys that ride full suspension MTB's, looking at getting a Bottlerocket as there's one somewhat local to me for decently cheap (about 1200). Fox suspension, blah blah. here's the ad. Let me know if it's a decent deal or not.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1674965/
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline Bink

• Douglas Terrance Fischer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Transition Bottlerocket?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
$1250 for the complete bike? I'd say that's a great deal, especially with a Fox 36. Go for it.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:42:36 PM »
Thanks Bink.

I'm not totally opposed to other medium travel bikes, but I'd like to stay in the 1000ish budget range. I would only really be getting out maybe once a month to ride. What are my other options?

Offline Bink

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
My best advice would be to keep up on the PB Buy/Sell. The Bottlerocket is definitely a good option as it's 26" and "outdated", so they're selling rather cheap. The NS Soda FR would be a good option too, but they tend to sell for fairly high prices.

Are you set on a mid travel rig? Or would you consider a slopestyle frame? I was using a Banshee Rampant (100mm rear travel with a 140mm fork) on everything from pump tracks to XC to DH last summer without any problems, though my frame did eventually crack (I bought used and it cracked where many other Rampants have broken, to be fair). I mention slopestyle bikes because they often sell for much cheaper than mid-travel bikes and there's usually a number of them for sale on PB. Plus they can be a lot of fun depending on your local terrain. Speaking of which, what type of trails will you be doing?

Offline Bink

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
I forgot to mention to check out the Banshee Wildcard. It's a mid travel freeride/big hit slopestyle bike that's similar to the Bottlerocket: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1615267/

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Bink, given that there isn't much "big hit" stuff in Ontario, slopestyle or mid range travel stuff would work. How's the Kona Bass? Found one for about 860

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Also, Blue Mountain will be where I use it.

Offline joelite44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
thats a downhill oriented slope style less trails riding and climbing kind of bike. its got a nice price tag but not the nicest. As bink stated, keep up on the look out for bikes. http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11520523/

what style of riding will you be riding with your future mtb?

Offline RidingBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 04:09:52 PM »
Cole, I used to shred the FUCK out of my bottlerocket until I recently sold it.  I blew out the rear shock and sold it as is for $1000.  I'd say the one you posted is a good deal.

I can't recommend the bottlerocket enough.  I fucking LOVED that thing.  My rear and front shock were able to lock up, so it made it super easy to climb on it, and it shredded the downhill like nothing, too. Also, I can't even begin to describe how awesome it felt to jump this thing.  Super steady in the air and it jumped like a bmx, but could keep up with the full downhill bikes coming down the mountain.

I used it a ton on lift access trails, but I also used it in an almost xc fashion on my local trails.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Offline Bink

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
Bink, given that there isn't much "big hit" stuff in Ontario, slopestyle or mid range travel stuff would work. How's the Kona Bass? Found one for about 860

I've never ridden one, nor do I know much about it. As far as I can tell online, it's a decent frame. Some other bikes worth considering: Rocky Mountain Slayer SS, Specialized SX (the 100mm travel version), Transition Double, Diamondback 4x/Slopestyle, Scott Voltage (adjustable travel, very versatile), Black Market Roam, Yeti 4x, and I hesitantly recommend the Banshee Rampant. It appears to occasionally crack on the pivot weld above the BB, which happened to mine, and it uses bushings instead of bearings in the pivots, but I really loved the feel of that frame. My bike felt like an oversized BMX bike, but with the stability of the big wheels. They're also had for a reasonable price on PB, especially since many of them are in Canada.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »

I have a Transition Double. It's the 4"/4" travel bike, while I think the Bottle Rocket was 6"/6".   I think the Double handles great.  So I guess it depends what kind of terrain you're on, whether you need 6" of travel.

Offline RidingBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »
Cole, buy that fucking bottlerocket.  You won't regret it.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
Seat tube looks skinny, is it a 27.2? Might be if its a play bike, if thats the case then you couldntfit a reverb and the available dropper options are all horrible. Might be a consideration...?

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:06 PM »
Meat, not really up on any new MTB stuff. By dropper do you mean a setpost that's adjustable on the fly?

Anyhow, sent the dude a message, I'll be paying for it Friday and anxiously awaiting the day it gets shipped

Offline Finn the Human

• Algebraic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:42 AM »
Meat, not really up on any new MTB stuff. By dropper do you mean a setpost that's adjustable on the fly?

Yeah, it has a mount on the bars to adjust it. You're looking at a minimum of £170 for a new one over here.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:42 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello