Multimedia

Author Topic: Keychain help  (Read 35321 times)

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
Re: Keychain help
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
Why's it rusted up already?  Did you leave it outside in the rain or something?

I'm about to purchase a keychain for one of my bikes to test it out and see how it works I think.

Traveling for shows I have my bike on the bikerack outside my car. Sucks getting rained on but eh, a little water never hurt anything

Offline Thomas031

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
Still, be wary of rust though.

Parts can still fail when allowed to rust.

Remember that forks cranks frames can rust from the inside out as well :)
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity" - Carlin

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

Right on bro, that makes good sense. Thanks!

Offline I <3 Gore.

• is a hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Because I am lazy and don't want to make a duplicate thread. The link next to the half master-link exploded, sending my master-link, half-link and several rollers flying. The chain is maybe a month old and gets ridden mostly to and from class and the grocery store. Why does it cost 10 dollars plus shipping every time you break the chain? WHY?

Offline Alice Glass

• is a schmuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
So, you're saying... User error?

Never in hell have I ever had problems using my old hub/sprocket combo after getting a new chain, whether its a kmc/shadow/cult/sram. This whole "user error, our customers are retarded" way of thinking G has is getting ridiculous.

Offline Thomas031

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »

Right on bro, that makes good sense. Thanks!

Thought i'd mention, seeing as you said you ride shows. Parts generally get a good beating in those settings, hence being careful.

I always thought about teflon spraying my frames before assembling, but never did so. Never actually had something break that suggested i'd do so, but it's not a bad idea if you're afraid water/moisture might build up.

Sucks to pay 10 bucks for a new link.
Exactly the sort of stuff that keeps me from buying 1st gen products.

User errors are something companies have to defend themselves with by using good manuals.
Think of shadow and their 1st gen halflink chain direction mystery.

IF it's product failure, Odyssey is supposed to have good warranty, and i reckon that in the first phase of a product hitting the market, they might be prepared to listen and might offer you something that may have been improved- if you're lucky.
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity" - Carlin

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 09:28:16 AM »
So, you're saying... User error?

Never in hell have I ever had problems using my old hub/sprocket combo after getting a new chain, whether its a kmc/shadow/cult/sram. This whole "user error, our customers are retarded" way of thinking G has is getting ridiculous.

You are attributing these comments to me, even though I never said anything of the sort? Dont you think that's somewhat unreasonable?

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
Because I am lazy and don't want to make a duplicate thread. The link next to the half master-link exploded, sending my master-link, half-link and several rollers flying. The chain is maybe a month old and gets ridden mostly to and from class and the grocery store. Why does it cost 10 dollars plus shipping every time you break the chain? WHY?

I am sorry if you are having problems, how many times have you had this happen? If you in any way think that your chain may be faulty then please contact warranty and we will be very happy to look at it. If you have previously ordered a masterlink kit then I would have thought we could sort something out or cut you a deal on the next one.

The new masterlink kit should be just under $9 and that's on our own store where we cant discount without annoying shops, hopefully shops will start carrying these when the chain is more established and you will be able to pick one up a little more cheaply and without shipping costs.

The keychain has been in development for a very very long time, and generally speaking we have seen very very few JRA type incidents, there are no modifications or V2's in the works. (though we are looking at doing slightly longer ones for non-BMX use). 

I hope this sounds reasonable.

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline I <3 Gore.

• is a hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
I am sorry if you are having problems, how many times have you had this happen? If you in any way think that your chain may be faulty then please contact warranty and we will be very happy to look at it. If you have previously ordered a masterlink kit then I would have thought we could sort something out or cut you a deal on the next one.

The keychain has been in development for a very very long time, and generally speaking we have seen very very few JRA type incidents, there are no modifications or V2's in the works. (though we are looking at doing slightly longer ones for non-BMX use). 

G.

Honestly, I had no problems with it up until now. I don't ride pegs, and ride a full guard sprocket. It was literally out of the blue and I can't exactly pinpoint which failed, the master-link or the link next to it.

the threads on the master-link pin completely sheared off
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:38:01 PM by I <3 Gore. »

Offline I <3 Gore.

• is a hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 02:11:25 AM »
I'd also like to add that your "proprietary" chain breaker does not work correctly with the hollow pin chain. The plate stop has too small of a hole and does not allow the pin through, pretty suck because the breaker BROKE without it.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 06:00:16 AM »
I'd also like to add that your "proprietary" chain breaker does not work correctly with the hollow pin chain. The plate stop has too small of a hole and does not allow the pin through, pretty suck because the breaker BROKE without it.

Sorry to hear that. We did have some faulty ones in the last batch with this problem, we will be happy to warranty it for you.

G.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 06:03:37 AM »

G.

Honestly, I had no problems with it up until now. I don't ride pegs, and ride a full guard sprocket. It was literally out of the blue and I can't exactly pinpoint which failed, the master-link or the link next to it.

the threads on the master-link pin completely sheared off

Sorry to hear that. Obviously a blurry photo isn't going to tell the full story here but if you think there was any kind of design or manufacturing fault then please send it back for warranty. If it has a huge donk in it from hitting something then that is likely the cause (and obviously the threaded pin cant pull out like a normal rivet so some sort of break is expected) but if not then it would be good to have it back and try to work out the cause.

I hope this makes sense and seems reasonable.

G.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
I seem to have lost one of the rollers from the master link. Will a roller from a normal chain fit in there? Or should I order a master pin from Empire?

Offline I <3 Gore.

• is a hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Obviously a blurry photo isn't going to tell the full story here but if you think there was any kind of design or manufacturing fault then please send it back for warranty. If it has a huge donk in it from hitting something then that is likely the cause (and obviously the threaded pin cant pull out like a normal rivet so some sort of break is expected) but if not then it would be good to have it back and try to work out the cause.

I hope this makes sense and seems reasonable.

G.

I'll send it and the breaker back to you guys, from what I can gather-ie looking at the bits that broke-it seems like the threads broke on the 1/2 link, which wrenched on the adjacent riveted link breaking said link. I'll try to take a better pic later.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »
I seem to have lost one of the rollers from the master link. Will a roller from a normal chain fit in there? Or should I order a master pin from Empire?

Standard rollers work fine.

George

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello