Multimedia

Author Topic: Keychain help  (Read 35327 times)

Danno

Re: Keychain help
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »
I might be wrong, but isn't the key chain a bit larger than other chains? It could be making more noise than usual because the previous chains were very similar so bedded in quickly, whereas this might take a bit longer. It's just one of those things.

Offline RighteousBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »
Wish I had an offset teeth sprocket, I think my Keychain is loud because of the chain alignment being slightly off. It does quiet down after a few hours of riding, though.

Offline stevefromtexas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »
Wish I had an offset teeth sprocket, I think my Keychain is loud because of the chain alignment being slightly off. It does quiet down after a few hours of riding, though.

Yea Ben messing wit it all morning I think that is the problem I'm having. I have a tree speoket they say that is has offset teeth I think I'm going to try the l7 I got the profile spline drive cranks so there are only a few sprockets I can choose from.

Offline Thomas031

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Typically any half link chain will come up as needing replacement if you check it with this tool after just a few weeks of riding, that's how bad it is.

:)
G.
I just got the chain yesterday so haven't rode it yet just rode it out front of my house for a min or to and makes this crazy noise. When I got my shadow chain in May did not make any noise and the speoket and driver where older just don't understand why it is doing that.

There's your answer.

Give a Shadow chain half a summer to wear in and it'll eat your sprocket.
Back when i was pretty fanatic, i had a setup with a wayy overbuilt KHE chain and a new sprocket. Didn't stretch.

Sprockets that have had strechy chains can be easily spotted; compare them to a new sprocket, and look at the angle and the outer profile of the teeth and the parts inbetween. They will likely have become pretty wide.

I have never trusted halflink chains after my first one kept breaking at the plate bend.

Like G so magnificently said, halflink chains stretch in two ways. The plates stretch like a bitch, and when they're done, the pins start coming loose (which i've seen happen more than i think is funny).
I nearly wanted to post G's statement on FB, just for the amount of fools that keep buying these shit products.

Go e-mail Shadow instead.
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity" - Carlin

Offline stevefromtexas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
Typically any half link chain will come up as needing replacement if you check it with this tool after just a few weeks of riding, that's how bad it is.

:)
G.
I just got the chain yesterday so haven't rode it yet just rode it out front of my house for a min or to and makes this crazy noise. When I got my shadow chain in May did not make any noise and the speoket and driver where older just don't understand why it is doing that.

There's your answer.

Give a Shadow chain half a summer to wear in and it'll eat your sprocket.
Back when i was pretty fanatic, i had a setup with a wayy overbuilt KHE chain and a new sprocket. Didn't stretch.

Sprockets that have had strechy chains can be easily spotted; compare them to a new sprocket, and look at the angle and the outer profile of the teeth and the parts inbetween. They will likely have become pretty wide.

I have never trusted halflink chains after my first one kept breaking at the plate bend.

Like G so magnificently said, halflink chains stretch in two ways. The plates stretch like a bitch, and when they're done, the pins start coming loose (which i've seen happen more than i think is funny).
I nearly wanted to post G's statement on FB, just for the amount of fools that keep buying these shit products.

Go e-mail Shadow instead.

Yea I did that a while ago told them there chain sucks never heard back from them haha I had the cult chain to it also sucks but better than the shadow chain. I got the keychain working good now I had to re space my cranks a bit works good now probley  one of the best chain out there.

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
So much punctuation needed in this thread.

Offline stevefromtexas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
Yea good ol iPhone sorry about that.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:08 PM »
So much punctuation needed in this thread.

Shut it and go be a social studies teacher.  We have plenty of english majors in this bitch. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
I hate the kids who buy shadow chains

Offline Prodigal Son

• has no pubes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
I've never been happier than the relationship I'm in with my shadow chain.

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
My observations on the keychain:

They are crazy sensitive to being too tight, and make a ton of noise if they are.  I run mine just barely tight enough to not slap.

They need to be lubed straight out the box.  I use that wax like chain lube you get at Walmart.

They creak if the master links are too tight.  I back mine off about a quarter turn from fully snug.  But I also check it pretty regularly to make sure its not loose.

I have one of the first batch and I love it.

Offline stevefromtexas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
I got mine working pretty good now rode it for the first time today mine was lubed up nice when I got it. got the master link had tight I think I also have the new bach I just got it 3 days ago.

Offline metalbmxer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
I have a first batch hollow keychain and it is fucken legit. I run it super tight and use loads of pedal pressure. Also, it is rusted to hell. And you know what? It runs like a champ! No odd sounds or roughness at all!

Offline Bunky

• Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
Why's it rusted up already?  Did you leave it outside in the rain or something?

I'm about to purchase a keychain for one of my bikes to test it out and see how it works I think. 
Quote from: G
this website is essentially an irrelevant back-water of the internet

Offline peggiesmalls

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
Im waiting for my new build to get one:(

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special