Multimedia

Author Topic: Anybody ride DH here?  (Read 17504 times)

Offline rickylarryyy

• View Profile
Anybody ride DH here?
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
Rode DH at winter park a month or so ago. Raddest thing I have ever done. Definitely getting a season pass next year. Hoping to get some races under my belt next summer for sure.

Two wheels, going fast, and dirt. Close enough to BMX right?!

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ride DH here?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
Downhill is awesome. What do you ride?

I neglected my bmx for about 4 months while I rode DH 3-4 times a week. Once I got back on the bmx my bike control had improved hugely.

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »
Yeah, I've gone the last 5 years in a row, and brought quite a few bmx and xc-mtb friends into it....  I think a lot of BMX'ers still aren't aware of the radness going on in the mountains.  This shit IS "bicycle motocross" !!   A ton of the guys, at least in the Colorado scene, are crossover BMX/MTB riders.  Anyone with BMX trails or BMX race skills will roast DH.   But, I advise.... wear the gear... I got my first ever knockout (with a Protec on) and separated collarbone this past July.

Cheyenne Brad, checking out "Hot Wheels" at Winter Park before it officially opened:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:21:08 AM by cmc4130 »

Offline Scunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:26 AM »
Rode DH for 6 years till I went to Uni and got a BMX. Raced a few NPS but stopped all that when I lived in sheff and didn't have a car. Would love to start again but with trying to fit in Road, XC, Motorbike, Dogs, Girlfriend and work i've got no chance.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:58:03 AM »
I've got a shitty old giant i wheel out every few months, just booking flights for an annual group outing to spain next month. Burly over there, the rocks don't fuck about, big, pointy and numerous.

A mates edit of our wobbly gopro footage... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9wukvwVuQ&list=UUi1Gz0Fj7YKlk9u0JHPibuA

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »
Used to do quite a bit but moving to the city and not having a car put a stop to that sadly.

Offline rickylarryyy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »
I definitely feel like riding DH and riding the edge forces you to learn a good amount of bike control and if you are coming from a BMX background it just feels natural! Winter park is only a 1.5 hours from my house so I will be going as much as possible.

Offline rickylarryyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
hugh I feel the same way, I love riding my 20 but getting on a full on DH rig is awesome because of the abilities it has. so many more options of terrain and nasty stuff. Also, my wrists and knees love it.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
Not tried a proper DH bike on a DH course, but I ride my full sus MTB down hills (and up) and it is definitely fun... plus you NEVER get snaked by a scooter...

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline cmc4130

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
I definitely feel like riding DH and riding the edge forces you to learn a good amount of bike control and if you are coming from a BMX background it just feels natural! Winter park is only a 1.5 hours from my house so I will be going as much as possible.

I feel like for flow DH, a 4" and 4" slopestyle or 4x bike, or a 6"/6", work well.  Some of the 8"/8" bikes feel like overkill on the smoother jump trails (except that some of the trail gets super brake-rutted).  But definitely appreciated for the rough trails.

I want to check out this trail in Washington State:
Lars Shreds the Double On Unemployment Line
vimeo.com/50998782

I rode my Transition Double at Angel Fire earlier this year.  Second weekend of the season and we got some snow at the top. 

The 4x track was closed, but I really wanted to hit it.

was a pretty solid drive....

8)

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
You need to have a crack on one G, they're far more than the sum of their parts, when compared to pretty much any trail bike. You have to totally reconfigure your idea of speed and whats possible, then ride like a total spazz to make them come to life. I couldn't go back to ridig dh exclusively like I did when I was a youth,  but it's amazing to go out and smash a big bike about every so often.

Offline _tom_

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tom_the_beast
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »
I ride DH, just built up my 2nd Scott Voltage and I hope I don't have to sell this one to pay for bills like the old one. It's so fun, I haven't ridden BMX for years now. Spent a summer in Whistler and it was pretty much the best thing I've done in my life.

Danno

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »
I've got a shitty old giant i wheel out every few months, just booking flights for an annual group outing to spain next month. Burly over there, the rocks don't fuck about, big, pointy and numerous.

A mates edit of our wobbly gopro footage... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9wukvwVuQ&list=UUi1Gz0Fj7YKlk9u0JHPibuA

Had any luck with getting the bikes on the plane for free this year? I called Monarch a couple of weeks ago to see if the offer was on again and they wouldn't confirm anything. The sales lady wasn't having any of it when I tried to get her to do it as a one off.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
Used to have a DH bike but sold it about 5 years ago due to working 2 jobs, going to school and the only decent hill around me was a 2 and a half hour drive and always so busy it just wasn't worth it to make the drive.

Definitely looking to get back into it soon though. Might pick up a new rig over the winter.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »

Had any luck with getting the bikes on the plane for free this year? I called Monarch a couple of weeks ago to see if the offer was on again and they wouldn't confirm anything. The sales lady wasn't having any of it when I tried to get her to do it as a one off.

Nah but it was only 30 quid ish and that still makes them way cheaper than the alternatives, just need to be super careful with weights, because they absolutely reamed us for excess baggage last year. Probably mostly our fault for turning up about 30 secs before check in closed....

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello