Multimedia

Author Topic: Shred! Extreme mountain biking (awesome game/app)  (Read 27061 times)

Offline alaskun

• View Profile
Re: Shred! Extreme mountain biking (awesome game/app)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »

What game is that?

dave mirra 2 on ps2.   I've got all the level editor slots full, so probably 40 something different parks like that... I'll send people memory cards if they prove they've got the game and a ps2

dmfbmx had the best controls, everything else was just dumb even with controllers... I can't imagine that phone/tablet games would feel very good
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:31:04 PM by alaskun »

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:15 AM »
Not overly a fan. Hate games where tilting is the only option. Would rather be able to just use the on screen buttons.

I wish I could change the camera angle, makes tilting the phone a bit unintuitive...

:)
G.

I barely use tilt function, use the lefthand buttons instead. It works well on some bits, but unlike pumped, you'll find yourself making a lot of small, quick adjustments, rather than just being smooth. Like I said, stick with it....  And cheers for investing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:40:19 AM by MEAT »

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 04:40:47 AM »
I want my money back.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
Not overly a fan. Hate games where tilting is the only option. Would rather be able to just use the on screen buttons.

I wish I could change the camera angle, makes tilting the phone a bit unintuitive...

G.

I barely use tilt function, use the lefthand buttons instead. It works well on some bits, but unlike pumped, you'll find yourself making a lot of small, quick adjustments, rather than just being smooth. Like I said, stick with it....  And cheers for investing.

Didn't know you could do that. Where the hell are the instructions?

Bit disappointed that the "kickstarter" pitch had course editors and being able to drive the uplift etc, but none of this is present. As a "beta" it is pretty good, but I think its a bit premature to be charging (even if it is only a pound).

G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
Feedback appreciated all, apart from tom, you can suck a scabby dick.

G, true it is at more of a beta stage, but... 'Release early, update often' as they say, to his credit he's been banging out the updates probably every other day and working full time on various bug fixes and feedback hes had on levels.
Dont forget this is a guy who's quit his decidedly averagely job rendering pictures of electricity substations a few mths ago to work on this full time, therefore there was a big financial requirement to get this out asap and before he went broke. Until it was publicly released the testing team included me and another guy playing it on pcs occasionally while we should've been working, he didnt have the feedback and technical back up most other developers would've had behind them, yet considering this its rolled out without any real drama.

I know the tutorials arent descriptive enough, actually they probably are, but you need to be paying attention during the loading screens, which no one does, that needs fixing. Ernies a design and rendering guy, whos worked on this for a long time, so what seems obvious to him/us probably isnt to anyone else coming at it fresh or from pumped, if you've managed to miss the rotate arrows entirely then clearly they need more work...

Originally it was designed without the tilt function, you used the two left hand rotate arrows to do all the fore/aft weight shifting, the tilt thing was added to make it more familar to pumped users i guess, i dont use it and hate it personally, it doesnt suit the pace of the game and you cant make adjustments fast enough.

The uplift truck along with a bunch of other stuff is going in the next level pack, again 1 guy working on it, he had enough on his plate releasing something so much more complex than his previous daft smoking app. Hes done well enough financially out of the release to keep on working on it full time for the foreseeable future, so you can expect it to change/improve significantly.

Hes working on the menus at the moment, which are apparently a total cunt to deal with at his end, but when they're done he'll be back on the game play and rest of it, any feedback or suggestions on any aspect of it (ie a great big button to turn off the fucking "dyuuuude!"s) or ways of clarifying the tutorial would all be appreciated... from any of you.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »
Meat, after playing it a bunch more today, here's what I've noticed.

- Put in an option to turn off the tilt entirely, so I only need to worry about the buttons. I hate having to hold the phone steady to be able to play
-Again with the tilt, maybe it's a glitch or maybe it's intended, but it just goes haywire and I can't adjust for it no matter whether I'm pushing the arrows or tilting my phone the opposite way.
- In the menus, make an option to turn off the sound

That's all i have really. I don't know if you can tell or not, but I have a huge beef against tilt dependent games. Despite that, I paid the dollar or whatever to unlock the next park because I really want to see this game do well and get better. Apart from my complaints about the tilt, I played it at every chance I got today.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
I think I was paying attention and the hints seemed to me to say that I had to tilt the phone but I could use the buttons to tilt MORE...

I am finding the learning curve pretty steep. I haven't even begun to use the 4 trick buttons really and these have never been explained. (Seems like an instructions menu or whatever should be an easy thing to do compare to all the courses and physics etc.) I only make it to the end of a track in tact once in a blue moon so whenever I make it to a jump fast enough to try a trick I tend to err on the side of caution. Maybe if there were some shorter easier courses like a park track where you just had a couple of simple big jumps to learn on?
It is also pretty frustrating when you dont actually crash, but loose speed and cant carry on so end up restarting, be good if there was a way to turn around and pedal back to gain speed and try again.
It would also be good to have more instruction on when to pump and when to pedal for maximum effect. I suspect that there is a limit to how long is an optimum pump and I should be pedaling more...

I would also suggest that the angle forward and angle back buttons were replaced with a slider so that you can fine tune your balance. Just keep your thumb on it all the time and slide forwards a little to move your weight forward a little and back a bit for back a bit and .... you get the idea...

G.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
Tilt now defaults to off, there's a sensitivity control for it when it is on and the all important 'duuuude' button.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:09 AM »
^^^ That's going to help.

More feedback, but only meant constructively, not simply whining.

1. Not being able to see where you are because of trees etc in the fore-ground is really annoying.

2. Still no idea how to do a specific trick, seems fairly random what I get, I assume this is down to angle or something but still need instructions.

3. Star collection is getting pretty tough now, would like to progress to new levels without having to bang away at the levels that are annoying.

4. I seem to get a weird braking effect sometimes when I am trying to pump. Holding pump downhill and yet am slowing down?!?! Particularly on the "shredder" level which I am finding horrible.

G.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 02:10:35 AM »
^^^ That's going to help.

More feedback, but only meant constructively, not simply whining.

Taken as such, cheers g.

1. Not being able to see where you are because of trees etc in the fore-ground is really annoying.

Where abouts? I used to find this too, but I think you'll find as you get better and go faster this will be less of an issue.

2. Still no idea how to do a specific trick, seems fairly random what I get, I assume this is down to angle or something but still need instructions.

During the game, hit the menu button, there's a trick list? I think there needs to be a tutorial stage to highlight this and force you to do some specific tricks...
Note you the area around the trick button is quite wide, so you if you're going for a diagonal, you dont need to press on the arrows, you can press around them.

3. Star collection is getting pretty tough now, would like to progress to new levels without having to bang away at the levels that are annoying.

Now hes got the menu thing is done, one of the aims (among about 100,000 others) is to get a load of youtube walk throughs of the levels, so you can see where you need to pump, brake, pedal etc, there will be a link to this from within the game. I was going to do this myself but screen capturing off an android turns out to be a real cunt. Ill have another crack at it this weekend....

4. I seem to get a weird braking effect sometimes when I am trying to pump. Holding pump downhill and yet am slowing down?!?! Particularly on the "shredder" level which I am finding horrible.

G.

The braking glitch was an issue about a month or so back, but should be fixed, are you sure its not your chubby fingers hitting the brake?
Shredders a bastard no doubt, but once you've figured it out, its easy. I guess you'll be having problems on the bombhole, try tapping the brake abs style 2-3 times on the flat bit after the tree stump, then brake hard as you land on the wooden drop, come to a complete stop, wheelie off the edge, pump into the bombhole, land on the step up. Should be able to get through it cleanly 50% of the time doing this.

Offline Scunny

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 02:48:11 AM »
I started getting the brake glitch last night.

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
Hes looking into the glitch, is it on any specific track?

Also....

Walk through for those who suck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqu9toI2UI

excuse the horrible resolution, the best my shitty capture app could do.

Offline LowKey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
The game is fun. I like that it doesn't use the tilt if you don't want to like pumped does. I don't play games on my phone but I saw this post and gave it a try. I also ended up getting pumped after about an hour of this game just to see what it was all about and have something to compare it to, both games are fun for the phone but this one is easier to play right off. I found pumped keep me playing for longer sets of time but got me more frustrated on the difficulty of the tracks/levels. Both games play smooth on my Samsung Note 2 with no glitches or anything like that. I'm sure this game will only get better.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
Played some more, happy that tilt can be turned off, everything else I've noticed has been mentioned. Very fun to play but so frustrating at times. Guess I'm just not very good at it haha

One thing to note, is the menu is hard to navigate at the level selection, nothing major but whenever I press to scroll, it always goes to the higher levels. Maybe bring back the arrow key for it?
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Got to (and finished) the last level now.

The braking problem I had was mostly on shredder. I would set off and when pressing pump would seem to slow down a lot. I know there is a slo-mo bit over the first treestump, that's not what I am talking about. I could only get over the treestump about one in three times because of it. Wasn't a wankhandedness issue as I was on "pump" not pedal, miles from the actual brake.

The branches blocking the view are on a few levels (regardless of speed) but the one I particularly remembered was at the start of Wizards sleeve heading into the first bombhole.

I get a crash sometimes when I start a level, goes to a grey screen that normally comes up with a "tip" but its just blank and never progresses (even if you wait quite a long time, longer than you would expect any level to take to load).

Would be good to have the option to turn off the brake for levels that dont need it (nearly all of them).

Needs "urban" levels, steps, drainage ditches, roofs, reservoirs etc,
Water hazards?
start from a helicopter drop maybe on a few levels also.

G.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special