Multimedia

Author Topic: Dennis Enarson Cranks  (Read 32363 times)

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Enarson Cranks
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »
It costs less to make slits in the axle than to include a crank puller in the box. Plus they can market it as a "new innovative" design to make life easier for bmxers lol. Still don't like the new eclat aeon, and fuck 24mm cranks. Also the ratchet slot on the demolition cranks is useless. Not only is the bb going to shit the bed faster because it's 24mm, but also because kids are going to over tighten them 100%. I get enough torque with allen keys, I don't see a point of more. This is such a gimmick.

to who ever was talking about grease as the magical remedy, it's more of a necessity rather than anything else(any metal on metal should be greased). With tight cranks you will still have trouble even with grease. Thats why the animal cranks come with both grease and a crank puller. In other words, I can see how kids new to bmx can have trouble with 48 spline cranks. This is what the companies are banking for. They are trying to make money from the large, growing demographic of kids just entering bmx. You obviously wouldn't like the cranks or the idea, because you are not the target market. 

My 22mm Spline cranks worked totally fine for me. I'm currently riding free Macneil 19mm ones and theyre "okay", but I wouldnt by 19mm again. When you talk about people over tightening cranks and ruining BB's that has nothing to do with splines and everything to do with spacers between the bearing's. IF the splined design was so faulty we wouldnt see it in as many applications as its in.

Here is some stuff you did touch on though:

- Gimmicks
- User error
- Business and Ethics

and a bunch of words to string that shitty shit together. The spliner that makes the splines probably has splines.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »

Man you are pissing in the wind. First you say how awesome your cheap eclats are and that all they need is grease to make them fit and work better, now you say the whole design is shit.

no i said the only reason i have them is cos i got them for $20.
i have see so many fuckin people with splined cranks (usually profiles or other 19mm style ones) that they cannot get off their bike cos they fitted them without grease and the arm has seized and rusted onto the axle. you can prevent this from happening with the application of grease, but its still a shit design for all the reasons i said before.
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
so what you're really saying is we need idiot proofed cranks
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline machete

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
so what you're really saying is we need idiot proofed cranks
They will never be made cause some idiot will find a way to mess them up.

Offline Sasha

• Pro_Tom
  • Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »

Man you are pissing in the wind. First you say how awesome your cheap eclats are and that all they need is grease to make them fit and work better, now you say the whole design is shit.

no i said the only reason i have them is cos i got them for $20.
i have see so many fuckin people with splined cranks (usually profiles or other 19mm style ones) that they cannot get off their bike cos they fitted them without grease and the arm has seized and rusted onto the axle. you can prevent this from happening with the application of grease, but its still a shit design for all the reasons i said before.

Older Profile cranks had threaded arms so you could use an actual crank extractor to get them off. They seem to have removed this feature now though.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
either they wobble all the time or theyre so tight you have to cut them off.

What? Just...no.

Older Profile cranks had threaded arms so you could use an actual crank extractor to get them off. They seem to have removed this feature now though.
Which is great if you have to take them off the first time you install them. Miss a couple of grinds and those threads are fucked. Its hard enough to get the flushmount bolt washers out after a few missed grinds.

Offline Thomas031

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
i don't see why people don't just tap the spindle/flush bolts with a rubber mallet or a hammer.
That's what i do with my Kinks, works great. Essentially just a crank puller for cavemen.
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity" - Carlin

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:40 AM »

What? Just...no.

Which is great if you have to take them off the first time you install them. Miss a couple of grinds and those threads are fucked. Its hard enough to get the flushmount bolt washers out after a few missed grinds.
this. they fold over real easily
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

What? Just...no.

this. they fold over real easily

You can fix that problem quite easily, when I had 19mm versions I just ground down the front of the washer 1 or 2mm, perfecto
Vitalbmx: Cellmember
Bmxforum: Cellmember
Bmxmuseum: Cellmember
Ref\'s: http://www.bmx-forum.com/u/64216/cellmember

Offline JFax

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
I have been on profile-esque cranks for years and hate how difficult it is to take the cranks apart. But its not the end of the world as it normally only has to be done maybe once a year to change b/b or sprocket.

The system is not perfect but is developed and tested to work, so why spend money on it when you can just start selling something with a gimmick without much R&D and make a big buck?
Props for eclat and G to try and develop the crank market.
Quote from: andreasTHN;1991264
He is so good that he probably doesnt have a serial number on his frame, just a cheat code...

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »
I have been on profile-esque cranks for years and hate how difficult it is to take the cranks apart. But its not the end of the world as it normally only has to be done maybe once a year to change b/b or sprocket.

The system is not perfect but is developed and tested to work, so why spend money on it when you can just start selling something with a gimmick without much R&D and make a big buck?

I think Eclat might be onto something with their new 48s/ wedge system, even though Profile did it before them on their Column Race cranks, It'll definitely make for easier installation and removal me thinks.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »

I think Eclat might be onto something with their new 48s/ wedge system, even though Profile did it before them on their Column Race cranks, It'll definitely make for easier installation and removal me thinks.

They work slightly different from the Elite cranks, with a bullet looking thing that is threaded and goes in the thru the other side of the spindle that the bolt threads in to, rather than having a taper on the head of the bolt itself.

They do simplify the actual sliding on and off of the arm, it just slides right off, but you need a long 8mm to hold the bullet wedge in place during tightening and loosening. They way I see it, its kind of a pain in the ass and I'd rather just install and uninstall my cranks the old fashioned way, but then again, I have never had a 48 spline crank wobble in such a way that I couldnt stop it. Seriously, the profile wobble thing is blown pretty far out of proportion on this website in my experience.

Offline Cellmember

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

They work slightly different from the Elite cranks, with a bullet looking thing that is threaded and goes in the thru the other side of the spindle that the bolt threads in to, rather than having a taper on the head of the bolt itself.

They do simplify the actual sliding on and off of the arm, it just slides right off, but you need a long 8mm to hold the bullet wedge in place during tightening and loosening. They way I see it, its kind of a pain in the ass and I'd rather just install and uninstall my cranks the old fashioned way, but then again, I have never had a 48 spline crank wobble in such a way that I couldnt stop it. Seriously, the profile wobble thing is blown pretty far out of proportion on this website in my experience.

I guess some poeple just have badluck sometimes when it comes to parts I will say for my self I've had my fair share of defected parts, but for my 3 pairs of profile race's and my columns they've been perfect, no wobble what so ever, can't say the say for a pair of eastern Ti cranks I had a while back couldn't even get to use them because they literally would slide on the 19mm spindle and not only that once the crank bolts where tightened down they would wobble on the splines back and forth and side to side and I was pissed about that because they weren't cheap had them replaced same thing happened not a bad as the first set but still un-rideable so I gave up on trying to get a replacement and wen't back to profiles.

Have you seen the Mutant Bionic cranks, they look like it would be a pain to install un-install, I think it's unnecessary.

Offline couch

• ZodiacEng.
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »
Do they really not come with a tube spacer?

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello