Multimedia

Author Topic: Dennis Enarson Cranks  (Read 32374 times)

Offline Thomas031

• View Profile
Re: Dennis Enarson Cranks
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »

Eclat aeon with a wedge.

Edit: beat me to it. Had the pagr left open haha.

np, team work bruh!

i post the criticism, you post the pics!  8)
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity" - Carlin

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
Doesn't profile do that on the Elite cranks?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:48:09 PM by Stoked »
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
splines are still splines. that said my dirt cheap eclat cranks (whatever the first style ones are called) havent wobbled yet so maybe the larger spindle works better.

its pretty mad that so many companies keep trying to tweak the splined crank interface slightly to make them easier to install and remove when theres this magic stuff called "grease" which is easily available and already does just that.
its also real versatile, you can even use it on other parts of your bike which might get seized! imagine that...
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline joelite44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
not trying to take points away from your comment but let me 1 up it. grease does make every mechanic component better and could also expand the life span of it. 
splines are still splines. that said my dirt cheap eclat cranks (whatever the first style ones are called) havent wobbled yet so maybe the larger spindle works better.

its pretty mad that so many companies keep trying to tweak the splined crank interface slightly to make them easier to install and remove when theres this magic stuff called "grease" which is easily available and already does just that.
its also real versatile, you can even use it on other parts of your bike which might get seized! imagine that...

Offline Kinchy

• Fux wit titles
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
You'd think it would be cheaper to provide a sachet of grease than keep redesigning
Quote from: Broady;3529439
I ran ahead a bit and hid, dropped my jeans and took my top off and started chasing them whilst spraying beer all over them and making weird noises.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »

So if you were designing splined cranks how would you set the fit?

Standard good engineering practice calls for a slight interference (hole smaller than axle) to prevent looseness and wear.
Easy assembly and disassembly calls for a slightly loose fit (hole larger than axle) to allow the axle to slide easily in and out.

You cannot have both and grease will only do so much to ease assembly and disassembly and of course on top of this you need to allow a tolerance....

Having said this, I am obviously not going to defend a design that saws slits into something as highly stressed as this where the slits nobviously massively reduce the torsional strength.

:)
G.

PS nobviously was a typo but too good to "correct"
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline tim_sch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
I don't understand the problem with installing and removing cranks..

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
It costs less to make slits in the axle than to include a crank puller in the box. Plus they can market it as a "new innovative" design to make life easier for bmxers lol. Still don't like the new eclat aeon, and fuck 24mm cranks. Also the ratchet slot on the demolition cranks is useless. Not only is the bb going to shit the bed faster because it's 24mm, but also because kids are going to over tighten them 100%. I get enough torque with allen keys, I don't see a point of more. This is such a gimmick.

to who ever was talking about grease as the magical remedy, it's more of a necessity rather than anything else(any metal on metal should be greased). With tight cranks you will still have trouble even with grease. Thats why the animal cranks come with both grease and a crank puller. In other words, I can see how kids new to bmx can have trouble with 48 spline cranks. This is what the companies are banking for. They are trying to make money from the large, growing demographic of kids just entering bmx. You obviously wouldn't like the cranks or the idea, because you are not the target market. 

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 04:17:18 AM »

Standard good engineering practice calls for a slight interference (hole smaller than axle) to prevent looseness and wear.
Easy assembly and disassembly calls for a slightly loose fit (hole larger than axle) to allow the axle to slide easily in and out.

You cannot have both and grease will only do so much to ease assembly and disassembly and of course on top of this you need to allow a tolerance....

Having said this, I am obviously not going to defend a design that saws slits into something as highly stressed as this where the slits nobviously massively reduce the torsional strength.

G.

well for starters if i was designing cranks i wouldnt use splines. having to ensure a tight enough fit, yet still allowing enough movement to allow them to be removed is exactly why its a shit design. either they wobble all the time or theyre so tight you have to cut them off.
which is why i dont understand why people keep fannying about with this stupid design. yes it was good in the 80s when the alternatives were 1pc cranks or steel cranks with pinchbolts, but its still a design of convenience for profile cos they were making race car steering wheels with the same splined interface or something like that if i remember correctly.

i guess noone wants to spend money developing a different design that might work better (apart from you apparently), so its rehashed splines or rehashed shitter looking powerbite clones (which lots of people dont like anyway because of how they look). as with all bmx parts these days, unless youre patented up to the eyeballs, someone will just rip off your design that you invested in designing in the first place

only reason im riding splined cranks atm way cos they were so cheap. next time ill buy thunderbolts, dont you worry.
always primos before i got wombolts (which is what i had before my eclats), i just ground down the pedal insert too much to feel safe with them (they were first gen so olddddd) and the wedges were crushed and fucked so ironically they had a bit of wobble in them
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »
48 spline cranks are fine if they tolerance/fit is tight enough (cranks pullers yo!)

odyssey wedge design seems good too, but i think it would be better to not have to fuck around with the wedges.

pressfit cranks with tapered spines seem like a good idea to me, not sure it would work with steel cranks though.

i prefer pinch bolt cranks, ones with splines. but as g mentioned somewhere the bolts can get fucked up grinding on them.

in the end i think every crank design is faulted in some way "the best crank" is going to be different for different people, their riding, mechanical abilities/intelligence.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:35:35 AM by Admiral Ackbar »
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline Dr. Steve Brule

• Global Moderator
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

Offline locomotive

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »

G.

well for starters if i was designing cranks i wouldnt use splines. having to ensure a tight enough fit, yet still allowing enough movement to allow them to be removed is exactly why its a shit design. either they wobble all the time or theyre so tight you have to cut them off.

Man you are pissing in the wind. First you say how awesome your cheap eclats are and that all they need is grease to make them fit and work better, now you say the whole design is shit.

I like primo cranks for the strength, but man it took me so long to get use to the boxiness of them. Always smashing into the navicular bone. I think thats the part of the foot, only relying on a quick good search 

Offline MEAT

• I AM THE LAW
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Woah, is this a bg exclusive or am I just miles behind the times? They look like a real improvement.

In reference to the primos that is...

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »
I've never seen those Powerbites before either.

Offline TheMerged

• That bloody website.
    • View Profile
    • http://themerged.com/
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Woah, is this a bg exclusive or am I just miles behind the times? They look like a real improvement.

In reference to the primos that is...

http://themerged.com/spotted-primo-2pc-powerbite-crank/

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello