Multimedia

Author Topic: Mid school "collecting"  (Read 51197 times)

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
Mid school "collecting"
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
I think it is safe to say that if you frequent the Blue you are a devout BMX nerd.  I know that some members on here currently "collect" old and midschool BMX bikes.  Not trying to turn Blue into TheMuseum or anything...  just curious how many people on here "collect" stuff from the mid school era of riding.  I guess mid school is a subjective term, but to me it would be around 1995/96-2003/04.  Basically to me, right when bikes started going to 1 1/8" threadless head tubes up to the point where everything started hitting the light weight phase. 

Do you collect stuff?  What do you collect?  I know some guys only try to collect actual compete bicycles while other guys like to collect a specific part from multiple brands.  One of my buddies is a big sprocket guy and I know of another guy who has a shit ton of bars. 

Just wanted to start a conversation on this to see other people's thoughts.  I myself wouldn't really consider myself a "collector" but when I think of all the random shit I have I guess I could totally get pegged as one.  I guess I would rather be called a collector than a hoarder...haha.  I have started to notice a few of my friends starting to get into building up old bikes from their youth the past few months.  We are all in our early 30's, which seems to be a point in life where people get nostalgic about things from their youth. 
Quote from: bluemeate;3457724
session a quarter everyday!

Offline Narcoleptic Insomniac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mid school "collecting"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
I have an s&m pbr that is yours if you pay shipping.

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:15 PM »
Ha, I'm not looking to buy.  Just curious if other people are noticing the rise of popularity in collecting the mid-school stuff.  It seems like a lot of the hard core old school guys on The Museum are saying that it is a buyer's market on the old school shit right now.  A lot of people are getting out of it and selling off their old stuff.  Like, it seems like the new cool thing to try to snag up on craigslist/ebay/etc is from the midschool era and the old school stuff isn't hitting as hard as it once was.  Maybe the majority of the old school collectors have had enough time to search out all the shit they wanted.  Maybe not.  Who really knows....

Plus, I'm a Standard/T1 fan.  S&M stuff is cool.  But it was never really a big thing where I grew up at because of my close proximity to Standard.  You rode Strip bars, Trailboss/STA and Bash forks where I was at growing up.  That seems to be what all of my local buddies are trying to snag parts wise for their nostalgia builds. Unless somebody has a super bad ass Heavy As Fuck frame they would want to get rid of.... I'm good on the S&M frames. 

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
I enjoy old SBC stuff.

Offline Alice Glass

• is a schmuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
I have some new condition FBM Old76 bars if anyone wants em PM me

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!  Quit trying to turn this into a for sale/want to buy thread.  There is a section for that located here:

http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php/board,14.0.html 

Please try to stick to the conversation requested.  I know we all want a quick $20 so we can go buy a fucking nugget of weed, but hell!  Don't thread jack to try and sell your shit unless you are breaking me off a piece of said nugget of weed for my commission percentage of creating a thread for you to get high off of.

Please and thank you. 

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
Milhous, I'm going to send you a PM on the Museum about some shit I am working on for a BMX swap meet/show sort of deal.  I am curious your input on a lot of this stuff as I know you are a like minded individual. 

Offline hugh.

• Pedo-Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
I'm a bit of a weird case with this.

I never rode during the 'midschool' period but I just think most parts made these days look shit. It seems like during 1995-2005 you could tell what kind of frame someone was riding just by looking from a mile away. Now everything looks the same.

I also like how much tougher older parts can be. I fucked up a few 36h wheels before I moved to 48h.

I think I should start a collection now.

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Milhous, I'm going to send you a PM on the Museum about some shit I am working on for a BMX swap meet/show sort of deal.  I am curious your input on a lot of this stuff as I know you are a like minded individual. 

Sounds good! Hit me up.

My original Trail Boss (my first Standard ever) that I purchased new from Trend in 1997 recently showed up at my LBS. It has been through a few owners since I sold it around 2000ish. It is super beat up, but I want to try and get it back to hang on the wall as a sentimental piece.

Offline badlight

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
Ive got a collection of seats and stems. Not era specific, just shit I think is rad.

Offline peggiesmalls

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
im very nostalgic about parts i didn't own like stuff i seen in magazine and catalogs.

Offline Cole

• Terribly Lonely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
What do you guys do with these collections? Just build bikes up to have?

Lately I've wanted to buy a couple frames I lusted over back in the day and hang them on a wall. But it seems silly to do that.
Quote from: Sir smashalottavaginis;3362940
Damn.  Now I\'m torn between c***s or satan

Offline milhous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
The old bikes just hang in the computer room.
Majority of my random old parts are on a shelf andwalls in the same room.

Offline Stoked

• dood.sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
I tend to collect random smaller parts but never get to use them.  RNC and FBM clamps I can't use because both my frames have integrated.  Larger sprockets and fullguards, small brake parts, Ti bits and other crap.
Quote from: i am hollywood;3458649
The Ezra 'Q' freecoaster should be out in time to put on your 2012 christmas list

Offline skateparkrider

• Ramper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »
What do you guys do with these collections? Just build bikes up to have?

Lately I've wanted to buy a couple frames I lusted over back in the day and hang them on a wall. But it seems silly to do that.

My end goal is to be able to build up bikes that can actually be ridden and enjoyed.  But I have way too many frames to actually build them all up. 

Depending on the setting, a frame on the wall is pretty cool.  It is for sure a conversation piece, that's for sure. 

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special