Multimedia

Author Topic: The "what the hell is Odyssey / Gspprt cooking up" thread.  (Read 95354 times)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
Re: The "what the hell is Odyssey / Gspprt cooking up" thread.
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
didn't/dont companies doing pivotal seats have to pay something to macneil or whatever to use the design?
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline Mychaylo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
didn't/dont companies doing pivotal seats have to pay something to macneil or whatever to use the design?
yes they do. Glad that Miron might come out of bmx comfortably.
Lovin' is what i got.

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
Not anymore iirc.

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:57 AM »
Not anymore iirc.

You remember incorrectly.

Pivotal is still something that has to be paid for, as is Tripod. Socket drive is FREE to use.

Socket drive is starting to pick up now that Spline drive is turning into such a clusterfuck of sizes. By doing socket drive sprockets companies have a choice of making cranks that directly incorporate the socket drive or any spline they like and then an appropriate adaptor.

Currently, there is one size for 3/4" (19mm) splines.
Then there is 22mm spline for Taiwan made cranks OR 22mm Profile spline (unfortunately they are just different enough for this to be a pig, the Profile one will fit onto Taiwan cranks (although it's a pretty loose wobbly fit) but the Taiwan one will NOT fit on Profile 22mm splines (in fact even the Profile spline sprockets on Profile cranks are a very difficult install due to tightness).
Then of course there is the 15/16" (24mm approx) spline that is starting to come on line.

For bike shops to stock several sprocket designs in different tooth numbers, colours AND then add numerous spline drive options is obviously getting pretty crazy. So doing socket drive for all sprockets and then just stocking a few adaptors is a much more appealing option.

So far there are about 3 companies doing socket drive sprockets but several more ore working on it.

I hope this makes sense.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline BilboBaggins

• Formerly Mike Oxlong, Formerly barcodebilly, Formerly Billy, Bg Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »
Hmmmm. My bad I thought I read something about the MacNeil patent being up and whatever. Maybe I'm cracked out.

Offline streetStreet

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
If you dont know, now you know, N word.

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
22mm what wont fit on profile 22mm whats? I dont follow.

Offline GUMP_

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
I think g is saying that profile 22mm spline drive is different to Taiwan made 22mm spline drive

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• O.G. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
its coz profile uses imperial measurements so their 22mm is actually whichever imperial fraction is closest to 22mm, which is 7/8" or 22.225

basically, profile is retarded

#muurica
Quote from: blueee;3557172
i went to a rave at a zoo one time. although i didnt give the dolphins heroin substitute

Offline DontcallmeKenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
Im confused only because i have the columns with a mutiny sprocket. I dont know if he was saying the taiwanese spindles wont work with profile sprockets or what.

Offline dude...

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
i guess it depends on the tolerances between different manufacturers/factories
this year i am going to have sex and it will be awesome

Offline RighteousBMX

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:41 AM »
Profile spindles will work with Taiwanese 48 spline cranks but it'll be a loose fit. Taiwanese 48 spline spindles will not work with Profile cranks. He was just highlighting how the subtle differences in spindles just complicates things even further for shops, let alone all the different sprocket drive options (19mm, 22mm, 24mm).

Offline G

• G-Sport
  • O.G. Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS ALL IN RESPECT OF 22mm. IF YOU HAVE 3/4"/19mm THEN YOU ARE FINE.

I think g is saying that profile 22mm spline drive is different to Taiwan made 22mm spline drive

YES.

its coz profile uses imperial measurements so their 22mm is actually whichever imperial fraction is closest to 22mm, which is 7/8" or 22.225

basically, profile is retarded

#muurica

NO. Profile is not using 7/8" (22.225mm) like they did on the OLD SS cranks. They are using 22mm but it is fractionally different to the 22mm that Taiwan uses. Different tooth angles and major and minor diameters.

i guess it depends on the tolerances between different manufacturers/factories

NO.
It isnt down to tolerance, it's actually different at a fundamental level.

Profile spindles will work with Taiwanese 48 spline cranks but it'll be a loose fit. Taiwanese 48 spline spindles will not work with Profile cranks. He was just highlighting how the subtle differences in spindles just complicates things even further for shops, let alone all the different sprocket drive options (19mm, 22mm, 24mm).

NO.
The Profile spindle MIGHT hammer into a Taiwan crank arm, but I very much doubt it, and it sure as hell wouldn't be easy to get off again. The Profile spindle is a little bigger.

Im confused only because i have the columns with a mutiny sprocket. I dont know if he was saying the taiwanese spindles wont work with profile sprockets or what.

You aren't the only one. Its a complete mess.

If you have anything other than Profile cranks, then ANY sprocket will fit... I think. (even Profile though it will be pretty loose and will be able to wobble)

If you have Profile 22mm cranks then the Profile sprocket is a very tight fit but it is also the only sprocket you should try to get on there.

Tree sprockets seem to be a third size even though they are Taiwan made too.

As you can probably imagine this is a huge headache for everyone. By doing the Socket drive we can avoid all this crap. I think our plan is to supply our socket drive sprockets with a 3/4" 19mm adaptor and then sell a 22mm Taiwan adaptor as a separate part, hopefully Profile will then make a socket drive adaptor to suit their cranks.

But for the average rider my advice would be to just buy Socket drive Thunderbolts and one of our socket drive sprockets and dont worry about any of it.

:)
G.
G-Sport. Making the worlds finest BMX parts since 1994.

Please DON\'T try to PM me. Please Email me instead... email is g at gsport.co.uk

Offline KillSeth

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:18 AM »
Would it be reasonable for a machine shop to machine a sprocket to accept socket drive? Or is it something better suited for the actual time of manufacture?

Offline tecnic1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Bolt drive suddenly seems pretty nice.

Bikeguide.org - Bike maintenance for BMX'ers

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

-->

Tell them " Sheepdog sent you", for a little something special

Click this image for a little something special
Hello